Council tool axes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I own one of their 4lb single bit felling axes. It's a good quality American made product, I'm sure their double bit will serve you well.

One of the last few American -made axes if I'm not mistaken.Along with Snow & Nealey of Bangor,Maine.I have a couple S & N drawknives bought back in early-mid '80s',they're equal in quality to any of my mid -late 19th century Sheffield or German/French edge tools. I think Collins Axe is still around,no idea if they're still made here or not though.

It looks to me to be a nice axe. I think I will try one out...

I was really looking for a good American made product and Snow & Nealey axe heads
are made in China. I had an old collins and the handle broke, by the time I got a new
handle someone had taken the head out of my shop... >:-(

Council tool now has a high end line of axes called "Velvicut", that look like they are meant to compete with Gransfors and other high end Euro axes. A small company called "Best Made Company" re-brands the Velvicut axes. Most of their re-branded axes have a significant mark up but they actually sell an "unfinished" version for a bit less than the Council Velvicut axes. I think if you want a high end American made axe Council's Velvicut or a Best Made Co. unfinished axe would be the way to go.

I did look into the Velvicut Axe...a little too pricey for what I had in mind. Just wanted
a nice quality USA made axe. I think I will go ahead and order one tonight. I am also
leaning toward buying their 6lbs maul while I am at it. I also like the look of the 3.5# Jersey
Classic w/ 36" Curved Handle...too many toys out there... :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.