County provides free wood- Good news

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
Let's hope this idea catches on .

Now if I could only get Monmouth county to do the same thing.

I think most towns have a DPW that take wood and branches . I go to the dump after a storm and load wood . I just ask if its ok in the office . I even bring a gas splitter for the big rounds . Some times the dpw leaves the wood on the side of the road .

wellbuilt home said:
I think most towns have a DPW that take wood and branches . I go to the dump after a storm and load wood . I just ask if its ok in the office . I even bring a gas splitter for the big rounds . Some times the dpw leaves the wood on the side of the road .

Absolutely.

Where I live now has a town facility. But they don't let you take anything out-.

Quotes didn't work.

I check in regularly, but my town does not allow people to collect firewood from the facility.

njtomatoguy said:
I wanted to share a good news post, related to woodburning.
My house is for sale, and I grew up in, and am moving back to Mercer county,NJ.
Mom called, and told me to look up this article. I believe this is a positive use of resources.
http://www.nj.gov/counties/mercer/news/releases/approved/090203.html

SHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I read about this on Friday but didn't have time go and pick any up-I'm hoping there will be some left for people who can actually put it to good use. The Trenton Times did a big writeup about the frenzy that ensued yesterday when this all started. From the quotes in article (link below) it sounds like most of the wood is being taken by misguided suburbanites who think that they're heating their homes with their fireplaces. Hopefully since most of the yuppies were trying to stuff rounds into their cars they didn't get that much. Won't they all be surprised when they get the heat bill after burning that fireplace 24/7!

Now that's pretty cool! I grew up in Lawrenceville, NJ. Always frustrates the hell oout of me to see good wood chipped or just dumped when so many could be benefiting from it. It's a green and civic minded idea that should be done everywhere.

Not only that, maybe if they collected and sold some of it they could cut the taxes.... That or helped the less fortunate with free heat.

Matt

According to the article they've been doing it for a while but this is the first year that they have brought the wood out of the park to an area where it's easy to get to. Apparently in years past they would cut it and leave it on the side of the trail so folks had to use wagons and wheelbarrows to get it out. I don't mean to sound bitter but it's people like this that annoy me:

"I'm really pleased. It's more than I expected," said one Princeton woman who loaded her sedan with what she estimated as approximately $30 worth of firewood. "I hope I can burn it all."

Yeah-$30 worth as in those little bundles of wood you buy at Home Depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.