Cord of wood diagram?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

68dodgeramman

Hearth Supporter
Oct 24, 2008
Northeastern Lower Michigan
Does anyone have a diagram of a face cord and a pulp cord? My wife always needs a picture to understand what I'm talking about. Lol. Yep it's true. I found one online but it's not clear and the resolution is bad. I have to email it to her so I need it to be fairly legible. Thanks.

No need to diagram. It's easy. A full cord is measured by a stack 8 feet long, 4 ft high and 4 feet back. Picture your wood pile stacked on a few pallets. The pallet size is 8 feet long and 4 feet wide. You would get three rows of 16" splits on the pallet to make up the 4 feet wide and pile to 4 feet high. There's your full cord.

A face cord is one row of 16" splits measuring 8 feets long and 4 feet high.

Do a google search and look for images, you'll find plenty.

Would a sheet of plywood help her visualize it?

SolarAndWood said:
Would a sheet of plywood help her visualize it?
... or two sheets at right angles to each other.

Even two sheets of OSB would be an expensive lesson. Get a piece of paper and draw a rectangular cube 4ftx4ftx8ft, or, check google images.

Yes, a sheet of plywood is 4'x8'. Lay this down on the ground and there's your footprint. Remember you need to go up 4' all the way around. Just an FYI, it's really hard to stack a cord of wood in this manner. You need space in between rows to allow air flow. Once your wood is dry and ready to burn, you can certainly pack it this tight when stacking.

And to end up with a full cord after the wood dries, you need to stack it higher than 4' because it will shrink quite a bit depending on what type of wood it is. I noticed the ash I cut last winter that was stacked approximately at 4 1/2' high is now just at or under 4'.

Here's a few more
cordRF_Full.jpg

wood_stack.jpg

index.9.gif

wendi1.1.gif

I always thought a good way to visualize a full cord would be to picture a standard 8' pickup truck box stacked with firewood 4' high, 4' across, and 8' (the length of the box) long. Or a 24' long row, 16" wide and 4' high. Or for example if your garage is 24' long, picture a 4' high stack of firewood the length of the garage.

Carbon_Liberator said:
Here's a few more
cordRF_Full.jpg

After that is split, it will easily stack out to a cord and a half.

madrone said:
what's a pulp cord?

A pulp cord is what some of the loggers up here call a full cord. And thanks for the help you guys. I just needed something to email her quick. And these worked great. Thanks again!

Each one of these rows is 24' long between 4-5' tall and 16-18" wide. More less a cord a piece.......

Attachments

• P9260100.jpg
    P9260100.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,233
Lar-Bud said:
madrone said:
what's a pulp cord?

A pulp cord is what some of the loggers up here call a full cord. And thanks for the help you guys. I just needed something to email her quick. And these worked great. Thanks again!

A pulpwood cord in the Wisconsin woods is 133.3 cu. ft. as opposed to a standard cord of wood, which is 128 cu. ft. Pulpwood sticks are cut to 100 inches long.... 8.333' x 4' x 4' = 133.3 cu. ft.

Today I wish I had a nickel for every pulp stick I sawed.
jackpine

Status
Not open for further replies.