Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is good to own an excavator. It is not a matter of living off the land. It is a matter of living in my own house and yard.

I think its basic math. % fatality rate = Number of people carrying the virus/ number of deaths due to virus. Now factor in that the test is not instant and in the US is in limited circulation (my local news reported that the state of NH had 100 testing kits as of this morning). So how does one calculate the percentage if there is not accurate testing being carried out for the specific virus? The Seattle case appears to show that the virus was circulating for days in the regional population therefore there is a lot of people carrying it with no symptoms, thus the numerator (the number on top of the dividing line) is probably understated making the result higher. Deaths on the other hand are somewhat easier to count. China initially wanted to understate the impact of the virus so the numerator was stated lower than it appears to actually be.

It is good to own an excavator. It is not a matter of living off the land. It is a matter of living in my own house and yard.
Until we run out of diesel. I feel the same way about my tractor, so hopefully I can synthesize diesel from something if the supply chain fails.

Deaths on the other hand are somewhat easier to count.

But they aren't testing deaths to see if those are caused by the virus either. One of the most recent deaths was actually an old body that someone thought to test for corona. You're seeing lack of info on both sides of the mortality equation.

Reactions: begreen and Ashful
Think about the differences in the health care systems between the nations. China is another good example of this.
Thats what if figured if the stats are correct. But could be a lot of underreporting of active cases.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Thats what if figured if the stats are correct. But could be a lot of underreporting of active cases.
This may be the case in India, which could be a very large incubator. Hopefully their warm climate will help keep the numbers down, but the poverty and close quarters in urban areas could cause quite a spike.

This may be the case in India, which could be a very large incubator. Hopefully their warm climate will help keep the numbers down, but the poverty and close quarters in urban areas could cause quite a spike.
Indian air quality is not far behind China either. From my observations of this catastrophe air quality is a huge factor.

The lady and I just finished prepping our 950 square foot underground nuclear bunker in our back yard. Heat is running, water supply set up. We have for 6 years supplies to survive. Also 12 cases of various ammo in case the zombies enter the village. We plan to move in on Saturday.

The lady and I just finished prepping our 950 square foot underground nuclear bunker in our back yard. Heat is running, water supply set up. We have for 6 years supplies to survive. Also 12 cases of various ammo in case the zombies enter the village. We plan to move in on Saturday.
You will have to come out for your corona shot in a few months unless your doctor makes "Bunker calls".

I think that for the greater part of us, the food supply is not to survive the end of times, but rather to be able to do the decent thing which is stay home if we get sick rather that wandering about giving the bug to another couple of dozen people.

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
I think that for the greater part of us, the food supply is not to survive the end of times, but rather to be able to do the decent thing which is stay home if we get sick rather that wandering about giving the bug to another couple of dozen people.
Food heck. You should have seen the carts filled with water and toilet paper at Costco. All canned tomatoes and beans are gone. You would think this is a major snowstorm and everyone is out to make sauce. Crazy.

cdc joke.jpg

Food heck. You should have seen the carts filled with water and toilet paper at Costco.
I've been wondering about this. Why would you need water? Is there some assumption your well or your tap water will suddenly become unusable, if you or someone else in your town has corona virus?

... and Amazon.com can deliver all the TP I'll ever need, right to my doorstep, apocalypse or not!

I've been wondering about this. Why would you need water? Is there some assumption your well or your tap water will suddenly become unusable, if you or someone else in your town has corona virus?

... and Amazon.com can deliver all the TP I'll ever need, right to my doorstep, apocalypse or not!
I can tell you from speaking to the Costco workers and our local grocery store, they are really stressed out, working long hours against what seems to be an insatiable demand right now. People hoarding is not helping anything. If Amazon workers in our area get sick or quarantined, things may slow down.

Dont count on the general public to be rational about all this. I thought Asians mistaken for Chinese nationals getting beat up in Italys supermarkets was pretty far out there, but im afraid this kind of thing brings out the worst in people. No milk at the local grocery store tonight ,just how long can you store milk?

Reactions: Ashful
Seems like the best way to shop going forward, no human to human contact. Break the transmission chain.

I chased the wild turkeys off three time this morning, went to Costco, and ran the turkeys off 4 more time before dark. I bought saltine crackers, chicken noodle soup and some dried berries for my morning oatmeal. They were out of canned veggies, tp, and bleach. They had more tomato products than I thought possible. All the places that should have had the sold out products were filled with tomato stuff.
I'm thinking I should have passed on the chicken noodle soup and made turkey soup.
As I was wandering about, I could hear people complaining about the lack of certain items. One guy with a large package of paper towels announced to all present he was going to have to wipe his butt with paper towels.

• Haha
Reactions: Ashful and begreen
So what happens if you get both the seasonal flu and the corona virus at the same time , guess i dont want to find out?

So what happens if you get both the seasonal flu and the corona virus at the same time , guess i dont want to find out?

You get a free Vermont Castings wood stove !! ==c Then you'll wish you did spontaneously combust!

Reactions: bholler and Alpine1
My grandfather was an orphan. Both parents within months, influenza, one in October, other in April, 1912, Norway. Great grandmother was an orphan, similar circumstances, 1890s, Austria. Thinking we're a little better off now than then - that wasn't that long ago. Will visit aunt in a few months - she has stories to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.