cord of split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixroses

Jan 31, 2008
alaska
Just wondering how a cord of split wood compares to a cord of rounds...same dimensions...is it the same BTU content. If I burn 18-20 cord of rounds how does that compare to quantity of splits??

Steve

Plenty of debate on this lately if you search. I think it is probably a wash but depends on the shape of the rounds, the size of the rounds and how well they are stacked compared to how tight you stack splits.

Yes, it depends on many things but the rounds will usually last longer in the stove.

stihlwoody said:
If I burn 18-20 cord of rounds

Holy crap! That's a lot of wood.

Yes but the winters are a bit longer and colder there too.

Yep, 2200sf home, 700sf shop, domestic hot water, 5 girls/women and as little as 6 hours of daylight,winter temps of average 10 degrees with lows of -40,all combine for lots of wood smoke...
Steve

A cord of rounds should have a higher BTU content (assuming identical wood species and moisture content). From my point of view a cord of splits has alot more air gaps and thus there is simply less wood than there is in a cord of rounds.

countrybois said:
BrowningBAR said:
stihlwoody said:
If I burn 18-20 cord of rounds

Holy crap! That's a lot of wood.

My guess is that's in face cords. Puts it at about 6 or seven cords. Maybe??
Do they sell face cords in Alaska? It could be an old smoke dragon OWB. Guys with them around here can go through that much wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.