cooking with coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bartlett7516

Oct 22, 2008
Fort Scott KS
Does anyone ever use wood coals out of their stove in the bbq grill? I guess it would not matter what kind of wood it is as long as not pine or cedar right since people smoke with hardwood anyway. Any suggestions on this idea appreciated. PS to lazy to go buy charcoal when I have plenty in the stove!

yes the BBQ is outside and yes I BBQ when ever I feel like it.
I use the coals out of wood stove all the time when it is running to fire my Weber grill.
MMM pork steak over Hickory coals life don't get much better.

I bbq year round in KS.... You cant cook a real steak in the oven!! Right on crazy_dan what part of MO are you from I liv in southeast KS about 15 miles from Nevada MO

Hedgefire formerly (hedgeburner) said:
I bbq year round in KS.... You cant cook a real steak in the oven!! Right on crazy_dan what part of MO are you from I liv in southeast KS about 15 miles from Nevada MO

near Jefferson City

Well Ill tell ya . I'm in NY and its cold around here so i just pop the door open on my wood stove and use a 2 sided grill in the wood stove . right in the LR I dont even go out side . I like venison on there to. some times i just cut strips and cook them on a stick .

We keep a small fire going out back in the yard most of the summer and sometimes I grab a few coals out of that, put them in an old cast aluminum pan, place a lightweight grill on that and cook MEAT!
Everyone needs to know the Ready Rule : This rule above all others heed,Have ready all you need;Before you start you need to READ, Aunt Bessie's Woodstove Cookbook.

Yeah I need to get me a double sided grill for my stove along with a woodstove cookbook. We are getting our first hard freeze for the year tonight so I have the stove rolling right now even though its only 55 outside. I cooked some steaks a little bit ago on oak coals out of my stove they turned out great I also cooked baked potatos in the stove and they were also good. Thanks for all the info!!!

PS Does anyone know of any websites with wood stove recipes?

If you check on ebay under -wood stoves, you can find lots of stuff including wood stove cookbooks.

Search for dutch oven or crock pot recipes. A lot of woodstove cooking involves the use of a dutch oven on top of the stove. Just remember, it's slow cooking so give the dishes a lot more time to cook--it's a lot like using a crock pot.

I think using one of these would be nice for roasts --
Romertopf3942.jpg

Last thursday I cooked boneless skinless chk. br. in my stove. All I did was pull them out of the freezer, lay them on alum. foil, dump a little italian dressing on them, roll up foil such that it doesnt leak, place on top of wood and cook for about 15-18 minutes. Perfect juicy chk. br. with a hint of italian. My wife loved them. I cook right in the fire box all the time, either wrap it in foil or place it in those aluminum loaf pans and cover with foil. loaf pans are 2 for $1.00 so they are disposable.

Status
Not open for further replies.