Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With such a wide range of opinions on the subject as usual the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Even with all the critcism they got for the initial travel ban i didnt think it went far enough. Still dont think it goes far enough . Classic no win situation.
I 100% agree with you man, Confirmed case of unknown origin in california as of yesterday so now i feel like its a question of how long does the virus survive without a host, as somehow above has previously mentioned...

Reactions: JimBear
I 100% agree with you man, Confirmed case of unknown origin in california as of yesterday so now i feel like its a question of how long does the virus survive without a host, as somehow above has previously mentioned...
Or the person came in contact with a traveler as also mention in the story. Most likely scenario. Possibly the traveler dont even know they have it. Another reason why the current international travel restrictions dont go far enough.

Like the other Jersey guy said, we don't worry here. We're so polluted the virus doesn't stand a chance here. Seriously most of you are still suffering from TDS. He gave an exceptional speech(not Screech like Palosi) last nite. Calm, facts, wtf do you want.

Reactions: unimog1300
Your bias is showing. Doing exactly what your blaming others for. If you want the full story , watch some news outlets that give the full story. Must be frustrating to get only one bias side 24/7.
This one appears to be self-fulfilling. It is the tweets and the conspiracy theory nuts that keep tying it to the election cycle and are blaming the opposite party. This gets us nowhere fast.

Like the other Jersey guy said, we don't worry here. We're so polluted the virus doesn't stand a chance here. Seriously most of you are still suffering from TDS. He gave an exceptional speech(not Screech like Palosi) last nite. Calm, facts, wtf do you want.
I watched the Senate hearings and was not at all reassured. Some of the acting heads were clueless, seriously. None had read the govt published guidelines for dealing with a pandemic. Others kept referring to another agency for responsibility, with no one in charge. This was not confidence inspiring.

Let this play out and hope that with warmer weather the infection rate slows. Right now the chain of command for pandemic response and all those people whose job it was to do this have been let go. Most of the cabinet heads are unvetted, acting heads. Rebuilding this simply doesn't happen overnight. Congress is at least 2 weeks away from approving funds. Even if a vaccine is developed, it would not be available in large quantities for 12 to 18 months. And the responses already are getting politicized, from the top on down.

Your bias is showing. Doing exactly what your blaming others for. If you want the full story , watch some news outlets that give the full story. Must be frustrating to get only one bias side 24/7.
I absolutely agree that the truth is generally in the middle. But the facts here are that the chain of command for cases like this was dismantled and not adequately replaced. That has been absolutely clear by the response.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I think the media is more scared than anything yank yank. I know my numbers aren't correct probably because I'm not keeping up with it....but how many confirmed cases in the u.s. is it.....15. If it has to get political I would say so far let's not point fingers yet because in a country of 331 mill that don't seem too bad yet. I do know for a fact that a factory sub contracted by the government here quit producing army tents and similar products of normal production and started making quarantine tents over a week and a half ago. This political banter is exactly why our country has been in auto pilot for around 20 years.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
I absolutely agree that the truth is generally in the middle. But the facts here are that the chain of command for cases like this was dismantled and not adequately replaced. That has been absolutely clear by the response.
Problem is everyone has a different set of "facts" they refer to depending on their politics. Im sure the pandemic task force can be ramped back up quickly. Being that we borrow 20c of every dollar we spend in govt these days im not surprised some agencies get mothballed. EIther way those at the top wil get blamed for every death no matter what the response. Whats surprising to me isnt that 30000 to 60000 people die every yr of the regular flu ,its that so many dont get the flu shot. id like to see the number of deaths subcategoried this way. From last year "Last year, 80 percent of pediatric deaths occurred in children who were unvaccinated", according to the CDC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Problem is everyone has a different set of "facts" they refer to depending on their politics. Im sure the pandemic task force can be ramped back up quickly. Being that we borrow 20c of every dollar we spend in govt these days im not surprised some agencies get mothballed. EIther way those at the top wil get blamed for every death no matter what the response. Whats surprising to me isnt that 30000 to 60000 people die every yr of the regular flu ,its that so many dont get the flu shot. id like to see the number of deaths subcategoried this way. From last year "Last year, 80 percent of pediatric deaths occurred in children who were unvaccinated", according to the CDC.
I agree it can be ramped up quickly if there is the right framework and people there to do it. The problem is it hasn't been and it doesn't seem like the people are there to deal with it. I mean we don't even have adequate testing in place yet

Been hearing some bad reports on the CDC. Wasting money ,bad management. Starting to sound like its run like the UN.

Current flu shots only 45% effective.

Current flu shots only 45% effective.
CDC reports 61% last yr. Also reports any protection is better than nothing. Has worked great for me so far . Havnt had flu for 2 decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: maple1
I was just asked at work to come up with a plan to have IT infrastructure to support hundreds of administrative employees working from home...

I'm not concerned much. I limit my exposure to other people, have had my penumonia vacinnations so I'm immune to that. The big thing is avoiding crowds of ill mannered people who sneeze and cough without covering their noses and mouths. Nothing better for you than to walk through a cloud of atomized body fluids to catch something you don't want.

People are their own worst enemies.

Been hearing some bad reports on the CDC. Wasting money ,bad management.
Source? The CDC has been under the gun for the past few years. It used to be the most widely respected authority on disease control around the globe.
I was just asked at work to come up with a plan to have IT infrastructure to support hundreds of administrative employees working from home...
If this doesn't abate I think we will be seeing a lot more of this. Conferencing software is selling like hotcakes.

CORONA.jpeg

I'm not concerned at all. One, I live in a very remote area with very little population, Two, I've had my penumonia vaccinations, Three, I avoid crowds and Four, I don't watch the news on TV. In fact, I don't watch TV at all and I don't drink Corona beer. I don't consume alcohol at all.

You all want to get sick, don't come visit my place, you an't welcome here. ==c

Know what's really gonna be funny--I heard last nite that Israel is possibly weeks away from a vaccine, been working on vaccines for quite awhile. Will the BDS supporters continue to boycott?

Politics and public health are unfortunate bedfellows.

Reactions: JimBear
Coming up in March I have to fly to Detroit, Atlanta, and New Orleans. I am a professional I go about my business. I do not let the media hysteria stop me or worry me.

Reactions: Alpine1
Coming up in March I have to fly to Detroit, Atlanta, and New Orleans. I am a professional I go about my business. I do not let the media hysteria stop me or worry me.

I'm professionally retired myself.... Think I'll start making tinfoil hats on the side. Might be a good business to get into. I'll offer plain and quilted.

Reactions: Alpine1
Working in a hospital may get a lot harder ,having to spend 8 hours or more in a double plastic suit. I once talked my wife out of a nursing career back when the biggest worry was a needle stick.

My opinion is simply, the media (typical) is blowing this way out of proportion. The Wuhan Flu is nothing more than the Asian Flu that goes around every year. All one has to do is use common sense and avoid crowds and practice normal hyigene.

People in this country are gullible and take as gospel everything the media says when in fact the media spews fake news. Like I said, I need to go into business making tinfiol hats. I could sell a boatload to gullible sheeple.

My opinion is simply, the media (typical) is blowing this way out of proportion. The Wuhan Flu is nothing more than the Asian Flu that goes around every year.
If the regular yearly flu kills .05% of the people who get it and the Corona flu kills 3% wouldnt that make corona 60 times more deadly? That seems to be what the panic is about. That would mean roughly 7 million dead assuming 70% of the US has to deal with it at some point as they now predict.

Last edited:
Maybe but maybe not. Death estimates are based on China and we all know those stats are probably wacko anyway. According to the WHO daily stats concerning this country and other countries impacted, the death rate is extremely low. More people get killed in automobile accidents than any virus kills.

Status
Not open for further replies.