Morning coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

marty319

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
I must admit I get jealous of all the people on here having access to oak and all the other hardwoods they are burning.i only have jack pine and a little bit of poplar unless I want to buy wood and that's not happening.anyways loaded the osburn up with pine last night at 8 pm and these are the coals I have at 5 am.pretty happy with the osburn 3300 burn times.

20240112_050341.jpg

I have the drolet equivalent.

I get similar results with pine and aspen. Not necessarily in really cold weather like now tho. We need btu's at -45... I'm not complaining, as the wood is free and close by.

It's been on a drying trend here for basically 30 years, so the trees have grown slow. Some of the pine is very dense. 10" pine around here is over 50 years old, generally. Some of the jackpine is very, very hard. Especially the gnarly branches.

We have a wirehaired jack russel. What an incredible little beastie she is!

Reactions: marty319
I actually prefer pine. I have burned ash and oak and always ended up with too many coals in my way of operation. Trembling aspen for shoulder season, have a stand within 100 feet of back door, produces lots of ash though. Pine for winter heating or larch if I can get my hands on some. Ash production with those species is minimal. I have no problem heating 1735 square feet of house and keeping the temperature warm enough to keep the wife happy!

I must admit I get jealous of all the people on here having access to oak and all the other hardwoods they are burning.i only have jack pine and a little bit of poplar unless I want to buy wood and that's not happening.anyways loaded the osburn up with pine last night at 8 pm and these are the coals I have at 5 am.pretty happy with the osburn 3300 burn times.

View attachment 322538
When I see embers like that I smile, life is easy. Stir em around toss more on top. Start the coffee.

I actually prefer pine. I have burned ash and oak and always ended up with too many coals in my way of operation. Trembling aspen for shoulder season, have a stand within 100 feet of back door, produces lots of ash though. Pine for winter heating or larch if I can get my hands on some. Ash production with those species is minimal. I have no problem heating 1735 square feet of house and keeping the temperature warm enough to keep the wife happy!
I haven't burned pine until this season, it just was not the "easy " wood where we lived. 20 years back a LOT of second growth Hackberry. 4 ft diameter stuff being cleared out of fence rows by the 100s of cords. The ash bore came through over a decade ago and that was the easy wood. I really like Ash. Fast cure hot and almost no ash. The embers are just a different burn style really. I would feed a 5" bed all day keeping it stirred so it was live all the way down. Love the heat off those little bright blue fingers. Burn it down hour and a half before bed load it up and screw down the air for the night.

I have more pine here than I can burn and it's just too easy. It's dry when I drag it out of the woods. Split it and ready to rock in a week or so.

View attachment 322538
If it helps, I’m jealous how you can accomplish that with pine. I couldn’t. 😀

Reactions: all night moe
If it helps, I’m jealous how you can accomplish that with pine. I couldn’t. 😀
I hear ya woodtick, it takes time.

This was from yesterday's burn raked out ready for the overnight load of oak. Burned pine all day outside of a couple of oak splits to bump up cat temps.

IMG_20240112_215344670_HDR.jpg

I've switched from Doug Fir to Maple during this bitter cold spell. Hot coals 9 hrs. later is much easier burning hardwood, even with the stove being pushed for heat.

=43 c last couple mornings,just running 2 eco fans per stove most of the time.I have boatloads of tamarack,maple or oak would be nice.

Red maple is a nice wood for pushing stoves during cold spells. Dries fast, gives off great heat, off gasses quickly, and gives the right amount of coals...more than soft wood but much less than oak. The only down side is it makes TONS of ash.

Reactions: jaybird396
I must admit I get jealous of all the people on here having access to oak and all the other hardwoods they are burning.i only have jack pine and a little bit of poplar unless I want to buy wood and that's not happening.
Well, here in France, it’s actually not so easy to find soft wood, and reforestation is well done here. For me, buying wood is less expensive than electricity or LP…and my local guy only has hardwood…and beetles killed almost all the elm and elm-like species on my property…I pretty much have nothing but hardwood…I do have some poplar which I typically use for cold starts.