Correct pellet stove venting? New Pellet stove!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

littlejay_vw

Oct 2, 2018
Upstate NY
So, I'm new . I'm ordering a Pellet stove next week from Comfortbilt. I'm getting a pad and stove. Been looking at different ways of venting. It's going to be in a corner with a corner pad. On first level of my house. House does have a basement. I want to vent through an appliance adapter, a 45, 12 inch piece, thought the thimble, then horizontal cap,In venting options I see, directly through the wall, up and out and up, and through the wall and up. Wondering which way to go? I will bo going through Sheetrock in the inside then that part of the outside of my house is stucco,concrete gravel. Looking to buy a venting kit, but I see some folks just venting directly out, which i would prefer. Nothing on that side of the house and would be 3 feet from the ground. Is it necessary to have a T clean out and then go up with vent tube then horizontal cap? what benefit is there? I read something about loosing power and allowing fro a natural draft so house doesn't fill up with smoke.Hence going up and out and up. I wanted it to look clean with just horizontal vent pipe through the wall..

It depends. I've done the direct vent with OAK on a Bixby and an Enviro M55; no problems w/smoke inside when power went out. Some stove mfgs state that a vertical rise is required. thus read the installation manual and follow its recommendation

It depends. I've done the direct vent with OAK on a Bixby and an Enviro M55; no problems w/smoke inside when power went out. Some stove mfgs state that a vertical rise is required. thus read the installation manual and follow its recommendation
Vertical rise on the inside of the house or outside? Guess, I’ll call that manufacture.

So, I'm new . I'm ordering a Pellet stove next week from Comfortbilt. I'm getting a pad and stove. Been looking at different ways of venting. It's going to be in a corner with a corner pad. On first level of my house. House does have a basement. I want to vent through an appliance adapter, a 45, 12 inch piece, thought the thimble, then horizontal cap,In venting options I see, directly through the wall, up and out and up, and through the wall and up. Wondering which way to go? I will bo going through Sheetrock in the inside then that part of the outside of my house is stucco,concrete gravel. Looking to buy a venting kit, but I see some folks just venting directly out, which i would prefer. Nothing on that side of the house and would be 3 feet from the ground. Is it necessary to have a T clean out and then go up with vent tube then horizontal cap? what benefit is there? I read something about loosing power and allowing fro a natural draft so house doesn't fill up with smoke.Hence going up and out and up. I wanted it to look clean with just horizontal vent pipe through the wall..
Going straight out the back is the best and easiest except if you loose power. then you can get smoke in the house. So how often do you loose power? If it is very seldom I wouldn't be concerned. If you loose power fairly often you might consider either going vertical about 4 feet to create a slight draft to hopefully suck out the smoke or simply buy a converter from 12 volt to 110 and have it hooked up to a 12 volt battery so the stove will keep running. We have had power outages a few times . and yeah no fun getting smoke in the house if you are home you could spray some water into the fire pot and put the fire out then empty the ash container. Pellets will smolder a long time making a lot of smoke so its best to put the fire out right away if possible.

Selkirk DT pellet vent is the most efficient for me!

Attachments

• 538E9208-D6C2-4E09-87FA-FBC7CA1B0006.jpeg
    538E9208-D6C2-4E09-87FA-FBC7CA1B0006.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 128
I would go straight out if possible, but since you're in a corner you'll need that 45 then straight out.

Mine goes straight out, so I have the appliance adapter coming from the stove into a "T". Then the "T" is connected to a 45 to a 12" or maybe 24", Can't remember off hand. And an end piece slightly titling down to keep out the rain/snow.

I ordered the ComfortBilt hp22. Just received it yesterday, and had to get a neighbor to help get it up 15 steps. The delivery truck only has a pallet jack which cannot go up steps. 320 pounds for two of us got the heart rate up for sure! But it was a lot easier to do than I expected.

Also got rid of my 25 yr old Whitfield at the same time. Now I'm waiting on a 12" duravent piece I ordered from homedepot to arrive. Should be here 16-17th. Can't wait to fire this thing up!