Cost sound High? Please advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

swanderek

Jan 16, 2018
Tacoma, WA
Hey everyone,

I am looking at getting a PE Super 27 at a local shop for $1700 with the ash tray.

My question is the dealer wants $1,200 (20 foot with double wall) for the chimney setup and $500 for the install. Does that sound high? House is a 2 story, but where it is going is the one story side of the house with 10.5 feet interior height. Please advise

It does sound cheep. Twenty years ago, I think my stove, chimney and install was around $3500. Now I would do it myself.

That's a good deal. I paid quite a bit more for less chimney and a pretty dang easy setup. I also paid more for install.

Yes, the bid is fairly low for this area.

I paid $800 for the labor- almost all of which I had to pull out and redo myself after I learned a few things about inserts. I guess I did get the benefit of them carrying the stove inside for my $800. :p

Call them in November and see what the price is then. I’d be all over that deal provided they were legit and did quality work.
The price may not change at all. Our pricing is exactly the same year round.

Ok he will come out and do an exact price soon. Thanks everyone!

Is the blower on the super 27 a must or does it not make much difference?

Ok he will come out and do an exact price soon. Thanks everyone!

Is the blower on the super 27 a must or does it not make much difference?
It depends on the house and how the stove is used. If the stove is centrally located in a fairly open floor plan you might not need it, especially if the stove is running 24/7. But if the stove is needed to quickly bring the house up to temp or if the stove is a one end of the house then a blower can be helpful. We have the blower on the stove but I only use it in below freezing weather when I want to increase hot air circulation to the farther corners of the house.

You sure that is double wall and not triple wall at Lowes? Get the double wall for sure.

The price may not change at all. Our pricing is exactly the same year round.

Wow I wouldn’t have guessed that. Parts/stoves I could see, but figured you would charge more hourly during the busier seasons. I work in the moving industry (slower in the winter and slammed from May-late August) and we have our summer and winter rates.

I assumed the price he received was discounted to keep the money flowing in into the summer season

I assumed the price he received was discounted to keep the money flowing in into the summer season
Could be. That's up to the business owners.