Costco now selling DIY mini splits.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I purchased a Mr Cool mini split. The install was easy and straight forward. Their tech support is less that stellar...not impressed. I am having an issue getting mine to run correctly and have yet to hear from them. No one answers calls or emails.

I purchased a Mr Cool mini split. The install was easy and straight forward. Their tech support is less that stellar...not impressed. I am having an issue getting mine to run correctly and have yet to hear from them. No one answers calls or emails.
I bought my Mr. Cool Universal units from Ingram's Water and Air and have had decent support. I tried Mr. Cool support also and was unimpressed.

What kind of issue are you having with running it correctly?

What kind of issue are you having with running it correctly?
There seems to be a blockage somewhere, I think in the indoor unit. Refrigerant isn't able to make a complete loop. In heat mode the pressure will climb to 700 psi and fault out the compressor, in cool the pressure will drop to 0 psi.

I installed a 24k btu (Mr. Cool) unit two years ago. Ran like a top for two years. In April the unit died while using it for heat. I emailed tech support and we went back and forth a few times and determined the inside unit's board was dead. They no longer made that unit and board, so they sent me a brand new gen3 unit. You really could not ask for better customer service I was floored. It was a pain to find a local guy come and evacuate the refrigerant, but I installed it and has been running great for over a month now. I hope this one lasts longer.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Try using the customer service form. Fill it out and they will email you back.

There seems to be a blockage somewhere, I think in the indoor unit. Refrigerant isn't able to make a complete loop. In heat mode the pressure will climb to 700 psi and fault out the compressor, in cool the pressure will drop to 0 psi.
Was it operating correctly at some point? I would double check the valves at the outside unit and make sure they are fully open. The allen screw should be backed out all the way.

Was it operating correctly at some point? I would double check the valves at the outside unit and make sure they are fully open. The allen screw should be backed out all the way.
has not worked correctly at all. just installed this spring. allens are all the way out.

don't know if i missed this but how many feet is the line set?

25 feet seems ok. but just for giggles did the pressures seem ok? or are there bubbles in view hole?

25 feet seems ok. but just for giggles did the pressures seem ok? or are there bubbles in view hole?
Bubbles in view hole??

some systems are like cars you can put in a view hole and if there is bubbles it needs to be charged

It does sound like a blockage of some type for the pressure range to be that extreme.
If the isolation valves at both units are fully open then it must be a problem with either one of the units or the lineset.
I would suggest that you look for a location with a big temp differential across it but that really only is helpful if you have a restriction. Your pressures, to me, indicate a total blockage as you say.

some systems are like cars you can put in a view hole and if there is bubbles it needs to be charged
Most call them "sight glasses".
I added one to my latest Mr. Cool Universal system install.

So after no techs replied from email or voicemail, I tried customer service. They took my info and tech actually called back. After explaining issue, tech had me loosen and tighten lineset. That didn't work. Called again and tech sent a whole new outside unit. Swapped out unit and, tada! Got heat and cool! Took about 3 months to work through it but they came through. Now to see how well it works.

Reactions: hockeypuck
So after no techs replied from email or voicemail, I tried customer service. They took my info and tech actually called back. After explaining issue, tech had me loosen and tighten lineset. That didn't work. Called again and tech sent a whole new outside unit. Swapped out unit and, tada! Got heat and cool! Took about 3 months to work through it but they came through. Now to see how well it works.
Good to hear. I’m going to get either the 12k or 18k DIY unit in the next couple weeks.