Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More and more indicators in the news that US and other world officials are either suspecting or at least debating whether this actually was released from the Wuhan infectious disease labs, after all. But before you go all conspiratorial, the discussion is based on the likelihood of this being an accidental release due to insufficient safety practices, not any intentional act.

I believe this has been suspected by some, all along, and was behind the current administration’s desire to quickly label this as having come from China. The financial repercussions for China, if this is proven (or at least widely believed) could be quite significant, given the history of past warnings and discussions over lack of proper safety in this lab.

I came across this today, from a local paper in 1918. History doesn’t repeat, but it does rhyme, right?

Corona Virus

Reactions: Alpine1
All they were doing is testing for antibodies, there actual number appeared to be 50x and they are using math to determine the 85x. My guess is based on a lower turnout than they wanted. Either way it’s something to pay attention to. I can find flaws in any study that is done right now on either side. This is a first of its kind so it needs to be watched.
Have you been following reports on the mortality rate of black people that have contracted the virus? It is way higher.

I came across this today, from a local paper in 1918. History doesn’t repeat, but it does rhyme, right?

View attachment 259424
There is a neat project that has turned clippings from the period of the 1918 Spanish Flu into audio files. It was a very similar time when one listens in the context of human responses and concerns of that period.

Reactions: Ashful
I'm a Ph.D. physical-organic chemist. Decided to get my copy of "Basic & Clinical Pharmacology" to read the chapter Antiviral Agents. It begins "viruses are obligate intracellular parasites ..." O.k., this is going to be a long read.
Theeth smiley

• Haha
Reactions: Sawset and Medic21
After that prepared to get lost in understanding our immune systems which we are still learning a lot about. It's a deep dive.

Have you been following reports on the mortality rate of black people that have contracted the virus? It is way higher.

In as much as I'm 1/4 African American, I have closely been following it. I believe it's because quite a few African Americans have underlying health issue and a large segment of them (like in the metro Detroit area) are poor to begin with and afraid of doctors in general. Not afraid of medical treatment but afraid of the costs that it incurs. Even though the administration has stated many times that care will be of no cost to the patient, there is still that underlying fear.

Been away for a while (over a month) not because I've been sick, but my laptop suffered a brain fart but it's been repaired and I'm back.

I sincerely hope everyone is well and still with us and being cautious with the virus. My wife and I are basically hermits and if we do go out to say the grocery, we wear masks and use hand sanitizer.

The metro Detroit area was hit hard and we live south of there about 70 miles. Not much in the way of Covid 19 around here, about 6 confirmed cases locally. Even so, we, I especially am being very careful. If I contracted it, it would be almost a certain death for me, being a survivor, my immune system is compromised.

Still roasting corn, thought that would be finished last week, but we had another cold snap with 5" of snow. Winter just won't let go here.

Stay safe and be safe and stay alive.

Reactions: kennyp2339
I'm a Ph.D. physical-organic chemist. Decided to get my copy of "Basic & Clinical Pharmacology" to read the chapter Antiviral Agents. It begins "viruses are obligate intracellular parasites ..." O.k., this is going to be a long read.
Theeth smiley
Too many can’t get past that a virus is not alive.

In as much as I'm 1/4 African American, I have closely been following it. I believe it's because quite a few African Americans have underlying health issue and a large segment of them (like in the metro Detroit area) are poor to begin with and afraid of doctors in general. Not afraid of medical treatment but afraid of the costs that it incurs. Even though the administration has stated many times that care will be of no cost to the patient, there is still that underlying fear.

Been away for a while (over a month) not because I've been sick, but my laptop suffered a brain fart but it's been repaired and I'm back.

I sincerely hope everyone is well and still with us and being cautious with the virus. My wife and I are basically hermits and if we do go out to say the grocery, we wear masks and use hand sanitizer.

The metro Detroit area was hit hard and we live south of there about 70 miles. Not much in the way of Covid 19 around here, about 6 confirmed cases locally. Even so, we, I especially am being very careful. If I contracted it, it would be almost a certain death for me, being a survivor, my immune system is compromised.

Still roasting corn, thought that would be finished last week, but we had another cold snap with 5" of snow. Winter just won't let go here.

Stay safe and be safe and stay alive.
That was my first thought also, it’s more a socioeconomic Issue than a race issue. There is also a high rate in the Hispanic and “other” ethnicity categories in our state. That lines up to the poverty lines pretty closely.

Reactions: Sawset
Well, I found out something I already knew. I don't understand this stuff, and glad I majored in chemistry.
Theeth smiley

… Too many can’t get past that a virus is not alive …

I was at a company when the mad cow scare of the 1990s hit. Microbiology and my department (regulatory affairs) both reported to the same v.p. (also pharm-tox, statistics, analytical, and the Technology Center computer department).

I remember him explaining prions to us. :)

Edit … Rather, trying to explain prions to us. :) :)

Last edited:
Think I looked like Victor, the RCA dog for the prion discussion. :)

I have my PHD in farming...:)

I have an interesting racial mix, 1/4 American Indian, 1/4 African American, 1/4 Pennsylvania Dutch and 1/4 German. I'm dark skinned, tan to a very deep brown, almost black in the summer am basically hairless but bald and have prominent cheek bones. I'm all set, all bases covered. There was never any racial inequality in my family, so I married a Jewish gal from New York.

In my opinion besides the fear of having to pay for medical expenses and being poor (like most of the citizens of Detroit are (as well as Chicago, cannot speak for NYC, the African Americans have a common underlying heath issue, cycle cell anemia. Very common in African Americans. Lupus too.

Well, I found out something I already knew. I don't understand this stuff, and glad I majored in chemistry.
Theeth smiley

I get disinterested right about the rNa stage of the lecture lol.

I’ll stick with acute care and dumping the pt at an ER. They pay the guy with the MD to come up with treatments past me worrying whether or not you’ll live to the hospital lol.

I get disinterested right about the rNa stage of the lecture lol.

I’ll stick with acute care and dumping the pt at an ER. They pay the guy with the MD to come up with treatments past me worrying whether or not you’ll live to the hospital lol.

Great attitude. Guess that is why you guys are referred to as a 'meat wagon'.....:p

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Great attitude. Guess that is why you guys are referred to as a 'meat wagon'.....:p
Lol, There are three types of EMS runs. One why are you bugging me. Two I can at least make you comfortable. Three if you want to live there’s nothing I can do for you but get you some where.

That third type is a very low percentage of the runs we do. And most of those are heart attacks. A couple times a year I actually get to use skills that can save someone’s life but the majority of the time we inflict our skills onto the patient to make us feel better about what we do. And that’s EMS summed up.

I like it. Inflict your skills....;lol I take it you are saying your rescues become your Guinea pigs......:p Comforting thought. Think if I was in that situation, I'd drive myself.

I like it. Inflict your skills....;lol I take it you are saying your rescues become your Guinea pigs......:p Comforting thought. Think if I was in that situation, I'd drive myself.
There is really a fine line that is not taught enough in Paramedic School. In Nursing they are taught a lot more pathophys and have a better understanding of how the body works. Some of us have learned that over the years, my wife would throw me out of the house if I didn’t put in the effort since she is both a RN and Paramedic, that sometimes Nothing or less is better for a patient outcome.

I have been around for a long time and understand different things because I wanted to learn and took advanced A&P class for my BS in psychology. We carry drugs that when used properly are very beneficial to pt outcomes but, that same drug can be harmful even when used “correctly”. Lasix is a big one. I see a lot of Medics treat with meds like lasix without having labs in possibly septic or even dehydrated pts because they have chf with pulmonary edema. That’s a really bad idea.

Just like we are learning that intubating a COVID pt is actually detrimental to their out come vs high flow oxygen. Yet, Paramedics are taught to look at a few numbers that show oxygenation and CO2 output and control the airway based on that. The problem with that is not taking into account that our bodies know better how to compensate for problems than we do. That’s how these pts end up on multiple pressors to keep a blood pressure and it’s these drugs that will play a direct roll in kidneys shutting down and further complications days later. The very sick and critical pts are why we exist but, these are the very patients we struggle with because we are reactionary without a big picture to guide decisions.

that’s why I say inflict our skills. That’s why I also think pushing advanced level anatomy and physiology classes is very important to the advancement of our fields. I also push for the ability to do serum lactate testing to get a better picture on how sick our pts are. Point of care labs are available and would be a huge improvement to pt care also. It’s all about money though.

Nephew was EMS; now a fireman. He commented once that 300-pound people always seem to be four flights up stairs.

Nephew was EMS; now a fireman. He commented once that 300-pound people always seem to be four flights up stairs.
One of many rules of three.

3am
300lbs
3 flights of stairs no elevator

That goes with the following

3 cardiac arrests in a shift
3 bad traumas in a row
3 long distance transfers in a riw
3 easy shifts followed by 3 shifts from hell

it’s science really...

One of many rules of three.

3am
300lbs
3 flights of stairs no elevator

That goes with the following

3 cardiac arrests in a shift
3 bad traumas in a row
3 long distance transfers in a riw
3 easy shifts followed by 3 shifts from hell

it’s science really...
My wife is an LPN and swears in the rule of three

The current administration has been steadily cutting public heath funding so the CDC and had a war on science in general

Funding for the CDC has increased under the current administration actually.

Reactions: Ashful
Funding for the CDC has increased under the current administration actually.
It's a work in progress. After this session, the administration reversed course. How this actually ends up is TBD.

What's True
The Trump administration's proposed 2021 budget includes cuts to the CDC's activities related to chronic disease.
What's False
Congress hasn't approved the budget, so CDC funding in 2021 remains unclear.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
Status
Not open for further replies.