Cotter keys on Keystone scoop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beardley

Burning Hunk
Feb 5, 2009
Cato, NY
Anyone know if the cotter keys that hold the scoop in place on the Keystone are special? I don't see them on the parts website, so I was just going to grab some from the hardware store (I lost one cleaning out the ash)

Just grab a couple stainless hairpin clips at the hardware store.

Thank you
You're welcome. I got a pic this AM before I loaded up. ==c
upload_2017-11-15_12-20-56.jpeg

So how is the Keystone burning this fall? Any changes to your setup or anything? Are you still getting those temps pushing 700 on the stove top?
Hey, maybe we should start our own owners' thread:
2017-18 Keystone Performance Thread PART B (Keystone Komplete) ;)

Occasionally yes, I'm still getting those very high STT. Only when its a full cat burn. I also noticed after the first couple fires of the season, I have a lot of shiny creosote around the door, and in the back corner by the door.Gasket passes the dollar bill test, and I ran a match around the door to see if there was a leak, but nothing seemed obvious.

Other than that, she's been running great, Finally got a woodshed up, so no more fighting with snow covered wood!

So that thread would be you, me and Todd. Not bad company, me thinks.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I also noticed after the first couple fires of the season, I have a lot of shiny creosote around the door, and in the back corner by the door.
I think the creo buildup in the box of any cat stove is unavoidable, since we are smoldering the wood and there's a ton of smoke in there to condense on the walls.

I think the creo buildup in the box of any cat stove is unavoidable, since we are smoldering the wood and there's a ton of smoke in there to condense on the walls.

Yea it's been there in years past, just seemed like more than usual. My level of concern is pretty low. What's it going to do, catch on fire?

Reactions: Woody Stover