Cookstove comparison. Esse 990 vs Waterford Stanley vs ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joyboy

Burning Hunk
Jan 22, 2017
Wyoming
I have two possible situations I would like feedback on.

We are thinking about remodeling our kitchen. There is a fireplace on the other side of the kitchen wall that I am thinking about reworking into an alcove to put a wood burning cookstove in. If we did this I would want a cooking only type of woodstove. Something insulated to not put out a lot of heat. I would want to be able to use it for as much of the year as possible. Like the esse 990 perhaps?

The other option is in a back room that I have currently an old Home comfort cookstove on a 6” chimney. I can close off the room from the house and open two sliding glass doors to vent heat outside, so being insulated isn’t as important. But I don’t think I need something that would heat 3000’ either. The Waterford might be a option.

Performance wise I would like a stove that can hold enough wood to cook a large meal without refilling. Has controllable heat to oven and will last.

If anyone has thoughts or opinions on those two stoves or any other that would work, I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks

I love the Esse but really cannot justify the cost of them. Upon a recent trip to our local hardware store I learned of these ones- http://www.jaroby.com/en/produits.php?cat=15&sec=1 apparently they are even epa approved.
I understand the justification part. The only reason I have been is this is a family home that we plan on keeping. I would hate it if 5 years from now I was wishing I had got something else. Lol

Have you seen these in person? Do you think they would last a couple generations? They look nice and seem to be running in the 4500-5000 range.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Non UL approved up here just about makes an house insurance approved install impossible. The clearances are wild and then they might nix it anyway

Non UL approved up here just about makes an house insurance approved install impossible. The clearances are wild and then they might nix it anyway
Just talked to my insurance company and since it’s not a “heater” all they need is for it to be installed conforming to manufacturer specs.

That was surprising. In a good way.

Reactions: KodiakII
Well kodiak, I sent payment for the esse. I will have to do some thinking on how to move it into place now. Thing weighs almost a thousand pounds.

Hope alls been well in your neck of the woods!

Well kodiak, I sent payment for the esse. I will have to do some thinking on how to move it into place now. Thing weighs almost a thousand pounds.

That's a beauty. Keep us posted on the install and operation. I used to lust after this stove and tried to figure out how to work it into our home scheme.

That's a beauty. Keep us posted on the install and operation. I used to lust after this stove and tried to figure out how to work it into our home scheme.
Will do. I’m excited to do some cooking. There’s a lot of questions I have for this stove. Guess I’ll have some answers pretty soon. Lol

Will do. I’m excited to do some cooking. There’s a lot of questions I have for this stove. Guess I’ll have some answers pretty soon. Lol
I cooked on an old turn of the century wood cook stove many years back. At first my results were dicey but eventually I managed pretty well. It baked the nicest bread loaves. They were very evenly browned.

I cooked on an old turn of the century wood cook stove many years back. At first my results were dicey but eventually I managed pretty well. It baked the nicest bread loaves. They were very evenly browned.
I have an old Home comfort wood burning cook stove. I really enjoy cooking on it but it definitely needs to be cold to use it. It really puts out the heat. I have to turn bread about 2/3rds of the way through to evenly brown. It has pretty thin sheet metal walls in the oven. It’s been fun learning.

I have an old Home comfort wood burning cook stove. I really enjoy cooking on it but it definitely needs to be cold to use it. It really puts out the heat. I have to turn bread about 2/3rds of the way through to evenly brown. It has pretty thin sheet metal walls in the oven. It’s been fun learning.
Yes, it had to be cold, but then I'd be running the stove all day long. It took awhile to get the mass of cast iron heated, but once it was up to temp the heat was wonderful.

Reactions: Joyboy

Brutally cold (for our standards anyway) up till now, waiting for a good dose of freezing rain tomorrow.
I am going to "suffer" through the rest of the year with my PE T6, but am thinking seriously about the J.A. Roby next year.
How has your winter been so far?

Brutally cold (for our standards anyway) up till now, waiting for a good dose of freezing rain tomorrow.
I am going to "suffer" through the rest of the year with my PE T6, but am thinking seriously about the J.A. Roby next year.
How has your winter been so far?
Been good here. Weather has been cold but warmed up to 30 for the last couple days. Seems like a heat wave.

Personally, I just got a new job so I won’t be working nights and weekends anymore. More time for the family. Going to be a lifestyle change for sure. Lol

Awesome. Stinking awesome. :cool:

Reactions: KodiakII