Corner Hearth Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Draughts15

Dec 23, 2020
Upper Midwest
Hi all,

I'm going to have a 54 inch corner hearth pad put in. Unfortunately i have a vent in the floor from my forced air furnace where the hearth will extend to just about half way over the vent. Any suggestions on this? I was wondering if there is some sort of plate i can block half the vent off with and maybe cut the vent. Can the pad just go right on top?

Side note, these tile hearth pads are super expensive. Think I'm paying around $800.

20210922_163955.jpg 20210922_163949.jpg SmartSelect_20210917-140940_Samsung Internet.jpg

It's preferable not to block off vents in a balanced heating system. There may be a solution. What stove is this for and what is the distance from the wall to where the vent starts?

The picture shown is not a corner pad.

There may be a solution. What stove is this for and what is the distance from the wall to where the vent starts?

The picture shown is not a corner pad.
This is for a Super 27. The pad shown is not a corner pad, but of the same style/color that i will be purchasing. I measured wrong from months ago,, now that remeasured the pad will extend over most of the vent. The vent is about two inches out from the wall and 43 inches from the adjacent wall. The pad will be pentagon shaped.

The Super 27 just needs ember protection. You could DIY for under $100. and notch it the cementboard around the vent, then tile and set the vent on the hearth edges. Or even a sheet of painted metal would work. A less expensive type 1 hearth would also work. Have you looked at the Diamond Hearth in Tartara stone? Or an American panel ember defender product?

Northline's corner pads should work. It would need to be notched for the vent.

These are nice, thanks. Do I need a 54 inch hearth pad? Can I get by with the
I might have to do some searching, not sure I'm following with the ember protection. Looking at the manual, I was under the impression I need my pad to be atleast 51-1/8" with a double wall.

SmartSelect_20210922-192450_Drive.jpg

Seems like that might be a little oversized, but maybe correct. The stove can be 4" from the corner wall with double-wall pipe. Our larger Alderlea T6 is on a 54" pad and clearances are exceeded. Where is that chart from? I don't see it in the manual I have.
I'm getting this from the PE Site. Below is the link. 54 inches is quite large. Wish it wasn't so.

Ah, it's in their sales brochure. There is some flexibility in this. Standard hearth pads vary. The Northline hearth pad diagram has 48" sides and a narrower front, but greater overall depth than the one PE shows. As long as there is at least 16" of hearth protection in front of the stove (measured from the door, not the ashlip), then it's good. That said, the difference from 51" (for double-wall stovepipe) on a side to 48" is not that great.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 6.25.49 PM.png

I'm working on a corner install with a 20" elevated hearth at the moment, and I'm about ready to draw and quarter the twit that originally built the house, the stove manufacturer, and my installer. It's a nightmare. Good luck.

Even though I far exceed the front hearth clearance requirement, my corner pad is 51"x50.5", and that's apparently a major issue even though all clearances to combustibles are exceeded.

Last edited:
I bought a used Ember King steel hearth pad. It has some peeling and chipped paint along the edges. There is some minor rust along with some scuff marks. Any ideas on fixing this up? Id like to paint it a different color. Whats a safe paint I can use on this? This will sit on a 4" high base made of plywood and 2×4s.

20211009_140924.jpg 20211009_140751.jpg 20211009_140748.jpg

I'm sure you have good reasons for a corner hearth, but if you have other options, you may want to reconsider. My house came with a corner hearth. I think it limits future stove choices and it has discouraged me from getting a stove fan as it's next to impossible to get behind the stove. Though I will admit, when the flame is going it does look nice in the corner.

I'm sure you have good reasons for a corner hearth, but if you have other options, you may want to reconsider. My house came with a corner hearth. I think it limits future stove choices and it has discouraged me from getting a stove fan as it's next to impossible to get behind the stove. Though I will admit, when the flame is going it does look nice in the corner.
I would like an answer to this as well even though the original poster has probably finished his by now.

We've had a corner hearth for years. It works well for our living room layout and frees up space for other furniture. A corner hearth should not limit one's options if it is made large enough to start with. I changed the stove out from an F400 to a much larger T6. It worked out well because the T6 had closer clearance requirements. I did have to put an offset into the stovepipe, but that hasn't been a problem.

T6_web.jpg

I would like an answer to this as well even though the original poster has probably finished his by now.
The question was about what paint to use.
I don't see a mention of paint in the posting that was quoted.

I don't see a mention of paint in the posting that was quoted.

“I bought a used Ember King steel hearth pad. It has some peeling and chipped paint along the edges. There is some minor rust along with some scuff marks. Any ideas on fixing this up? Id like to paint it a different color. Whats a safe paint I can use on this? This will sit on a 4" high base made of plywood and 2×4s.” It’s the original post.

It's important to use paint that won't react with the original paint. Contact the mfg. to see what paint they used. If that is not possible, try a test patch in a discrete area like the backside with a lacquer-based paint like Krylon high-temp. If no issues then it should work well.

It's important to use paint that won't react with the original paint. Contact the mfg. to see what paint they used. If that is not possible, try a test patch in a discrete area like the backside with a lacquer-based paint like Krylon high-temp. If no issues then it should work well.
Ok, I missed the steel part… sorry! So, my question is what to use to paint a concrete hearth pad or if anyone has used a liquid coloring?

Typically the colorant is added to the concrete as it is being mixed, but there are cool concrete staining techniques also. Neither are painting if that is what is desired.

Typically the colorant is added to the concrete as it is being mixed, but there are cool concrete staining techniques also. Neither are painting if that is what is desired.
I would like to know if anyone has painted or colored their concrete hearth.

That is probably best asked in a new thread. I think it has been discussed before a while back, but it wouldn't hurt to ask again. Is this an existing hearth?