Cool Google Doodle today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
The Father of Industrial Design.......kudos to any of you who enjoy this stuff!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Loewy

I didn't even know what industrial design meant until about 1980 when I met Bob Cawley at a trade show and asked him what his field of work was....he was showing not only his stoves, but some furniture, etc.

He said "I'm an industrial designer"...

Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 1.49.32 PM.png

I first heard of loewy when I got into restoring IH tractors. He did the letter series, 1939 - 54. He gave the tractor's a streamlined appearence, but I really don't see where he added any function to it. His design's were pretty much unchanged until the late 50's actually, when IH went to a more squared off sheet metal look.

Ramond Lowey was one of my favorite American designers. He had a huge influence on our culture. Besides the fantastic Penn RR locomotives my favorites were the '53 Studebaker and the Sunbeam Alpine. He's considered the father of industrial design.

The main goal is not to complicate the already difficult life of the consumer. -- Raymond Loewy

Last edited:
My next door neighbor bought one brand new in 1963. I thought that was about the coolest car around.

Yes, my brother-in-law's brother got a customized '53 that was dechromed and lowered. It looked very cool. I personally lusted after a Silver Hawk.

The first Avanti was in 1962.

Status
Not open for further replies.