Could use help on an Ash score in zip 45305 (Bellebrook, OH)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Howdy,
Been off this board for a year and have really missed it. Lots of things going on, but nonetheless, I'll try to hang out again. I always enjoy it;-)

Stopped past a house where a guy was working a colossal ash tree and asked if he needed help. At the time, he said no, but took my number. A week ago I got a call from his brother, also his neighbor. Four ash trees, one sugar maple down and would I like to come help myself?

Really good guy, but not at the stage of life where he wants to do really hard work anymore. I've taken everything I can process from the sugar maple. It was hollowed out from a lightning strike. Maybe 30" diameter but I can't tell how serious the punk is.

The biggest ash rounds are 27" where the tree was cut. I don't really want to have to split a bunch of stuff before it even goes in the truck, but only because I'm not completely desperate for wood as so many years prior.

This rates as a high quality score because of the nice owner, level ground, driving right up to the wood, and shade can be found. I'll be full-up on the small stuff. Can anyone handle the bigger stuff?

I wouldn't mind helping him move the brush and I don't want to tear his lawn up.
Thanks,
Greg
DSCN1342.JPG DSCN1344.JPG DSCN1345.JPG DSCN1346.JPG DSCN1347.JPG DSCN1348.JPG DSCN1339.JPG DSCN1341.JPG

Guys, I'm getting all the "Goldilocks" stuff - not too small, not too big, just right... By next week only the 25"+ stuff will be left. The owners (husband and wife) have been great to work with. But it'll probably need to be put on Craigslist some time next week.

I know everybody has a million things to do, but I'd like to see it go to our community (other than me!) and get more good karma flowing out there in the ether.

Last edited:
I'm about done at this location. There's still plenty left, but I'm only going to get one more truck load. Once the rounds get above 16" diameter by 16" long, I kind of don't enjoy lifting them unless I have to. I don't want to split on-site with a wedge unless I'm desperate and I don't own a gasoline splitter.

I know I've gotten two cords and maybe more, but it's hard to know until you split and stack.

More than half of this stack is honey locust from last year. The ash and sugar maple is from this score. It all needs split and stacked. Just for grins, I picked up a few cedar rounds. They were casualties when the ashes came down.
DSCN1351.JPG DSCN1349.JPG DSCN1350.JPG

Last edited: