Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watching the local morning news on TV, they just did a story on how to properly wash your hands. Does the media believe that we are dependent on them to learn how to live life?

Just watching the local morning news on TV, they just did a story on how to properly wash your hands. Does the media believe that we are dependent on them to learn how to live life?
Yes, having spent several years frequnet flying through airports and using the rest rooms, yes I do believe the media has to remind folks how to wash their hands properly.

If you need to have the media tell you how to wash your hands you were not raised right, unfortunately that is a problem in society now.
There has been a problem for a long time,a good % of those using public rest rooms, leave without ever touching the sink,water or soap. Woman tell me they see the same thing in womens rest rooms. Shudder to think some of these people work in food prep.

Reactions: SpaceBus and tadmaz
yes I do believe the media has to remind folks how to wash their hands properly.
- and that they need to wash them at all. Far too many times I've seen people leave a stall or urinal and walk directly out the door.

- and that they need to wash them at all. Far too many times I've seen people leave a stall or urinal and walk directly out the door.
Exactly, All the time. The local Burger King has a sign in their restroom reminding EMPLOYEES to wash up.

There has been a problem for a long time,a good % of those using public rest rooms, leave without ever touching the sink,water or soap. Woman tell me they see the same thing in womens rest rooms. Shudder to think some of these people work in food prep.

Tell you what if I go to the restroom in an airport bathroom, if I do not urinate on my hands (mastered urinating at a young age) I know for a fact my willie is cleaner than any surface in that restroom. I do wash my hands though, but just saying.

If you don't wipe the cart handle at a minimum you are asking for it, been wiping cart handles long before this panic.
But not the door handles on the way in or out of the store. And in and out of rest rooms if there a door with a handle. I prefer the rest room with NO door. In winter i wear gloves, if that helps at all not sure. ALways use a CC as well ,you dont know where those dollars have been.

But not the door handles on the way in or out of the store. And in and out of rest rooms if there a door with a handle. I prefer the rest room with NO door. In winter i wear gloves, if that helps at all not sure. ALways use a CC as well ,you dont know where those dollars have been.
...door handles, gas pump button pads and nozzles, credit cards and card reader pads pens and buttons, steering wheels, etc.
And then most of us touch our face about 15 times per hour. Preventing cross-contamination is pretty hopeless.

Edit: Frank Herbert of Dune fame also wrote "The White Plague" where U.S. dollar bills were used as a way to spread a contagion.

Years ago, I took my daughter and her friends to a McD's. It was the first one in town, and the girls were excited to go. I watched an employee wipe the urinal and counter in the men's room, walk out into the restaurant and begin wiping tables with the same cloth.
If you nose works, you should be aware that a good number of people do not have a clue about washing.

...door handles, gas pump button pads and nozzles, credit cards and card reader pads pens and buttons, steering wheels, etc.
And then most of us touch our face about 15 times per hour. Preventing cross-contamination is pretty hopeless.

Edit: Frank Herbert of Dune fame also wrote "The White Plague" where U.S. dollar bills were used as a way to spread a contagion.
A recent testing of several McDonalds touchpads found fecal bacteria on every one of them. Even if one wears gloves, you end up touching them when taking them off. That's why you should wash your hands as soon as you enter the house.

Money is a common vector for spreading disease. To protect its employees, the Louvre just stopped taking cash for admittance.

One big issue we are seeing here in our area is the hoarding of supplies. It's pretty crazy and stressing out stores, pharmacies, etc.. People are buying toilet paper and bottled water like it's armageddon. Masks and Purell disappear off the shelves within an hour. This thoughtless, ignorance makes is much harder for others.
Corona Virus
A second big issue is the govt. recommendation to not assemble in large groups over 10 people. This is affecting businesses, sports, movies, all sorts of meetings. Many businesses are trying telecommuting for the first time. It will be interesting to see if after this is over, whether this practice hangs around. I telecommuted 3 days a week before retiring. It was a godsend to not have to spend 3hrs a day commuting.

Last edited:
I started at my current employer over 12 years ago. Been working from home since day 1. Many of us do.
I thought you worked out of a plane? ;) It seems like it some times.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I use a lot of cash, and have a compromised respiratory system.
<>
It’s been nice knowing you guys.
I frequently touch my face and have a compromised immune system...

Reactions: Ashful
The schools and healthcare use a UV powder that only shows up under blacklight. Its very fine and sticks to a lot of surfaces. They use it to illustrate how easy it is to cross contaminate surfaces. I had to "learn" how to put on rubber exam gloves for some training once and it took most of us three or four tries to putting them on an off without contaminating myself.

Contamination protection only works if everyone is doing it. Look at all the hepatitis scares tied to food service workers. I may never see them but they may have contact with the food I am buying.

I use a lot of cash, and have a compromised respiratory system.
<>
It’s been nice knowing you guys.
Yes, but do you touch yourself? ;)

Sorry, couldn't help it. Don't really want to know.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Status
Not open for further replies.