Cooking on/in a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjnamtiw

Minister of Fire
In a place far, far away a long time ago, I had a Franklin fireplace with the swing in cooking grate. All winter I would drive the neighbors nuts with the smell of steaks or pork chops cooking on a wood fire. I wonder if it would be possible to create such a system to cook in a pellet stove! Put the stove on LOW, swing in the steaks, and have them ready in a few minutes.
Gotta be a way to do that!

I used the old Whitfield WP1 as a vertical cooker for brats etc as it had a very tall burn chamber. The Pellifier got a few meals cooked in it as well.

I'd be worried about what grease would do to the inner stove workings.

The old Englander 25 PDV I had years ago (the design may have changed since then) has the top of the HX as the top of the stove, consequently, the stove top got hot enough to cook on. Was the only pellet stove you could put a pot on and boil water....

Traeger makes a nice pellet BBQ, I have one.

The old Englander 25 PDV I had years ago (the design may have changed since then) has the top of the HX as the top of the stove, consequently, the stove top got hot enough to cook on. Was the only pellet stove you could put a pot on and boil water....

Traeger makes a nice pellet BBQ, I have one.
I have a pellet-burning pizza oven! 850 degrees!

Anything is possible, after all, the Crosslink is inside a Harman, Countryside or a couple other brands to make HW for heat.....

Whats for dinner ma? Pelletsteaks.;lol

Never thought of it, but ya. In the P61 I don't see why you couldn't stand a fire brick up on each side of the burn pot and place an over baking pan or cookie sheet across that, roast onions and things in the pan. Just put the stove in a low Stove Temp Burn. I guess it's worth a try but then we have a commercial grade cook stove, has a center grill, an over with broiler, four burners, so what's the point ?

Nothing tastes as good as ANYTHING cooked over wood! Think campfire!

I had a few bags of pellets earlier this year that must have had some hickory sawdust mixed in with them. They smelled delicious when I filled the stove. They would have been great for cooking or smoking.

Think campfire!
The last camp fire I lit off was memorable, I used gasoline to light it off. Ignition was apocalyptic in nature but we had an instant campfire though. Neighboring campers stuck their noses in our site to see just a plain old camp fire burning. But wow, what a start up ! I mean like a 10 ft tall, by 6 ft around wham, that died down to a burning kindling fire within two minutes. Oh, yes, I did know to stand back and throw the match and indeed the initial flash of the fumes was violent..

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
Hmm, got me thinking about baked potatoes now. Living alone, I don't bother even lighting the gas stove or oven most weeks (I literally don't remember last time I lit it - maybe just after Christmas?). I do most of my cooking in a crock pot, but that is vegie soups, hearty meat stews, and lasagna that feed me for a week. Be nice to have a baked spud every once in a while; A little butter (the real stuff), sour cream, cheddar cheese, chives and bacon - I can almost smell it now :) .

Reactions: alternativeheat
One fall I raked up this humongous pile of leaves probably 4+ feet high. I doused it with liquid from a can marked kerosene and tried to strike a match but they were old and damp. Went inside to get new ones. I struck the new match and threw it toward the pile. It didn't even get to the pile before this VERY LOUD explosion occurred, knocking me on my ass and sending burning leaves in every direction. It was so loud that the neighbors came out looking for a downed airplane! :)
Further analysis found GASOLINE in the KEROSENE can! Fumes are MUCH more dangerous than liquids, let me tell you!!!

One fall I raked up this humongous pile of leaves probably 4+ feet high. I doused it with liquid from a can marked kerosene and tried to strike a match but they were old and damp. Went inside to get new ones. I struck the new match and threw it toward the pile. It didn't even get to the pile before this VERY LOUD explosion occurred, knocking me on my ass and sending burning leaves in every direction. It was so loud that the neighbors came out looking for a downed airplane! :)
Further analysis found GASOLINE in the KEROSENE can! Fumes are MUCH more dangerous than liquids, let me tell you!!!
Oh yes ! My camp fire was at night, you should see the sideways action of those fumes going off. Honestly it looked like these slow motion videos you see of a nuke or super high intensity bomb going off !! But it destroys the evidence for you. My fellow campers came and saw nothing unusual. It was a blue flash sideways around the fire pit ring and orange flame straight up. BUt when they showed up it was a normal looking camp fire.

This is basically what I had in the Franklin. I burned oak slab wood. $10 for two pickup loads.
franklin_grill.png

an oil burner
Its a bio oil burner :). Lot of renderings go into bio oil that's used for some heating fuel and biodiesel

Reactions: Ambient
, I did know to stand back and throw the match and indeed the initial flash of the fumes was violent
Neighbor ran out of matches try so went back to the house to get some more and when he returned the mix was just right. Beard and eye brows were gone. Glad he moved. Was a walking disaster.

Its a bio oil burner :). Lot of renderings go into bio oil that's used for some heating fuel and biodiesel
I was reading about Solarzyme and their efforts. I wonder if they could make a pellet from Algae, it doubles itself at such an incredible speed. Like gallons in a day from one cell.

Neighbor ran out of matches try so went back to the house to get some more and when he returned the mix was just right. Beard and eye brows were gone. Glad he moved. Was a walking disaster.
Yes I've been around gasoline long enough to know a little goes a long ways. I normally use charcoal lighter fluid but the can we had was essentially empty.

Research at the University of Minnesota had the stuff growing very well in tanks and are trying it for treating waste water with the benefits of clean water, oil and feed stock. One could grow enough at home to meet ones needs for fuel etc from sewage but the trick is it needs some stress to produce oil well but should be easy to genetically engineer IMO as its a simple organism.

I resemble that remark!

Research at the University of Minnesota had the stuff growing very well in tanks and are trying it for treating waste water with the benefits of clean water, oil and feed stock. One could grow enough at home to meet ones needs for fuel etc from sewage but the trick is it needs some stress to produce oil well but should be easy to genetically engineer IMO as its a simple organism.
Heck, there's PLENTY of STRESS in my household!!!!!

I was reading about Solarzyme and their efforts. I wonder if they could make a pellet from Algae, it doubles itself at such an incredible speed. Like gallons in a day from one cell.
Kinda sounds like Solyndra......

Reactions: rona
Status
Not open for further replies.