Country living vs city living.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky

Nov 4, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Currently I reside in the most densely populated suburb of Buffalo... Called Amherst, NY. Which is quickly turning into a city.

Just recently, our marvelous town board has approved a bunch of 4+ story buildings to go up in the area, two went up really close to me, one is a 6 story hotel, the other is another 6 story building not to far from me.

I grew up in this area, lived here my whole life. I inherited my homestead.

I have been approached by developers looking to buy my house, for a substantial amount of money.

I want OUT!

Id like to live in the country...less people (I'm anti social) less traffic (my house sees 30,000 cars a day) no neighbors, no sidewalks.. Peace and quiet!

My question is, what are the downsides/upsides for this? I'm looking for other points of veiw.

Also, I can't move too far out as I own my own contracting business... So I am handy...

Each person has their own preferences.

At this point, my preference is the best of both worlds. Up here in New England we have a pretty high population density BUT it's semi-rural. That means we have bear, deer, fox, turkeys, coyote and more right in the backyard - can hike, sled, snowshoe, etc....BUT, it takes me exactly 3 minutes to get to a supermarket (by car), and I have virtually everything within 10 minutes (and a lot within 5 min)....

I've lived way out in the boonies at various times - enjoyed it, but now I prefer to have some of each....convenience and privacy...

Also, in new england (and many other areas) people tend to leave you alone (the old Yankee mentality), while some other rural areas your neighbors can be nosy even if they are not close....

Lastly, moving to an area which is likely to be developed in a decade or two can be a problem. I'd choose an area already developed (but semi-rural), so you know it's not going to be ruined after you become attached to it.

As I said, lots of areas like this up in New England. Not as true back in NJ or SE Pa, since development tends to move quickly there.

Are there any college towns close? They tend to have a nice mix of city and mellow....IMHO. NY State is beautiful and quite rural but my wife took it off our shopping list because, in her words "if we move out there the only food available is steak and pancakes"....we like our Trader Joes!

Probably depends on the area to a large degree, but . . .

Pro-

+ You can often purchase a place with more acreage for the same or less money for a similar type/size home in the city . . . and often lower taxes
+ More privacy -- you can pee outside without worrying about your neighbors calling 911 to report a pervert exposing themselves
+ Less people, less traffic . . . quieter

Con-

- Often less services (i.e. no town police, full time fire department, trash collection, etc.)
- Longer travel time to job site, hospital, movie theater
- Fewer choices for dining, local shopping, etc.

We left "in town" for the lake 3 years ago. Gotta drive further for work and shopping, but I'd NEVER move back. We have neighbors, being on the lake, but just next to us-fields across the street and lake behind. People are great and it's so much quieter (a lot more traffic in summer from people cruising-cars and bikes-but that's kind of expected).

You could probably move to Royalton, Akron, Hartland...and not be too far for work but still get space around you. I lived in Eggertsville when I was younger and my aunt and uncle lived in Middleport, it wasn't too far of a ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: briansol
NY State is beautiful and quite rural but my wife took it off our shopping list because, in her words "if we move out there the only food available is steak and pancakes"....we like our Trader Joes!

FWIW, Albany just got a Trader Joes :p
and we have amazing farm stands just west of Albany. Some grow salad greens all year round in high tunnels.

For the OP, depends on what you like. If you grew up in Amherst, you're probably use to a little bit of both worlds. Time to drive around to
some of the area neighborhoods and see what things look like (I'd skip the Love Canal though).

Even in the country its not always quiet. We live in a rural area on 5 acres with similar or larger properties all around.
Gun shots, yard blowers, and chain saws can be heard outside almost year round.

With acreage comes work. The time required to clear downed trees, mow grass, and maintain the driveway and fences is not insignificant.

One important consideration: home insurance. Some insurance companies won't insure if you're not within a certain distance of a fire station.
If you heat with wood this could be important.

Quite frankly if it's a dollar number you like to sell it at, then sell. I can't give any more advice than that. For most of my life I've lived 85 miles to the closest mall. i wouldn't have it any other way. But what do i know.

But my wife has a P/T job 40 miles away. She's there in less than 40 minutes.

We own 50 acres. It's a hell of a fence

I am of no help in your question, other than if it's a good price sell.

Moved to a 100 hector farm in 1979 after living in a large city
most of my life . Best move I have ever made. drove 50 min to
work on the outskirts of the city for 25 years now retired .
The only time it is quiet is at nite in the middle of winter the rest of
the time it is very noisy birds bullfrogs crickets and the like .
15 minutes to the nearest big town 5000 people
5min to the village 400 people. Beer store is 2 miles away Fishing
is a 2 min walk could hunt deer from my back porch. Taxes are 1/4
of a friend in the city We have garbage pick up mail delivery. We don't
have light pollution ,the stink of diesel busses and a paved road but I grow
my own veg,fruit and walnuts. I have a very peaceful life . Around my place
we do not lock your doors and I leave my key in the truck in case a neighbor needs it
I would never move back to the City for any reason

Obviously, you must sell. You wont be happy staying.

I agree wi t h webbie's concept of close enough for convenience but far enough away for quiet and built out enough to stay that way.

Reactions: flyingcow
Live NEAR, not IN, a college town. Population drops off quickly, so you can be two towns away with a population of 500, but have bars, coffee shops, restaurants, girl watching nearby.

Are there any college towns close? They tend to have a nice mix of city and mellow....IMHO. NY State is beautiful and quite rural but my wife took it off our shopping list because, in her words "if we move out there the only food available is steak and pancakes"....we like our Trader Joes!

Most of the colleges here are in the bigger cities/towns, at least in this part of the state. UB, Buff State, NU...NCCC is a community college in Sanborn, but it's not much of a college town.

There's a Trader Joes...in....Amherst. lol.

One thing I forgot is farms. We live near one that spreads and you will know about it. It doesn't usually bother me too much, except it does seem to lead to a LOT of cluster flies. Hate those. I did have to make sure not to live near cabbage fields, I can't stand the smell from those. On the upside, some neighbors have chickens and we have access to the best eggs ever. "Farm fresh" eggs will make you question the living and feed conditions of the chickens supplying supermarket eggs! We might get our own when we're done with the work we have to finish up here and have more time.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Figure out where your business market is and find an area that is convenient to it, in an area that is more rural. There is rural then there is rural. Some rural, has natural gas, city water, city sewer, some doesn't. Rural is relative.
BTW, congrats on a valuable piece of property in upstate NY.

Be aware of mowing, snow removal and the like. Rural life often increases the need for more or bigger maintenance equipment along with the time commitment to it.
Other than that, I can't really be objective. I simply don't understand why anybody would live where you bump, bounce and trip over other people.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I was in much the same situation eight years ago. My Baltimore County neighborhood was quickly becoming quite urban. I moved north and west to a rural county, and have not regretted it; however, here are the pros and cons for me personally:
Pros
Peaceful, Cleaner, Safer, More private, Less hubub, and don't usually have to wait in long lines at the store. Fresher meat is available(I have always grown my own vegetables and fruit), lower auto insurance rates.
Cons
No trash pickup, Well water maintenance more expensive than city water, More driving to work, stores, gas, etc. Property taxes are higher here. Lousy phone reception.
All in all, I have never looked back, though it is more expensive for me to live in the country than it was in the Suburbs. I would NEVER go back to Baltimore. In fact, because of urban sprawl, I am considering moving further out to the panhandle (Garrett County) once I retire. I don't mind being alone, and I love snow. I always keep 6 months or more supplies in case of emergency. The only drawback I foresee is emergency services.

image.jpg No offense to all you " townies" ,,,but I have no idea how anyone could live in town. I am thankful every day that townies exist, cause if you all realize how nice it is out here in the sticks, the sticks won't exist any more,,,,which is already happening.

As a child, we could not see our neighbors, and I was slightly discontented about the fact we were poor and the town kids seemed rich to us, with stuff to do all the time,,other then farm chores.

As I got older, I learned my life was much more fun then living in town. I rented a house in town once. It lasted almost 6 months. I'll never go back under my own power.

I live on 40 acres now, and 4 years ago, I could only see 2 houses from my front porch. Now I see 5 with more lots for sale.Farmers chopping up their land into road front building lots. I will never understand why someone would come to the country to build a house right beside someone else's house,,,,,that is town habits.

As others stated, it takes more equipment and tools to live out here. Maybe you can buy property with woods on it so you can feed your stove and be responsible for maintaining a woods and keeping it healthy.

My pet peeve,,,,,,,,(lol,,one of them),,,, is people that move into farming communities,,,build around farms that have been there for generations,,,,,then whine about the manure smell, chicken smell, ect,ect. We like it!

Watch out for allergies if you like the thought of living in farmland. I am allergic to concrete and asphalt myself.

My wife is a townie,,,,or was. She mentions town less and less over the years, as her chicken population grows. I think she has also realized if she ever moves back to town, it means she divorced me or I died.

You get your own water from a well, and pay for a new well if it goes dry. That reminds me, check the water quality where you want to go,,, it is important.

There is trash pickup in the country now, but I don't use them. Internet is limited in some places, as is tv services. More yard to mow, sustain your own septic system and drains. Hunters, mushroom pickers, atv riders, ect trespassing and littering. Cell phone doesn't work at my house,,,oh well.

Don't forget though, I can see the sun go down and come up,,I see stars at night, and sometimes it is so deathly quiet out here at night, I can listen to the coon dogs running a trail 2or 3 miles away. Nobody gives me tickets for parking my old truck in front of my house because it has no license plate on it, or tells me what weeds to cut, ect, ect. Where else can you park your dozer in the back yard? If we want to get drunk and drive the 4x4 down thru the muddy creek,,, that's what we do, hollering the whole time.

Life in the country is good.

Last edited:
I don't see any downside to country living other than maintaining a property and your commute .
Being close to things/stores/restaurants is irrelevant to me . You just learn to plan/stock up when you go into town. With Walmart ship to home I rarely see the store anymore. Ebay and amazon are also awesome for the country dweller. Country markets,butcher shops and farms all play the roll of the grocery store here.

Reactions: Ehouse
Moved to a 100 hector farm in 1979 after living in a large city
most of my life . Best move I have ever made. drove 50 min to
work on the outskirts of the city for 25 years now retired .
The only time it is quiet is at nite in the middle of winter the rest of
the time it is very noisy birds bullfrogs crickets and the like .
15 minutes to the nearest big town 5000 people
5min to the village 400 people. Beer store is 2 miles away Fishing
is a 2 min walk could hunt deer from my back porch. Taxes are 1/4
of a friend in the city We have garbage pick up mail delivery. We don't
have light pollution ,the stink of diesel busses and a paved road but I grow
my own veg,fruit and walnuts. I have a very peaceful life . Around my place
we do not lock your doors and I leave my key in the truck in case a neighbor needs it
I would never move back to the City for any reason
Sounds perfect:cool:

The only downside we can say is that we do have to travel a bit further for supplies but we do not mind. For example, starting a vehicle and going only a short distance, that vehicle generally won't last as many miles as one that goes a bit further. Also, we do not mind the drive through the country but hate the drive that is in any city or village. We are pure country and love it. Any disadvantage has many more advantages to offset them.

Good luck.

Reactions: firebroad
Its the city life for me....
Green0011.jpg

ok, actually my wife and I live in a nicely developed suburb, and each commute 30 mins in opposite directions.

[quote="razerface, post: 1647705, member: 31598I will never understand why someone would come to the country to build a house right beside someone else's house,,,,,that is town habits.[/quote]

you an me both. Makes NO sense. Why drive further to reach places...and have less access to services...to live RIGHT on top of everyone else? Now, as I said, we have neighbords right close, but only next door. Trade off for lake front. If we had found a house that wasn't lake front, it would have had to have acreage. I don't prefer close neightbors even though we like our neighbors, but there isn't really another option if you want to be on the lake. Even big money houses (like million dollar places) have pretty close neighbors (maybe 200' away instead of 50' or 100', but still, close). It just is what it is.

I grew up about an hour east of Cincinnati on a 36 acre mini farm. The closest I've ever lived to the "city" was about 20 minutes east of Cinci in a true suburb for a year and I absolutely hated it. That being said I do love the city, I work downtown 2 blocks from our city's "hippest" area and it's pretty cool to get off work and walk to some great places for happy hour. The bad part is a cab ride home is like $70 if you need it. I live now about 40 minutes from downtown (and work) on 3 acres surrounded by woods and fields and it's a good balance. The closest large stores are 10-15 minutes away and the commute sometimes get's old, but I'm always completely relaxed when I'm at home. I can fire up the dirt bike any time and not annoy anyone. I can shoot guns and nobody complains. Even my "yuppy" fiance who grew up within walking distance of a mall quickly decided that she like the "country" life better. It took some time though, the first time she drove out to my house and saw corn fields she got worried I was a serial killer and was going to hide her body in a field. She had somehow NEVER seen corn fields up close and associated them with fear. Glad she got over that!

No natural gas or cable. Hard to live without broadband nowadays. We have cellular modem, but if I lived just a little distance away, hills would block that. I guess there's satellite, but not sure how good that is.

Satellite sucks for internet. If you're in Michigan there's a chance you can get MiSpot. In very happy with mine. It's a 4g cellular connection, but it's dedicated and it's very quick. I'm on the fringe of their broadcast area and in the summer I often get 20meg download. With my old Verizon card. Which I get ok signal at my house, my fastest was about .7 to .8 Meg.

Status
Not open for further replies.