Cordwood Pricing??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
On the Pellet side of life, there's a posting thread for pricing in a particular area. Looked around a bit and didn't spot it, if there is one, for cordwood.

Being now recently retired and had no intention of spending 'all' winter here.. I'm running out of good dry wood. That lead me to buying a pallet of Homefires to supplement.

As good as the Homefires are, nothing beats good old dry hardwood! This is the most I have ever paid for cordwood... But... These guys come highly recommended.

Here's the question in two parts:
1) If you're in Southern NH, have you ever bought from Burl Logging?
2) If in my area, what are you seeing for 'dry' wood?

Full disclosure on my part... ready for this (it's killing me)... $350 a cord, delivered. Said to be clean, 16" lengths, year and a half old (in-the-round, processed by order), mix of Maple and Oak (our predominant wood around here).

His 'wood yard' is full of logs! That was a good sign and they didn't look new.. Delivery is coming in a few hours and I'll post up tomorrow with what I find.

Oh, ya, we have a cordwood pricing area???

Oak can sit in round for several years and not dry. It needs to be split to dry properly. Not sure about maple.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Delivery came. Not all that impressed... Not for what I paid that is..

Okay, it's mid-season and folks can get what they get. I pointed out several punky pieces and all he said "Well, it's dry and burns". Pictures and a phone call will happen as I go through the pile. Hopefully it's only a few punky pieces.

The load was mostly oak, as I assumed it would be. Happy about that! Some of the pieces are huge, but not many, also expected some of those. I also thought for freshly processed I wouldn't see wetness on the surface. Coloration of moisture, yes, yet not wet. Now with a burn going, I see it as surface moisture (thankfully).

Since I'm within they're 'free' delivery area, I will check out their grappa load pricing. That may be the way to deal with them in the future.

I see $325 delivered all the time around the Epping area

The going rate in our area, not to far over the boarder from NH, $300 debarked oak 16” splits “seasoned”.

My buddy just ordered from a guy off of Facebook and paid $325 for 1 cord. The stack did not even measure out to 4x4x8, more like 4x4x5.5 ~3/4 of a cord.

Wow. Where I live a cord of hardwood costs around $65.00. $300.00 or more a cord is insane.
Cord of hardwood is going for around 3-500 in the Twin Cities area on Craigslist. I’m not buying it but someone must be. Some ads are for $175 per 16” face cord delivered and stacked. _g

Central NH, near lakes region, $320 “dry” delivered. It’s never dry.

$240 a cord delivered green but split and cut to length.

Central NH, near lakes region, $320 “dry” delivered. It’s never dry.

$240 a cord delivered green but split and cut to length.

Thanks for the update. I saw $280 a cord late fall (6 month cut) and thought that was high.. Learning it wasn't.. Burl is quoting $250 delivered 'green'.

Wow. Where I live a cord of hardwood costs around $65.00. $300.00 or more a cord is insane.

Don't know where you are, but those are the old-day prices I used to pay. It was split and semi-seasoned (+/- 6 months). You talking 'face-cord'? I'd be all-over that, even green in 4ft lengths!! I don't think I can even grappa-load for that dollar..

The going rate in our area, not to far over the boarder from NH, $300 debarked oak 16” splits “seasoned”.

My buddy just ordered from a guy off of Facebook and paid $325 for 1 cord. The stack did not even measure out to 4x4x8, more like 4x4x5.5 ~3/4 of a cord.

For $350 a cord, I would have been happy to see it de-barked. I'm stacking today to see how the 'cord' measures out. My racks hold half a cord each. I'll also weigh out a few select pieces to check MC.

Updates coming.

Still crying in my coffee this morning over what I paid, but on the good side, it was a one match re-start this morning. Word seems decently dry. Also not hearing the sounds of wet wood as it burns.

I'm trying to be optimistic... LOL

Still crying in my coffee this morning over what I paid, but on the good side, it was a one match re-start this morning. Word seems decently dry. Also not hearing the sounds of wet wood as it burns.

I'm trying to be optimistic... LOL

How long did you have the wood indoor before using it?

Also have you split a couple random of the larger splits?

How long did you have the wood indoor before using it?

Also have you split a couple random of the larger splits?

Carried it in and threw it in the stove.. minutes..

Will be doing that today. There are a few pieces that need to be split anyway.. Ya, I want to see the interior of a few.

Just over the border in Mass I get cut/split green oak for $200/cord.

Almost done stacking. What I'm seeing is this will fall short by 28cubic ft....

My racks hold 50cubic ft each. Single row stacked and I do not pack tight, I want air to pass. I have always thought this as fair sizing when calculating how much I burn each year. Now I have to look at it as what I bought.

Am I being fair???

I like what I have seen as I go through the pile for quality and dryness (yet to weigh out some to give you a accurate MC). Grandfather taught me the click test of wood and all so far has passed (short of the huge pieces, thankfully only a few). I have split smalls and those huge pieces now and find all most all is truly burnable (what I hear on my first load in the stove). The huge pieces went to the bottom of the pile.. they could use a bit more time..

I not trying to be a jerk about this, yet this is the most I have ever paid for cordwood. All I want is a full cord of good burnable wood. I get the fact I'm buying at the wrong time and paying for this... I probably have the shortage in loose bark.. What a mess..

Sorry for the rant.. Need a beer and get back out there to clean up my driveway. Winter weather on it's way and I hope not to snowblower this mess..

Reactions: Mrpelletburner
You should call the guy, see if you can work something out.

If his business is selling wood, last thing he wants to get out is overcharging and short changing folks.

RF,

Folks here are talking about the price of a full cord i.e. 4 x4 x 8 feet rather than a face cord of 4 x 8 x stick length which is typically 16 inches. So the cost of a full cord would be $195. That's still a good price none the less.

Hugh

Out west here in Montana a full cord usually goes for $125-$175 for lodgepole pine &/or Doug Fir... some people try to charge more, like up to $225 or so for 100% doug fir.

Personally, I choose the $5/cord Forest Service firewood cutting permit... ;)

Reactions: JimBear
wow! interesting thread. I have been recently thinking of selling some firewood and have been making some calculations. Feel free to correct me if im wrong anywhere. My location is in southern west virginia.

My wood truck is a s-10 pickup so my measurements will be for that size short bed. I'm going to sell firewood perfectly seasoned for 200 per cord. My wood hauler fits close to 1/4 a cord if its stacked level with the bedsides, and in deliverable form for the highway. thats 50 bucks a truckload. I see a lot of firewood warriors selling green fresh cut wood for 35 per 1/4 cord. My neighbor had a cord delivered for 90 bucks off an old man and it was dry and perfectly seasoned oak and beech.

price gap of 140 per cord of fresh green split, vs 90 bucks for perfect fireplace wood, vs 200 bucks for cord of good stove wood... I don't know how this market is going to end up... I know im not selling for less than 200 per cord... maybe the old guy stole it..

Seems like selling firewood is a good way to work really hard without making any money while also having the opportunity to deal with a lot of jerks who expect a lot for a little. Unless you have a firewood processor, then you get to make that payment too plus deal with breakdowns and do all the equipment maintenance and still always be behind . I think lemonade stands have better profit margins ;)