Cooking/Baking/Smoking/Whatever

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsBrew

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
Smoked Beef Shoulder Roast. First time. Not sure I did it right but the roast ended up being delish.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Great. Now I am hungry. <>

Yeah but I hear that bar bill when you get back is a killer.

Reactions: DevilsBrew
Did somebody say "Island rum" ???????? hello.......

Root vegetables here, lots of baked, stir fried, boiled, root veggies. Tis the last of what we're digging out of the garden, root veggies and gords unless I convince her that we should go out for a meal then we get a break....

Not sure I did it right but the roast ended up being delish.

I think you answered your own question... now I hate you with all my might (and stomach)

Reactions: DAKSY
That looks wicked good.

Sauteed some mushrooms, didn't know what do to after that. Roasted some garlic and didn't know what to do with that. Finally figured I would throw them in a pot and make a veggie soup. Doesn't look very good from the picture but it has been cooking for hours and is very tasty.

Venison back straps, cut into cubes, onions, garlic, peppers, Jack daniels honey , apple juice salt and bacon. In the oven for 3 hours at 275. Then I ate it.

Attachments

• venison1.JPG
    venison1.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 288
  • venison2.JPG
    venison2.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 277
Home made mushroom soup ... Some of the household have issues with MSG that is found in the canned soups, so I make it from scratch and freeze. Use it with pork chops as a gravy too... Of course, with the official taste tester in residence, some never made it to the freezer;lol

Attachments

• mushroom soup 002 (800x533).jpg
    mushroom soup 002 (800x533).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 282
  • mushroom soup 001 (533x800).jpg
    mushroom soup 001 (533x800).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 305
Home made mushroom soup ... Some of the household have issues with MSG that is found in the canned soups, so I make it from scratch and freeze. Use it with pork chops as a gravy too... Of course, with the official taste tester in residence, some never made it to the freezer;lol

I wonder how that stuff would travel to NY packed in dry ice..

Probably as well as the scallops hubby brought home from Newfoundland packed in dry ice (used to work off-shore) ... they cooked up pretty yummy. But sorry - not happening;lol

Probably as well as the scallops hubby brought home from Newfoundland packed in dry ice (used to work off-shore) ... they cooked up pretty yummy. But sorry - not happening;lol

Just made it worse mentioning scallops! A few weeks ago my son and I harvested about a dozen squirrels over a long weekend and made a stew using "out of the can" cream of mushroom as a nice base. Fed 6 men lunch and dinner during sunday football. I should have posted some of those photos

My son was out partridge (grouse) hunting on the week-end when he was home. Took them back to Thunder Bay with him:(

Last night I made (DELETED) poppers. I took a fresh (DELETED) loin and cut it against the grain about 5\8 ths of an inch thick. Pounded out both sides with a meat mallet until the diameter went from about 2 1/2" to about 5" and less than a 1/4" thick. After that I dipped it in teriyaki sauce, laid it flat and sprinkled with garlic powder. I placed about a teaspoon of (DELETED) breakfast sausage and a teaspoon of cream cheese in the middle of the flattened (DELETED) loin. Rolled it up and wrapped with 1/2 a slice of hickory smoked bacon, than toothpicked everything together. I cooked it on a hot charcoal grill with hickory chips added to the pan. I cooked them for about 8 minutes, flipped them over and cooked about 8 minutes more until the cheese started to melt out the ends. The final tally was 22 (DELETED) poppers! How were they? They were (DELETED) delicious!

Reactions: DevilsBrew
Cajun (Andouille Sausage) Paella

Looks may be deceiving, but where is the seasoning?

It's there. I added saffron, parsley, garlic, and seasoned homemade chicken broth to the rice. Then there was the residual stuff from the spicy sausage, mussels, and shrimp. Also tossed in salt and pepper.

Oh, yeah...onions, peas, carrots.

And red pepper flakes. That should be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.