Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The LDS church definitely is adherent to one year of supplies on hand in the household. I have known a few families over the years and that is their goal. The church also has large warehouses of inventory in Utah to service the greater community. if a family loses their house, the church supposedly will lend them products out of the warehouse to cover the family until it gets back on their feet. They also have a very large investment fund that until recently was quite secret as it its holdings in case cash is needed. Tithing is mandatory in the LDS church so there is pretty good cash flow into the church. For folks like myself who backpack, much of the bulk dehydrated food comes out of Utah along with some of the MRE type products. My guess is the production facilities were built to service church needs but fill in with orders to anyone who is willing to buy the product and remote members. Its far less expensive to buy in bulk cans. In addition to the staples many outfit sell bulk premade meals. They are usually scoop and dump into pot of boiling water, high salt and simple carbs. I break down the cans with a vacuum sealer and oxygen absorbers. If kept dry the vacuum sealed stuff keeps for a long time. Note not all dehydrated products are great substitutes, dehydrated eggs being one of them. Nido which is full cream milk powder is pretty good for cooking but definitely not easy to confuse with fresh milk.

I understand keeping supplies around for a "shelter in place" situation in general is a good thing to do but not sure of the linkage of bottled water to the virus. I as a rule have the 14 day supplies in the house and have for years. I keep an inventory of bulk dehydrated foods from the years I was making frequent backpacks of the Appalachian Trail, that was over 10 years ago but I continue to do so. Buying fresh veggies for much of the year for one person is wasteful as most fresh products have limited shelf life. There is minimal loss of nutrition with properly dehydrated foods compared to fresh so I rotate the stock by using them to cook routinely. Note that I tend not to buy dried (versus dehydrated) veggies or beans as I have found that they take a lot time and fuel to cook with. Generally dehydrated veggies are precooked prior to dehydrating. Not much of an issue cooking over a woodstove but a big one when backpacking.

Reactions: semipro
Death toll jumps to 6 already from just one a few days ago. Not a good sign. Likely hundreds if not thousands infected here already. So much for the benefits of daily international travel.

Death toll jumps to 6 already from just one a few days ago. Not a good sign. Likely hundreds if not thousands infected here already. So much for the benefits of daily international travel.

Ugh, all in the two counties north of mine.

I don't worry too much, but I get your concerns I think. A friend was at Trader Joes today and found certain shelves bare. Looks like beans and rice are disappearing quickly.
Last trip i got extra pasta and jarred and canned sauce. Things that keep indefinitely without refrigeration. Probably good for a month or 2 on most things with 3 refrigerators and 2 deep freezers . Several months worth of beer. Panic buying can hit quickly. Once the death toll ticks up you will see more of it.

Last edited:
Panic buying can hit quickly. Once the death toll ticks up you will see, more of it.
We went on our normal weekend shopping trip on Saturday and saw many empty shelves. We needed bleach for our normal laundry use and had a hard time finding any.

Ugh, all in the two counties north of mine.
Cant help but think some of these may have been very close to expiring regardless of the virus when your talking nursing home patients. Same with the seasonal flu. That would skew the numbers a bit.

Last edited:
Ministry of Health has some good advice.
virus advice.jpg

.....I’m just glad we are close to the end of cold and flu season, as some statements have been made which tie the spread of this disease to the cold and flu season. Hopefully we will reach warm weather before this thing gets too far, and some quick and effective work can be done on a vaccines and other preventative measures, before next October.

I've always wondered what practical effects cause the FLU to disappear in the Spring and Summer. Is it that a virus really does not like the warmer air (like I heard on TV)?
That doesn't seem right. Since it likes the warm moist insides of our lungs and bodies. The Spring/Summer air is much warmer and moister than in Winter, where we're constantly fighting to keep up humidity levels.
Is it just the "fresh air" of opening our windows and diluting the exposure to other peoples exhalations? That may be because lots of people complain of post air-flight flu when returning from trips. But I also attend lots of summer parties which invariably head indoors at dusk, and besides the hangovers, few complain about catching flu from those confined events.
I don't think people practice better hygiene during the spring/summer period?
I'm really stumped. Anyone got any reputable source to point to ?

I've always wondered what practical effects cause the FLU to disappear in the Spring and Summer. Is it that a virus really does not like the warmer air (like I heard on TV)?
That doesn't seem right. Since it likes the warm moist insides of our lungs and bodies. The Spring/Summer air is much warmer and moister than in Winter, where we're constantly fighting to keep up humidity levels.
Is it just the "fresh air" of opening our windows and diluting the exposure to other peoples exhalations? That may be because lots of people complain of post air-flight flu when returning from trips. But I also attend lots of summer parties which invariably head indoors at dusk, and besides the hangovers, few complain about catching flu from those confined events.
I don't think people practice better hygiene during the spring/summer period?
I'm really stumped. Anyone got any reputable source to point to ?
I'll admit I don't know squat about this, but my wife spends more time reading about both traditional and alternative medicine than I do reading this forum about wood burning and stoves. Her summary statements are:

1. Vitamin D. There is a proven link between vitamin D levels and immunity to the common cold and flu. You get a heck of a lot more vitamin D from sun exposure while mowing the lawn and sitting by the pool in summer, than driving to and from work in the dark in the winter.
2. Humidity, as you noted. The dry (we run in the teens %) relative humidity in your home causes a huge increase in susceptibility to cold and flu, thru inflamed nasal and other respiratory passages.
3. Cold weather. Your ga'ma was right, exposure to cold weather does knock the immunity down, as you stand out in the cold pumping gas into your car or running to and from the store without bundling up.

I do have to admit that she is always the last one in the house to get a cold or the flu, usually caring for the rest of us. I'm just a third kid in the house, in that regard.

I explained tonight that a large portion of my emergency food supply was still walking around. The response was a startled look. My thought though is that by the time I am eating the local fauna, the city slickers will be eating long pig. I could probably eat a turkey a day for weeks and never make a dent in the population.
I will most likely pick a few of the more tasty fruit trees in the old orchards and net them this weekend. Its funny that one tree will have delicious apples, and the next one over will have apples that are bitter.
And water squirts out of the ground at about 1300 gallons per day.

Reactions: woodnomore
I'm glad you did not say you were already eating long pig. Venison good, long pig not so much.

It is pretty amazing that writer Dean Koontz wrote a book in 1981 titled They Eyes of Darkness in which he wrote that in the city of Wuhan, China a virus would escape from a lab in 2020 and start a pandemic. Was he a visionary or was there a lunatic who read his book and did what was written?

For those thinking you're going to live off the land, you may want to reconsider.
Many in my area that don't have their own land have told me they're headed for the woods with rifles in hand if conventional supply chains collapse.
I figure whatever we have growing on our land and in the nearby national forests will quickly be taken by those "prepared" to take what they want.
You think it's hard to keep deer out of gardens, try keeping armed and starving humans out.

More on topic: then you have jackwagons like this guy who traveled and socialized despite his known exposure to Covid-19.

Reactions: moresnow and Ashful
Let the hoarding begin:

Not sure why this is going on in New York . NY not greatly affected by the virus yet but i guess many see NY as a place where no one will get screened on the way in.

The numbers may be skewd but as reported the death toll in South Korea is only .5% , but in Iran its 10 times that at 5%

For those thinking you're going to live off the land, you may want to reconsider.
Many in my area that don't have their own land have told me they're headed for the woods with rifles in hand if conventional supply chains collapse.
I figure whatever we have growing on our land and in the nearby national forests will quickly be taken by those "prepared" to take what they want.
You think it's hard to keep deer out of gardens, try keeping armed and starving humans out.

More on topic: then you have jackwagons like this guy who traveled and socialized despite his known exposure to Covid-19.

Those are real life zombies. Desperate and fighting for their lives. Some are smart enough to wait for you to go to sleep.

Reactions: semipro
The numbers may be skewd but as reported the death toll in South Korea is only .5% , but in Iran its 10 times that at 5%
Think about the differences in the health care systems between the nations. China is another good example of this.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Status
Not open for further replies.