Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Life for me goes on like nothing is happening. I will farm this year just like every other year. Nothing changes on that score. Pretty boring for some people, going to bed at 9pm every night and getting up an 5am and getting the cattle fed and and getting equipment fired up to go plant or cultivate or whatever, day in and day out. Nice boring regimen.

Best part about farming is, I have little to no contact with other humans, sure, I have to deal with the co-op and buy supplies and fuel but no close up contact or personal interaction, I'm basically alone, except for my wife, 95% of the time and being a loner, it's all good with me.

Life is good for us. I want it to stay that way.

Reactions: johneh
She is at home on oxygen as of late Sat. night. They are trying to lower the percentage needed slowly.
Hopefully, she recovers. I don't want to see her being in the hospital with all the infected Covid flu people around. Best place to be right now if you aren't is AWAY from any hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm data driven but I'm also a survivalist. I disagree with Trump loosing the election because his opponent is senile and a blundering idiot (enough on politics) from me. Lots of citizens will die from this and the best defense is again a good offense. Hell is coming to those areas with concentrated population, in the cards and always has been, virus or no virus. All it takes is some event of the magnitude of this one and population centers death rates spike up. Not to be a smart azz but again, I'm very glad reside where I do. being in a 'fly over' area has disadvantages but in this case, the advantages far outweigh the alternative.

I'm on an RV forum (we own an RV and have for years) and reading along on that forum (and not commenting because I'm aghast at the comments) about how those people are going RV'ing and planning cross country trips and I keep thinking to myself, you are really stupid folks, I mean really stupid. Typical attitude though and that attitude can and will kill you presently. My wife and I will use our RV, we will 'backyard camp. this year. My backyard is about 43 acres of woods. Works for me just fine.

Until the general populace wraps their minds around the gravity of the situation, many innocent and otherwise unimpacted by the virus people will die.

You cannot put it any other way. There is no 'sugar coating' with this and no matter how much postulation there is, the death toll and the infection rate will increase so long as people exhibit that cavalier attitude of 'it's not me so hell with the Chinese flu, I won't get it'. Wrong, totally wrong. helluva way to die too as you drown in your own bodily fluids and there is no cure, no immunization, no nothing but death. I'll pass or at least I'll do what I need to do to survive.
Honestly, If I didn’t have to work I’d have hooked the camper up and took off to self isolate in some national park. I can’t think of a better way to stay away from it than that. I am backpacking this weekend and will probably do so every 4 days off I have. If there is no people around that’s the best isolation.

Honestly, If I didn’t have to work I’d have hooked the camper up and took off to self isolate in some national park. I can’t think of a better way to stay away from it than that. I am backpacking this weekend and will probably do so every 4 days off I have. If there is no people around that’s the best isolation.

Far as I know, all National Parks are closed, most private campgrounds are as well. We aren't the 'camground' types anyway. I look at campgrounds as concentrated population centers. never stayed in one except when travelling to some distant point and then only to overnight. We are 'stealth campers' for the most part. Don't do screaming kids or lit up RV's all night or noisy generators either. We go for the quiet and solitude but then, my wife and I are loners anyway.

Far as I know, all National Parks are closed, most private campgrounds are as well. We aren't the 'camground' types anyway. I look at campgrounds as concentrated population centers. never stayed in one except when travelling to some distant point and then only to overnight. We are 'stealth campers' for the most part. Don't do screaming kids or lit up RV's all night or noisy generators either. We go for the quiet and solitude but then, my wife and I are loners anyway.
Some are others not, each one has done their own thing on campgrounds. All back country is open and Indiana’s state parks are open. No offices open and online reservations and payment are required. They are encouraging the public to use the state parks to get outside. They are all open without fees right now.

Here in my part of Missouri, the Corp of Engineers and Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) have two different approaches to getting out and enjoying nature. The Corp has completely shutdown using their facilities to Mark Twain Lake, they not only shutdown the boat ramps, but they also shutdown the hunter/fishermen parking lots. The parking lots are small and scattered around so people can hike into the public lands, they literally have metal gates closing them with signs saying due to the Covid-19 virus. I just don't get it.

The Conservation Department on the other hand is waiving fishing and trout permits for almost 3 weeks to encourage people to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

The Bank where my wife works has just been closed for 2 weeks !!
The Managers brother is suspected that he has the virus
which means all employees may have been in contact
Luckily my wife was off at the time because I am one of the people
who are in the high-risk zone ( age and health)

Only if people comply. Highly doubtful. People in general have the 'it's not me' attitude. Some on here as well. That attitude is what spreads the virus and impacts otherwise innocent people. My philosophy is, the more remote you live (ie: rural America) the better chance you have of surviving it. That and acting responsibly. None here either but then I live in a very rural area on a farm so no one around and we like it that way. I can surround myself with nothing. All good with me. Don't you observe that where population is concentrated, the 'cases' increase? Easy to ascertain why as well.
Yea....the big cities here is where its worst....just like the rest of the country. What are folks feelings on martial law? Sadly that is what it would take to put a real dent in this thing I think.

The Corp has completely shutdown using their facilities to Mark Twain Lake, they not only shutdown the boat ramps, but they also shutdown the hunter/fishermen parking lots... I just don't get it.
Where you have boat ramps, you have people needing to use a bathroom before and after being out on the water. It's likely the need for these ancillary facilities, or what some folks will do if they're unavailable, that has them closing the lake access.

Sucks, as I spend nearly every weekend using one boat ramp or another, to satisfy my own sailing addiction.

People aren't getting the math.
"she put herself through “math boot camp” and shored up her math background. "

Early in college while taking several math and science courses - one night I woke up with the bedroom a disaster- only to realize I had been having a nightmare about loosing my variables, and had apparently spent time searching. It can be traumatic for the newly initiated. Imagine a high proportion of the public seeing log curves and growth rates, this chart or that, and eyes glazing over.

Various claims are made that nearly half the US citizens do not believe in evolution including the VP. No need to do the math when the alterntive is to let someone else do the thinking for them.

For those that are data-driven, this is sobering math.
Doesnt seem to effectively factor in all the shutdowns already underway. True for the hot spots. Lots of political spin thrown in with the math. Trump may well lose the election as they predict, but not to Joe Biden. IMO.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
The current numbers speak for themselves, regardless of wishful thinking. In New Orleans over half of the EMS staff is in quarantine. NYC, about 10% of the police force is currently on sick leave. Both of these numbers are on the rise. These are cold, brutal facts. Other major cities will be in this situation soon. Don't make any Easter plans.

At this point it is unknown whether either candidate will make it to November. They are both over 70. Reports in the news today say that Prince Charles, heir to the throne, has been infected.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Only way i can see opening any factories any time soon even in low infection states is testing every employee EVERY DAY. And with same day results . Dont think testing is that robust just yet. Widespread quick turnaround testing followed by isolation of infected is the key to any victory here.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
The current numbers speak for themselves, regardless of wishful thinking. In New Orleans over half of the EMS staff is in quarantine. NYC, about 10% of the police force is currently on sick leave. Both of these numbers are on the rise. These are cold, brutal facts. Other major cities will be in this situation soon. Don't make any Easter plans.

At this point it is unknown whether either candidate will make it to November. They are both over 70. Reports in the news today say that Prince Charles, heir to the throne, has been infected.
NOEMS is starting today running on the CDC guidelines of no fever anymore return to work with a mask for the 14 days.

Our policy will be the same once we hit 25% off.

NOEMS is starting today running on the CDC guidelines of no fever anymore return to work with a mask for the 14 days.

Our policy will be the same once we hit 25% off.
Hope you don't see that number.

Though it's been said before, thank you so much for your service. I don't know what we would do without the heroic efforts of people on the front line. When this is finally over I would rather give health care workers a year's salary bonus, than bail out the cruise lines.

Here is another example of the value of early and extensive testing, which is still not happening here. Germany has the lowest mortality rate so far, in spite of spiraling numbers in neighboring countries. They are testing about 120,000 people a week in a country of 83 million. The US has done about 90,000 tests, total for a population of 327 million.

Eventually, it's likely that Covid-19 cases in Germany will exceed testing capacity, but so far they have done well. Home testing kits are starting to come online so hopefully US testing will finally start ramping up.

The US has done about 90,000 tests, total for a population of 327 million.
Yur numbers must be way off . No way we have 62000 positive cases out of 90000 tests.That would be a 66% positive rate. Last i read the positive number was 10% of the tests taken . That would put the tested number closer to 600000. But we do need nationwide testing if we ever want to go back to work or out in public anytime soon.
"According to the American Enterprise Institute, which started a tracker of America’s testing capacity, the country could carry out 36,810 tests a day as of March 16. That total was expected to rise until it hit 100,000 or more per day as of March 27".
Still not enough yet IMO.

Last edited:
Still have people that are not concerned, I am starting to work from home tomorrow. Got a little flack from the guys in the shop, but the general consensus is people would rather make money instead of stay healthy. We do repair work and fab for 4 industries that were considered "life essential businesses" so we were allowed to keep the shop open. After finding out who our owner is related to today I believe a few phone calls and lunch dates were made and we were allowed to continue operations. A few of us are not happy.

Yur numbers must be way off . No way we have 62000 positive cases out of 90000 tests.That would be a 66% positive rate. Last i read the positive number was 10% of the tests taken . That would put the tested number closer to 600000. But we do need nationwide testing if we ever want to go back to work or out in public anytime soon.
"According to the American Enterprise Institute, which started a tracker of America’s testing capacity, the country could carry out 36,810 tests a day as of March 16. That total was expected to rise until it hit 100,000 or more per day as of March 27".
Still not enough yet IMO.
Testing numbers here from the CDC. It looks like about 90k but with some yet to be reported so actual numbers will be higher.

I spent about 5 minutes trying to find testing numbers at AEI but couldn't - @Seasoned Oak, have a link?
They don't seem too credible when compared to the CDC anyway.

Various claims are made that nearly half the US citizens do not believe in evolution including the VP. No need to do the math when the alterntive is to let someone else do the thinking for them.

I dont believe we came from monkeys. Guess I have no brain

I spent about 5 minutes trying to find testing numbers at AEI but couldn't -
It is hard to find ,thats why i used the projected cases from the positive outcome numbers. Highest positives were in some hot zones in NYC but those were only in the 20% area. Most positives were 10% or less of those tested. So if we have a now reported 65000 cases they must have tested at least 650000 to get to those numbers or at least close to that. Home test kits are gearing up to go out in few days ,possibly on amazon. And also have to remember only those with certain symptoms are even tested at all. I hope they are testing ALL medical personnel,medic21 could attest to that.

Damn bastards closed the gym and I hate running.
536EBFED-14D4-469F-9B94-76D930C96A26.jpeg65A5B44C-0D7D-4A3C-B6BE-22A08AA82CC7.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.