Copper anti seize

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dh1989

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2014
East Bay Rhode Island
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the copper anti seize that is typically recommended for lubricating internal stove parts (such as bypass lever mechanisms). When I cleaned my stove last week I lubricated my bypass as usual, and decided I would give a dab on the door hinges and latch to provide some lubrication there. I've been dealing with a burning dust type odor for a week now. I thought it was just dust burning off, but I noticed today that the door hinges are smoking when the stove crosses 600F. Apparently the anti seize rated for 1800F smokes at 600F. I tried getting the stove over 700F for a while to see if it would cure, but it just stank the house up more and still seems to put off a burnt odor at lower temperatures. I will now be shutting the stove down and scrubbing it all off as soon as it cools.

That would be the petroleum oil base of the anti seize, I've used it on exhaust manifold nuts and bolts and have smelled it when breaking in the engine. I would recommend plain powdered graphite dry lube for the hinges.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: begreen
I once used 90 weight gear oil for hinge lube. That stuff stunk for a long time.

I once used 90 weight gear oil for hinge lube. That stuff stunk for a long time.

But it smells so good coming out of a differential!

But it smells so good coming out of a differential!

It stinks right out of the bottle. I once was wearing one of those fancy watches with the metal wristband that looks like a whole bunch of chain links when changing the diff lube on a Jeep CJ5. The cover popped off and dumped the lube onto that watchband and while it was nicely lubed, it stunk forever.

Figured I would post an update. I cleaned most of it off but couldn't get it all, as some of it seemed to have cured and baked on. I ran the stove full open for a while and it had a final off gassing and is now back to normal. On the plus side the stuff that baked on now seems to be lubricating the hinges nicely.

I will keep the graphite in mind for next season.

As long as it's working! It's all about the results with lube! I'll have more info on how the graphite lasts at the end of the year too.