Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feeling compelled to join this conversation. My daughter is a nurse. She has been keeping mom and dad in the loop daily as we have kept her oldest here with us for a week or so.
Much like others in the health care industry are, she is working working in a insane atmosphere without proper PPE. As a mother of 3 and a wife she is terrified. The crazy part is that the restrictions put on testing possible Cov19 patients is beyond retarded. Almost impossible. The daughter got in a verbal battle yesterday with the local testing authority that resulted in her patient receiving the test. Trisha was threatened with disciplinary action or loss of her job for being insistent. She laughed in the ladies face and told her she was delusional. Fire me. Please.
The NY Times posted a video by a young doctor last night of working conditions at a major Queens hospital. She was having to wear her N95 mask for multiple days and has the same issues with lack of testing. This has caused exposure when they are triaging patients that come in with symptoms for what appear to be non-Covid related illnesses, like stomach cramps. This is done with minimal protection. They later find out via Xrays that the patient is infected. She also reported that the majority of the people they are seeing are in the 30-40yr old range. The lines to the ER are very long. Like over 100 people. They are not getting enough PPE or ventilators, in spite of promises. This is the US she sobbed, it's more like a third world country.

This is unsustainable. People need to lockdown and isolate to slow this beast down or when they need a hospital they may be SOL.

Last edited:
I think some people are being pushed into a false sense of security in the locals areas here. They see the number of cases but, don’t realize what’s behind that number. They are still only seeing number of those hospitalized and not seeing that the regional medical centers are close to being overwhelmed. In Fort Wayne Indiana there are 10 cases in the county of 400,000+. They have 36 Medical ICU beds in the county between 2 major trauma centers. All beds are full with vented pts. The other issue is the number of actual cases that were not tested.

We are told to expect an explosion of cases in the next 6 days due to testing lag.

Reactions: begreen and mcdougy
Germany has increased its ability to test for the new coronavirus to 500,000 a week.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I have tons of empathy for medical workers, civil servants and people that preform critical jobs, jobs that need to go on with or without this virus.
I think it is tough for the general population to realize that this virus battle is being treated like a war, unfortunately the front lines are being over ran, there's nothing that can be done since supplies are in very short order, and by default the front line was more less going to get over ran; its very frustrating for many to understand this, we are the best country in the world, yet we're being over ran by an enemy that can that you can not see, you can not hear, you can not smell, and unfortunately once you realize that the enemy is close, its to late. I have my own sentiments on preparedness, but I hate to say that even if we had a pandemic plan in place and saw this virus as a threat as early as September (which it did not exist btw) we would still be severely impacted by this.
Police yourself is the best advice, break the habit of touching your face, get into the habit of washing your hands, stop talking quietly, be load so no one else has to get closer then 6ft, isolate your self from the people outside your immediate household as much as possible.

for your listening pleasure

Last edited by a moderator:
The shortage in ppe and equipment is real. All countries are being told the same thing......we've ordered it. I'm sure it will come, but the concern is when? Testing is part of the solution, but lacking equipment and supplies isn't getting it done. I'm starting to wonder if they are scrambling to be prepared for wave 2 and are going to limp thru this first wave taking high casualty. I'm an optimistic person and continue to have to prop my ICU nurse wife up, she is no softy by any means. She has seen horrific things for 25 years, a keener, has extensive infectious disease training and she is SCARED. Something that I have never seen before. Sars, H1N1, Merv's, and Ebola never made her flinch. Even walking into a room with 2 patients with suspected Ebola in her space suit she signed up for. An amazing woman, the one type of nurse you hope you have in a time of need, not a cowboy, not doing it to be a hero, doing it because she truly wants to make a patients situation the best and safest, and she's scared? Something is wrong, very wrong. Again I state, Do your extreme best to ISOLATE. This situation is REAL. The politics and CEOs will not get us thru this. Frontline workers will be making snap decisions to get us thru this, and they WILL get us thru this chaos. Our job is to ISOLATE.

Went to the hardware store today to get some part to complete the washing machine install. Got my parts figured I would check out the housewares and bingo scored a pack of Charmin extra strong mega rolls. Fridge and freezer fully stocked, beer fridge stocked, enough TP for 2 plus weeks, working wash machine. Life is good today.

Reactions: begreen
Went to the hardware store today to get some part to complete the washing machine install. Got my parts figured I would check out the housewares and bingo scored a pack of Charmin extra strong mega rolls. Fridge and freezer fully stocked, beer fridge stocked, enough TP for 2 plus weeks, working wash machine. Life is good today.
1000 people would say the other, I don’t want to diminish your windfall nor make light of the situation, if I can give any advice right now, my advice is to stock up on essentials, this time Tuesday in the NE we’re going to be hurting and the media is going to be running wild, I would think that service disruptions in the area will occur due to many reports of all the same thing.

Last edited:
I am dealing with people who still think this is a make believe situation. I went to Costco today for cat food. They did not have any. Costco is doing a good job locally. They are sanitizing the carts, only letting so many in at once, they have set senior hours and at the checkout they enforce a 6 foot rule.
However, back in the aisles the old farts were gathering in large groups to chat.
At work, I have two employees in addition to myself. Two of us have people at home with health issues. If we take something home, they are goners. The business is listed as essential during the lockdown, but my feeling is that my first responsibility is to the three of us. The customers apparently have other ideas as they are in many ways acting like as long as they get their wants satisfied immediately the rest of the world can FO. So, I shut the place down and the hue and cry is starting.
There is good money to be made, but it would be hard to spend it from 6 feet under.
I had to sign a paper at the bank yesterday. The bank person made a remark that this was starting to get real, and that she was having trouble believing it. I told her that every time I told her over the last several weeks that this would get ugly, she looked at me like I was crazy. People need to wake up.

I am dealing with people who still think this is a make believe situation. I went to Costco today for cat food. They did not have any. Costco is doing a good job locally. They are sanitizing the carts, only letting so many in at once, they have set senior hours and at the checkout they enforce a 6 foot rule.
However, back in the aisles the old farts were gathering in large groups to chat.
At work, I have two employees in addition to myself. Two of us have people at home with health issues. If we take something home, they are goners. The business is listed as essential during the lockdown, but my feeling is that my first responsibility is to the three of us. The customers apparently have other ideas as they are in many ways acting like as long as they get their wants satisfied immediately the rest of the world can FO. So, I shut the place down and the hue and cry is starting.
There is good money to be made, but it would be hard to spend it from 6 feet under.
I had to sign a paper at the bank yesterday. The bank person made a remark that this was starting to get real, and that she was having trouble believing it. I told her that every time I told her over the last several weeks that this would get ugly, she looked at me like I was crazy. People need to wake up.
Take a seat, buckle up, you're in for one hell of a ride.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I am deeply worried for the u.s.a.
I have family living there. The severity is much greater than the people have been led to believe.

1000 people would say the other, I don’t want to diminish your windfall nor make light of the situation, if I can give any advice right now, my advice is to stock up on essentials, this time Tuesday in the NE we’re going to be hurting and the media is going to be running wild, I would think that service disruptions in the area will occur due to many reports of all the same thing.

I am blessed in that I do not live in a high density area, out in the country we are pretty self reliant. I have not bought meat from a grocery store in years. I go to the grocery store for fresh produce and there is no shortage of that, now if I wanted junk food like ramen or mac and cheese that is hard to come by in the grocery store.

Reactions: Highbeam
I go to the grocery store for fresh produce and there is no shortage of that, now if I wanted junk food like ramen or mac and cheese that is hard to come by in the grocery store.
A lot of people are likely afraid to handle or eat the produce right now, I suspect.

I am blessed in that I do not live in a high density area, out in the country we are pretty self reliant. I have not bought meat from a grocery store in years. I go to the grocery store for fresh produce and there is no shortage of that, now if I wanted junk food like ramen or mac and cheese that is hard to come by in the grocery store.
I'm envious of that, I live in what people from our area call a rural setting, but compared to the rest of the country we are not rural at all, our town is 68 sq miles, with a population of 22k, one local food store, a few post offices, and a hand full of gas stations, its bound to happen that even in our "rural setting" that someone will be crossing someone else, doesn't help that our town being approx. 60 miles from nyc has the majority of people work / commute to that area, we are what is called a bedroom community and many jobs that people do are service related so working from home prob only affects half the commuter workforce.
Its important to realize were you live the demographics of the people, I feel safe here, but Im not running out to the food store every day like my neighbor, so my risk is much lower then there's.

A lot of people are likely afraid to handle or eat the produce right now, I suspect.

Wash your produce, I am not eating salads more like cauliflower broccoli etc veggies that we cook. I also quit buying the daily newspaper to not expose myself going into the store and from the paper itself. There are certainly advantages to living in an unincorporated township where nothing ever happens. We have 1 confirmed case in the county I live in. Plus as we go thru this you have to enjoy the little victories like scoring a pack of TP.

Reactions: SpaceBus
No proof anyone can catch CV-19 from produce or takeout food. Unless someone is voluntarily hanging out in hospital every indication is the vector is a direct transmission of mucous on airborne droplets from the lungs of the infected person to another unfortunate victim.

I'm envious of that, I live in what people from our area call a rural setting, but compared to the rest of the country we are not rural at all, our town is 68 sq miles, with a population of 22k, one local food store, a few post offices, and a hand full of gas stations, its bound to happen that even in our "rural setting" that someone will be crossing someone else, doesn't help that our town being approx. 60 miles from nyc has the majority of people work / commute to that area, we are what is called a bedroom community and many jobs that people do are service related so working from home prob only affects half the commuter workforce.
Its important to realize were you live the demographics of the people, I feel safe here, but Im not running out to the food store every day like my neighbor, so my risk is much lower then there's.
We are pretty remote here. 22 miles from the nearest town of about 3500 with out a neighbor within a 1/4 mile. But in a way that seems to give folks a false sense of security. I'm not implying you are though. The number of cases are creeping closer to our county nearly every day with three bordering counties with confirmed cases. I have come to the conclusion that it will eventually make it's way to every community. Hopefully it doesn't get as bad in rural areas but if it does....hopefully it will at least happen after our major cities around the country are starting to see some relief so our hospitals can have a little relief.

That's kind of my take on it too - nearly everyone will get it. It's just if we all get it at the same time the healthcare system will collapse resulting in more fatalities. The whole "flatten the curve" will make it a longer pandemic, but hopefully allow better treatment of all that require treatment plus time to development treatments and maybe a vaccine. It has gotten into retirement homes in our area - NOT GOOD! I got a bit upset with my bro-in-law the other day when he started crabbing about the shutdowns and how the economy is going to suffer... another one who has too narrow of a view and just doesn't get it... Sorry, construction isn't essential. It should be shut down for a month. They'd make up 2 weeks working OT and finish 2 weeks behind schedule. Minor inconvenience to slow the spread...

Reactions: firefighterjake
I'm envious of that, I live in what people from our area call a rural setting, but compared to the rest of the country we are not rural at all, our town is 68 sq miles, with a population of 22k, one local food store, a few post offices, .....
Yup, "rural" is where the US Postal service hires private contractors who pop a sign on top of their right-hand-drive Subaru. :cool:

... its bound to happen that even in our "rural setting" that someone will be crossing someone else, doesn't help that our town being approx. 60 miles from nyc has the majority of people work / commute to that area, we are what is called a bedroom community and many jobs that people do are service related so working from home prob only affects half the commuter workforce.
I have a friend in NYC (Manhattan) who lives in a pretty posh apartment building with a doorman. In chatting with the doorman she learned almost half the building is now empty, most having "gotten outta town". People of means have options. Probably second homes in your bedroom communities. !!!

It has gotten into retirement homes in our area -
Same here. A buddy I work with....his wife's great GPA is in a local nursing home. He said they are having to stay to their rooms. No one in or out. He said folks are staying in contact by going to their room windows....still shut...while on the phone to visit.

Henry Ford Health system has said it will ration access to ventilators based on the health of the patient, and their ability to survive the infection. Those deemed not able to recover will be made "comfortable".

My wife and I have been working on a rudimentary livestock fence and building a chicken coop. We've been wanting a few animals, chickens, a few alpaca, maybe some pea fowl, but it seems more pressing now.
Wash your produce, I am not eating salads more like cauliflower broccoli etc veggies that we cook. I also quit buying the daily newspaper to not expose myself going into the store and from the paper itself. There are certainly advantages to living in an unincorporated township where nothing ever happens. We have 1 confirmed case in the county I live in. Plus as we go thru this you have to enjoy the little victories like scoring a pack of TP.
We live near a town of 2,000 and our "town" is even less. I suspect after this is all done our small town will become unorganized territory or a TP.

Yup, "rural" is where the US Postal service hires private contractors who pop a sign on top of their right-hand-drive Subaru. :cool:

I have a friend in NYC (Manhattan) who lives in a pretty posh apartment building with a doorman. In chatting with the doorman she learned almost half the building is now empty, most having "gotten outta town". People of means have options. Probably second homes in your bedroom communities. !!!
Yeah, they are here in Downeast Maine now! No wonder the count keeps going up, just kidding, I know it would have gone up anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.