Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... The bottom line is they are working on many trials right now and maybe by August we will have some solutions for corraling this bug …

I receive a CenterWatch newsletter. Nice summary today ...

Reactions: begreen
Keep in mind that during the gulf war the government deployed some specialized shots and medicines to deal with diseases local to the area. Some of them had significant side effects and claimed long term health impacts. Speeding up the process increases the risk.
Keep in mind most studies of this somewhat link Gulf War Syndrome to the fact multiple vaccines were given at one time. It would have been relatively safe to give one or maybe two but, by giving them all at once it caused the way the body’s immune system responded to drastically change, or that’s the thought.

Reactions: begreen
[quoting the Doc] ....., but also because drugs can interact with other drugs to cause serious adverse reactions, or even with foods. Read the warning labels on your medications, and you’ll find that some (including very common drugs like statins) should not be taken with grapefruit juice. So simply applying an anti-viral for COVID-19 to the entire population could be unacceptably risky, if it was known to have frequent contraindications or interacted with a commonly prescribed drug.

And that's why vaccines are usually developed over an 18-36 month period. The 12-18 month promises are really a hope.
And the experts suggesting a vaccine by Sept should be forced to take part in every "test/trial" between now and then.
OH,... wait,.... where did they all go ?????

Reactions: bholler
And that's why vaccines are usually developed over an 18-36 month period. The 12-18 month promises are really a hope.
And the experts suggesting a vaccine by Sept should be forced to take part in every "test/trial" between now and then.
OH,... wait,.... where did they all go ?????
I think the shorter term hopes are for treatments, not vaccines. Yesterday there was an interesting interview with Dr. Robert Gallo about using the polio vaccine for boosting immunity. This will be going to trials soon. It's not a cure, but might buy some time while a vaccine is being developed. The hypothesis is that it kicks in the innate immune system. Some of this is based on a Russian study in the 1970s.

Idaho's daily increase of cases has dropped dramatically. I do not believe the drop is anything but a change in the way the number is determined. Now they are reporting confirmed cases and mentioning that there are also a number of probable cases.
If someone decides to try a new anti viral drug on confirmed cases, I think they are going to run into a road block with HIPPA. Even if a patient gives up names of contacts, what happens when a contact asks who reported the contact. I imagine if a case is listed as probable, it will be even more difficult to convince the patient to try the drug and allow the pursuit of possible contacts.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Idaho's daily increase of cases has dropped dramatically. I do not believe the drop is anything but a change in the way the number is determined. Now they are reporting confirmed cases and mentioning that there are also a number of probable cases.
If someone decides to try a new anti viral drug on confirmed cases, I think they are going to run into a road block with HIPPA. Even if a patient gives up names of contacts, what happens when a contact asks who reported the contact. I imagine if a case is listed as probable, it will be even more difficult to convince the patient to try the drug and allow the pursuit of possible contacts.
Most HIPPA rules are out right now. I've noticed the same dips and irregularities with Maine reporting. I'm convinced it's because there is minimal in state testing and some days the numbers look lower because it takes a few days to get results back from out of state. We only had 30 new cases a few days ago and then yesterday it jumped to 60. Even then line graphs have dips every few days.

Weekend reporting seems slow with apparent surges on Monday. Both new deaths and new case reporting have problems. New deaths can be rigged by assuming the people died from the virus and new cases are effected by number of tests administered.

In both cases the amount of testing greatly effects the bottom line so it’s a bit “fake”. Like watching one of those digital horse races at a stadium during intermission.

In response to HIPPA rules being discarded, what the government takes it rarely gives back. Furthermore, it often builds on the taking to justify further takings in the future. I have no idea what will be taken next based on the ability to take privacy based on the same justifications used to violate HIPPA.
However, here is one scenario I believe will happen. Now this may irritate some here, but logically VA benefits are welfare. If the government can disperse or restrict them based on income, having earned VA benefits is no longer a valid argument for receiving them based on the fact that not all who earned them are able to receive them. I look for the government to means test SS and deny it to those it deems unworthy in the same manner it has done to veterans.
The world has gone crazy over Covid-19. Suddenly it is appropriate to go into a gas station, a bank, or a liquor store while wearing a mask.

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
In response to HIPPA rules being discarded, what the government takes it rarely gives back. Furthermore, it often builds on the taking to justify further takings in the future. I have no idea what will be taken next based on the ability to take privacy based on the same justifications used to violate HIPPA.
However, here is one scenario I believe will happen. Now this may irritate some here, but logically VA benefits are welfare. If the government can disperse or restrict them based on income, having earned VA benefits is no longer a valid argument for receiving them based on the fact that not all who earned them are able to receive them. I look for the government to means test SS and deny it to those it deems unworthy in the same manner it has done to veterans.
The world has gone crazy over Covid-19. Suddenly it is appropriate to go into a gas station, a bank, or a liquor store while wearing a mask.
I agree, the loss of privacy seems draconian for me, but perhaps it's necessary, which makes it all the more terrifying. There is no easy answer for this, as there is no easy answer for any social issue. This is a real mess.

People it’s HIPAA not HIPPA.

Please enlighten me to what has changed. I work in healthcare and nothing has changed that I know of.

"In order to ensure that healthcare providers can serve patients, including those who cannot or should not leave their homes during this emergency, OCR announced on March 17, 2020, that it will exercise its enforcement discretion and will not impose penalties for HIPAA violations against health care providers that in good faith provide telehealth using non-public facing audio or video communication products, such as FaceTime or Skype, during the COVID-19 nationwide public health emergency. This exercise of enforcement discretion applies regardless of whether the telehealth service is related to the diagnosis and treatment of health conditions related to COVID-19. OCR also issued guidance in the form of frequently asked questions in support of the good faith rendering of telehealth services. "

Maybe private property rights, like taking property to set up medical care facilities (tents), or staging essential medical supplies for anticipated need (storage). Not too far from forcing medical support staff (they gotta sleep somewhere) into private housing to meet an ever growing public need.

Didn't a little revolution, way back before cell phones, start when some "well meaning" red coated peace-keepers were "moved" into private homes???

Maybe private property rights, like taking property to set up medical care facilities (tents), or staging essential medical supplies for anticipated need (storage). Not too far from forcing medical support staff (they gotta sleep somewhere) into private housing to meet an ever growing public need.

Didn't a little revolution, way back before cell phones, start when some "well meaning" red coated peace-keepers were "moved" into private homes???
I hear the concerns but this is another topic. Please start a new thread and keep this thread focused on the medical side of the virus.

Reactions: Ashful

"In order to ensure that healthcare providers can serve patients, including those who cannot or should not leave their homes during this emergency, OCR announced on March 17, 2020, that it will exercise its enforcement discretion and will not impose penalties for HIPAA violations against health care providers that in good faith provide telehealth using non-public facing audio or video communication products, such as FaceTime or Skype, during the COVID-19 nationwide public health emergency. This exercise of enforcement discretion applies regardless of whether the telehealth service is related to the diagnosis and treatment of health conditions related to COVID-19. OCR also issued guidance in the form of frequently asked questions in support of the good faith rendering of telehealth services. "
All that is doing is allowing non secure communications. If, and it’s a large if, a breech occurs doing this it will change it to an incidental type breach. Kinda like overhearing an RN and MD discuss a pt case or when I give a name and date of birth with a report over a radio in a critical pt. It also has the “in good faith” guidance, it did not make it a free for all.

HIPAA still applies fully and all of you PHI will be protected. You have to understand HIPAA before you can comment on it. If the billing person leaves you face sheet full of PHI laying around there will not be any less penalties than before.

8CF25920-A808-4630-882C-47C0EE43E122.png

Looks like some of the skepticism was well deserved, China added another 1290 deaths to their count today. Brings the death rate there to 6%.

I suspect there will be revisions in mortality numbers coming from many countries as the reported caseload drops to manageable levels. There are so many that have died in nursing homes and stay at homes that never were tested, but almost certainly died of Covid-19. The lack of testing in the US makes this issue particularly acute.

Will be very interested in following this. If it holds true to the 85x that makes the death rate .0008% right now. Much lower than season flu or a lot of other things. Will also decrease the hospitalization rate below flu.

With the paucity of testing data in the US accuracy may be futile. It's a very small testing sample and skewed by the mentioned need for Facebook and a car. We may have to rely on other countries for more comprehensive testing data to make these kinds of calls.

With the paucity of testing data in the US accuracy may be futile. It's a very small testing sample and skewed by the mentioned need for Facebook and a car. We may have to rely on other countries for more comprehensive testing data to make these kinds of calls.
All they were doing is testing for antibodies, there actual number appeared to be 50x and they are using math to determine the 85x. My guess is based on a lower turnout than they wanted. Either way it’s something to pay attention to. I can find flaws in any study that is done right now on either side. This is a first of its kind so it needs to be watched.

NH got hit along the border with Mass but many of the other counties are traceable to specific contacts. The state got caught with a lack of testing but now that they have access to more testiing the state is going after the riskiest senior and disabled living facilities and even the homeless population. The number of detected cases no doubt will go up but at least they are starting to make a dent in the testing backlog. Since Mass has it worse, unless we close down the highways we are not going to be able open up much as the folks from Mass will head up here to get around the restrictions in Mass.

The numbers Michigan posted maybe a week ago showed about a 95% death rate. As in deaths vs recovered which is both outcomes of finished cases. Right now it’s about a 80% death rate. But the thing is they have only gotta be testing those who are the worst off, so of course most of them aren’t going to make it. We have drive thru testing sites but only if you qualify. We will never know the true numbers until testing is available for everyone.

I suspect there will be revisions in mortality numbers coming from many countries as the reported caseload drops to manageable levels. There are so many that have died in nursing homes and stay at homes that never were tested, but almost certainly died of Covid-19. The lack of testing in the US makes this issue particularly acute.

I agree mistakes will be made, but missing 1 in 3 Covid-19 deaths is pretty substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.