Country Hearth 3000 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NCwinter

Sep 8, 2019
Shelby
This is my first time posting in a forum so I hope I am doing this right and my pics turn out ok. I am posting this just to ask if anyone else has a wood stove like this and if so what their preferences are about how they run it to get the most out of the stove. I installed this unit last year with the help of a friend of mine who works with me. He was the “brains” of the operation since he had prior experience working for a chimney sweep. Since he did this install he has started his own business part time. He tells me I was his first customer lol.

Ok so how we installed it was we utilized a old oil furnace chimney that was in a central location in the basement of the house. We used a tile crusher to remove all the clay tile from the chimney so a insulated stainless steel liner would fit since that’s what the stove manufacturer recommended. We used a T kit at the thimble to attach the rest of the single wall pipe to the stove. I have a heat deflector at the top of the pipe where my floor joists are since I didn’t have the clearance that I needed.

This stove was installed after I removed a old Craft Stove insert that was in my basement utilizing a exterior chimney. The Craft Stove was not producing the BTU’s that I needed so I decided to install this new stove that is capable of heating my 2400 square foot home. This will be my second season with this stove, last season was a successful one burning wood that I split myself from tree removals at a part time job of mine. If anyone has questions or comments about this stove please comment or message me, I would love to hear from you. Thanks.

3C377063-DEEE-4AC1-8CA1-7F5135630DFD.jpeg 496E8E0E-99B2-4CC1-9AAD-A521192B9839.jpeg C8C6A090-802E-4F38-9074-996F68BFAA05.jpeg 0D7343D5-AFD0-471C-AF3F-3A9AEBB3EC83.jpeg 7FE39E79-B2FA-4094-9612-BEDBA05F599C.jpeg 6BDA73EC-DEE0-4CB2-972E-00B739F05320.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice. Was a thick bead of silicone put down before the top cap was put on?

How long are you seasoning the wood after it is split and stacked? Dry, fully-seasoned wood makes a big difference in heat output in a modern stove. Also, are the basement walls insulated?

Thanks for posting. Let us know how the new stove works out.

Looks nice. Was a thick bead of silicone put down before the top cap was put on?

How long are you seasoning the wood after it is split and stacked? Dry, fully-seasoned wood makes a big difference in heat output in a modern stove. Also, are the basement walls insulated?
A week or so later I put a good amount of crown coat on the chimney to keep out the rain and lock it in place. Last year I wasn’t burning the most seasoned wood due to lack of preparation but still had good luck with the stove. I did notice a small amount of creosote when spring cleaning due to the unseasoned wood. This year I have enough split for the winter that will have been split for a year when it comes time to strike a match. My basement is unfinished with no insulation. I keep the door open upstairs to let the heat go to the main floor. Roughly 65-68 degrees is what I get up there.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
The silicone sealant should be under the top plate for a good seal.

If you find you are still needing more heat, insulating the basement walls can make a huge difference. About a third of the heat produced gets sucked out through the walls or about 1 cord in 3 burned.