Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stay home for two weeks and drink whiskey, it’s like hand sanitizer for your insides.
A friend has a craft beer joint ,im trying to drink up the stock so it dont go to waste while everything is shut down.

Reactions: Medic21
Really? Who woulda thought that. Surely not a Paramedic or RN?

maybe all us emergency responders and healthcare workers should stay home and quarantine. You know, 2 weeks with no 911 or hospitals. That would sort out the problems real quick. Survival of the fittest.

You may want to reconsider using your experience and authority as a medic to advocate continuing to go to the gym despite the governor's shelter-in-place order. I understand that you think you will most likely get exposed to the coronavirus at work, but consider whether you want to continue to advocate on a public forum for unnecessarily exposing the rest of the population to a possible presymptomatic infection. I have to continue going to work as well, but I'm careful both at work and outside of work not to expose my high-risk self to anyone unnecessarily.

Not sure who else is watching the White House press conference right now, but I just caught the somewhat alarming remark that folks are fleeing NY to get away from the virus, but an estimated 0.1% of those people are unknowingly carrying the virus with them to new areas. Yikes.
Yea I saw that too. The fact they likely unknowingly have the virus and are transporting it to another population was eye opening to say the least.

You may want to reconsider using your experience and authority as a medic to advocate continuing to go to the gym despite the governor's shelter-in-place order. I understand that you think you will most likely get exposed to the coronavirus at work, but consider whether you want to continue to advocate on a public forum for unnecessarily exposing the rest of the population to a possible presymptomatic infection. I have to continue going to work as well, but I'm careful both at work and outside of work not to expose my high-risk self to anyone unnecessarily.
Seeing how it closed at 4pm today under the first order we have had it doesn’t matter

There is a nice residential house in my neighborhood owned by a lady from NYC, she bought it after 9/11. She visits at most twice a year.Its her spare house in case things get weird in NYC. She appeared about a week and a half ago. Even during normal visits she rarely if ever is outside.

Not sure who else is watching the White House press conference right now, but I just caught the somewhat alarming remark that folks are fleeing NY to get away from the virus, but an estimated 0.1% of those people are unknowingly carrying the virus with them to new areas. Yikes.
Got to get us one of those billboards on the PA border that says "turn yur sick ass around":p

Forum rules are at the top of this forum (not thread)
Hearth.com house rules
How is your son's girlfriend doing, you haven't said lately? Ha she recovered and left the hospital?

Seems the not in my backyard is voiced in a whole lot of places. Just listened to pleas from northwoods WI for people laid off to stay away from their lake homes, no room at the inn (rural hospitals, would be overwhelmed).

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Got to get us one of those billboards on the PA border that says "turn yur sick ass around":p
Wasn't that a fictional movie years ago 'Escape from New York'??? Guess it's not fiction now. I heard (did not read) that north Jersey is in a tear as well. Anywhere you have a great concentration of humanity in a confined space, things get out of hand quickly, especially during something like this event. I'm kind of surprised the residents of NYC aren't going crazy. Years ago I used to go there, I hauled huge forklifts for exposition riggers. I still remember driving down Broadway through Times Square on the way to Javitz with a big forklift on a 50 ton Talbert detachable with the outriggers extended and playing dodgem with the cars at 3AM in the morning. People there are crazy and terrible drivers too.

Nice thing about Javitz was we stayed all week in the complex. You actually drive in and go underground with a tractor trailer and everything is there. We ate there, slept there and never really went anywhere for the entire week. Just getting in and out was a nightmare.

Seems the not in my backyard is voiced in a whole lot of places. Just listened to pleas from northwoods WI for people laid off to stay away from their lake homes, no room at the inn (rural hospitals, would be overwhelmed).
We have no cases here in this county yet. Pretty sure that will change because people don't use their heads except to space their ears apart today.

It's the flu for sure, but it's not like any flu anyone has ever had before and of they get it (and survive) I bet they don't want a repeat performance.

My wife and I are being hermits. Just because it isn't here yet don't mean it's not around.

Lots of confirmed cases north of us in Wayne, Macomb and Oakland counties but that area is like a small scale New York City, concentration of population. Out here it's extremely rural and remote. Just how I like it.

Reactions: johneh
There is a nice residential house in my neighborhood owned by a lady from NYC, she bought it after 9/11. She visits at most twice a year.Its her spare house in case things get weird in NYC. She appeared about a week and a half ago. Even during normal visits she rarely if ever is outside.
Just saw the first migrating buzzard here flying overhead last week. Kind of a coincidence. At least it wasn't circling. Yet.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Ashful
Yeeah, good luck with that.

Lots of confirmed cases north of us in Wayne, Macomb and Oakland counties but that area is like a small scale New York City, concentration of population. Out here it's extremely rural and remote. Just how I like it.
Sounds like Springfield, Ozark and Branson down here. Lots of cases their as well with 3 deaths in Springfield. I ive in the county north of Springfield with no confirmed cases yet and it's pretty remote where I'm at but I'm sure we will see it here soon. Springfield just put out a stay at home order so hopefully that will help.

Upon occasion I have to shop. I notice a good portion of the sales people are not young and do not appear to be overly healthy. Are they risking becoming ill due to a sense of service, or are they seriously dependent on the income from a low paying job? Perhaps they feel impervious to what life may throw at them. No matter their reasons, we would be in a world of hurt without them.

Illinois sent out a call for help, asking for retired nurses and doctors to rejoin the workforce to help combat COVID-19. 180 of them responded and will be fast tracked to get them back into service. A lot of nurses and doctors work longer than they need to out of a strong desire to serve people. They are the most susceptible group, you really have to admire them for doing this.

How is your son's girlfriend doing, you haven't said lately? Ha she recovered and left the hospital?
She is at home on oxygen as of late Sat. night. They are trying to lower the percentage needed slowly.

This trial for chloroquine didn't show great results.
Thats disappointing. They did say there are 60 plus drugs being studied right now , Hopefully something will work.

Sounds like Springfield, Ozark and Branson down here. Lots of cases their as well with 3 deaths in Springfield. I ive in the county north of Springfield with no confirmed cases yet and it's pretty remote where I'm at but I'm sure we will see it here soon. Springfield just put out a stay at home order so hopefully that will help.

Only if people comply. Highly doubtful. People in general have the 'it's not me' attitude. Some on here as well. That attitude is what spreads the virus and impacts otherwise innocent people. My philosophy is, the more remote you live (ie: rural America) the better chance you have of surviving it. That and acting responsibly. None here either but then I live in a very rural area on a farm so no one around and we like it that way. I can surround myself with nothing. All good with me. Don't you observe that where population is concentrated, the 'cases' increase? Easy to ascertain why as well.

For those that are data-driven, this is sobering math.
It’s very sobering but, it’s just a guess. While some of what he saying does make sense. He’s an economist not a healthcare professional.

Are state healthcare officials are warning us that our influx is going to be starting Friday and Saturday and will probably peek a week from today. That’s going to give us a 2 to 3 week grind before we get any relief.

we are also told the majority of this will be in urban areas. And those of us in the outlying counties in rural areas probably will not see a huge increase. Unfortunately having a huge jump in numbers of cases is what it’s gonna take for people to sit back and take it seriously.

For those that are data-driven, this is sobering math.
I'm data driven but I'm also a survivalist. I disagree with Trump loosing the election because his opponent is senile and a blundering idiot (enough on politics) from me. Lots of citizens will die from this and the best defense is again a good offense. Hell is coming to those areas with concentrated population, in the cards and always has been, virus or no virus. All it takes is some event of the magnitude of this one and population centers death rates spike up. Not to be a smart azz but again, I'm very glad reside where I do. being in a 'fly over' area has disadvantages but in this case, the advantages far outweigh the alternative.

I'm on an RV forum (we own an RV and have for years) and reading along on that forum (and not commenting because I'm aghast at the comments) about how those people are going RV'ing and planning cross country trips and I keep thinking to myself, you are really stupid folks, I mean really stupid. Typical attitude though and that attitude can and will kill you presently. My wife and I will use our RV, we will 'backyard camp. this year. My backyard is about 43 acres of woods. Works for me just fine.

Until the general populace wraps their minds around the gravity of the situation, many innocent and otherwise unimpacted by the virus people will die.

You cannot put it any other way. There is no 'sugar coating' with this and no matter how much postulation there is, the death toll and the infection rate will increase so long as people exhibit that cavalier attitude of 'it's not me so hell with the Covid flu, I won't get it'. Wrong, totally wrong. helluva way to die too as you drown in your own bodily fluids and there is no cure, no immunization, no nothing but death. I'll pass or at least I'll do what I need to do to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.