Countyline Wood Splitter 25-ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Please don't take my opinion as criticism of your new splitter, that was not my intent. Speeco makes good splitters, as do many others. Wood splitters are really a very simple machine. If it were my splitter, I would look for a log catcher, like you are doing, because splits will pop that way from time to time, like I said usually during a hard split where the one piece will pop off the splitter. If they don't come out with a catcher for yours, which would surprise me, I'd look at making one, or a guard for your engine. A cracked fuel tank and a hot muffler are a bad combo. See my post above to see my old design.
No worries brother! I was just stating that there appears to be no difference between the 2016 Speeco Countyline and the 2017 YTL Countyline when it comes to engine model and placement, that's all. Given the opportunity, I would love to have a new old stock that is virtually bulletproof! I'm slightly nervous about having the first version of the YTL Countyline, no doubt, but when I compare to the last Speeco, I think they are pretty similar.

For the price, its pretty darn hard to beat!!!

Reactions: Sodbuster
I just checked the store link and it appears the splitter is still on sale, wince, I might have to drive down there and get one. As someone once said about the possibility of equipment breaking down, cringe, "Two is one and one is none".
Yup, its there till today. My local TSC was sold out, but it appears that price is still valid online through today. I believe with free shipping to the store. I see used 22 and 25 ton splitters selling for more than this on Craigslist every day. I was partially tempted to buy a couple "extras" and sell them on Craigslist to recoup my money!!!

HAPPY SPLITTING EVERYONE! I'm getting anxious to get some more rounds so I can keep working this sucker!!!

Yup, its there till today. My local TSC was sold out, but it appears that price is still valid online through today. I believe with free shipping to the store. I see used 22 and 25 ton splitters selling for more than this on Craigslist every day. I was partially tempted to buy a couple "extras" and sell them on Craigslist to recoup my money!!!

HAPPY SPLITTING EVERYONE! I'm getting anxious to get some more rounds so I can keep working this sucker!!!

First years always make me nervous also. As far as price goes, I know! In my area, CL has 1978 3 point units (10 tons?) for $4-600 and used CL & DH for $1k or more, & NT for even more. I'm thinking maybe I should pick one up just to have-see?, or to mod with a lift/table, etc..

No worries brother! I was just stating that there appears to be no difference between the 2016 Speeco Countyline and the 2017 YTL Countyline when it comes to engine model and placement, that's all. Given the opportunity, I would love to have a new old stock that is virtually bulletproof! I'm slightly nervous about having the first version of the YTL Countyline, no doubt, but when I compare to the last Speeco, I think they are pretty similar.

For the price, its pretty darn hard to beat!!!

You've got that right, I believe that is less than I paid for my splitter about 5 years ago!!

Yup, its there till today. My local TSC was sold out, but it appears that price is still valid online through today. ......

Lol..., is there any possibility of you making a video? You would be the first to produce a video if you did, grimace.

Lol..., is there any possibility of you making a video? You would be the first to produce a video if you did, grimace.
When I get more rounds, I will. My friend is supposed to be taking down a MASSIVE oak tree in the next month or two. Once it's down I'll split some of the bigger pieces and the crotch pieces to show how it handles. Thus far I have been very impressed... it's motored right through everything I've thrown at it!

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Anything new on this splitter? Considering buying one....sucks cuz I can’t wait till next Black Friday for the sale but hard to beat the warranty. Find out which log rack fits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year, at Black Friday, I think it was seven nine nine and that was hard to beat.

I did see one YouTube video where the author had complained about the weld penetrations on the bea. The manufacturer sent him a new beam but the welds looked very similar.

I haven't heard any more/ less about them. I think they are now 999 at my local TSC.
Many of the reviews complain about the workmanship regarding assembly- no grease in the wheel bearings, bolts and clamps holding the unit together are loose, etc.. I think those issues are responsibility of the employee of dealer.

Go get one and post some pictures or videos.

The SPEECO splitters were originally made in the US with US parts then they switched to made in the US with some China parts. Now they are made in China with a US engine.
Many of the consumer grade splitter brands are made in China or with China parts.

Well....I couldn’t resist the urge any longer so I went TSC and bought the 25 T county line. After some of the previous reviews I checked all bolts and hardware to ensure tightness and all was good. I did buy the 2018 log catcher model and it fit as it should but does need some mods done so it gives me more room for bigger or multiple logs and so that it will provide some protection for motor.

I had to split a bunch of pecan big rounds. Some were about 30” in diameter and all knotted up. Splitter went through most of it just fine. The knotty rounds was a little slow followed by a Big Bang but it still split it first time through. Overall I’m very satisfied with this splitter however the only comparison I have is an electric 5T task force lol.

I wished I would’ve taken the time to video the pecan splitting, doubt I run across anything harder around here. For an amateur, it took me a total of 2 hrs to split that cord with the hauling and everything else by myself

Well....I couldn’t resist the urge any longer so I went TSC and bought the 25 T county line. After some of the previous reviews I checked all bolts and hardware to ensure tightness and all was good. I did buy the 2018 log catcher model and it fit as it should but does need some mods done so it gives me more room for bigger or multiple logs and so that it will provide some protection for motor.

I had to split a bunch of pecan big rounds. Some were about 30” in diameter and all knotted up. Splitter went through most of it just fine. The knotty rounds was a little slow followed by a Big Bang but it still split it first time through. Overall I’m very satisfied with this splitter however the only comparison I have is an electric 5T task force lol.

I wished I would’ve taken the time to video the pecan splitting, doubt I run across anything harder around here. For an amateur, it took me a total of 2 hrs to split that cord with the hauling and everything else by myself

Congratulations! I think the bang could be anything but it might be from the log popping and the moving parts making a clang noise (tongue, chains, etc.) My logs pop all the time, sometimes pretty major. Since I put the teets on my plate they don't seem to jump on the beam as much.

Vvideo, video....

Anything new on this splitter? Considering buying one....sucks cuz I can’t wait till next Black Friday for the sale but hard to beat the warranty. Find out which log rack fits?

I've used it twice thus far and like it. Still waiting for that oak tree to come down, hopefully next weekend. They have released a log rack for it, about $50. I haven't bought it yet.

Congratulations! I think the bang could be anything but it might be from the log popping and the moving parts making a clang noise (tongue, chains, etc.) My logs pop all the time, sometimes pretty major. Since I put the teets on my plate they don't seem to jump on the beam as much.

Vvideo, video....

Anyone else find themselves rotating their hip 90 degrees when you know you have on that's going to pop hard? That or wear a cup.

Anyone else find themselves rotating their hip 90 degrees when you know you have on that's going to pop hard? That or wear a cup.
I do. I turn away to protect myself. I watch some people hold the log or try to push it down on the wedge if a hard one starts slipping and I cannot do it.

The TSC 25 ton FAST splitter is on sale as of today for $879. Got the only one they had in the store last night after they put it together.

Took a chance on ordering the Black Diamond log catcher for $39.99, reviews indicate it is a direct bolt on to this model.

If I were in the market for one, I'd be hard pressed not to pull the trigger on the TSC 40 ton model. Has an impressive cycle time (9.5sec) with a 25GPM pump. I already have a 2010 Speeco 28ton and I like it, but this 40 ton would be awesome with it's fast cycle time and the ability to split anything you throw at it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-40-ton-log-splitter

Reactions: JRHAWK9
Last edited:
The TSC 25 ton FAST splitter is on sale as of today for $879. Got the only one they had in the store last night after they put it together.

Took a chance on ordering the Black Diamond log catcher for $39.99, reviews indicate it is a direct bolt on to this model.
That's the model that I have, I love it. Works great and fast thus far. I finally will get a chance for extended use next weekend. My friend finally got his large oak tree taken down, we have some huge diameter pieces to split!

The Black Diamon log catcher appears to be the exact same as the Countyline one that I bought in store 2 weeks ago. My local TSC finally got them in stock, so I purchased it. I've put a couple coats of aerosol bedliner on the catcher, just to help protect the finish and prevent bare metal.

That's the model that I have, I love it. Works great and fast thus far. I finally will get a chance for extended use next weekend. My friend finally got his large oak tree taken down, we have some huge diameter pieces to split!....
:ZZZ

Don't forget the pictures- they are worth a thousand words..., videos worth even more. Lol. ;)

This is the Black Diamond Log Table. Looks really solid and is a direct fit. The splitter has weld nuts in place so install was really easy.

1ac86bef2f436da98a6041be1e8d4efd.jpg

Finally got to split some the past couple of weekends. I can't get video, cause I can't hold it while splitting wood. The base of this tree was over 4 feet across. If I could muscle the log against the cradle all the way, it would split that big piece in half. Most of the time though, it took everything just to get the pieces slightly under the wedge and it would take a chunk off, but not go all the way through. The smaller pieces (still 3 feet across) were easier to push up against the cradle and split.

There were a couple of tough, knotty pieces that we encountered. The splitter would slow down, but pushed through everything we threw at it and kept on chugging.

The beauty of finally owning our own splitter was that we could take our time. In the past, I would stockpile a lot of bigger logs, or knotty pieces until I had enough to justify splitting. Then I would rent one for 4 hours and bust my tail to split them all and return the splitter. Now that we own the splitter, we split until we get tired, then take a break. If I get an hour or two in the evening I go over to my dads house (that's where the splitter and the oak tree is right now, he was running low on wood) and split. No worries about time constraints, no rush to get it split. So much more relaxing and enjoyable!

I don't envision ever splitting bigger pieces of wood, so I am very happy with the splitter. It took everything we threw at it and worked like a champ. The knotty pieces were pretty big and tough, but we got through them.

Other than putting in some bad gas (dad thought he had treated it last fall... turns out he didn't), we haven't had a problem. At one point we had the splitter at an angle and spit out a little hydraulic fluid through the relief bolt hole in the reservoir, but we quickly leveled it back out and the problem went away.

I got my log cradle installed and it is very solid and works great when do horizontal splitting. Looks exactly like yinpin's Black Diamond.

Noodle those big pieces....as it much easier to maneuver them and gives you a flat back to put against the beam.

4 feet across... , holy molie. I saw a guy on YouTube with large rounds and he was using a few branches, the thickness of the backplate, adjacent to the splitter. This elevation seemed to permit a level approach to the wedge while providing a needle-bearing like surface to rotate the round more easily.

Noodle those big pieces....as it much easier to maneuver them and gives you a flat back to put against the beam.
Yup, I'm quartering the big pieces. I can only do a couple a day they are so freaking big, even the quartered pieces are around 100 lbs each! Once I've quartered a couple, I put the splitter away for another day... then I come back and split horizontally. It takes some effort to get those 100 lbs pieces up on the cradle, but its much easier to work them horizontal!

We are about halfway done and its already yielded my dad about 2.5 cords. He's only really ever burned poplar, with the occasional birch mixed in. He lives on 10 acres of wooded property and only burns downed wood on his property. He's getting too worn to go out in the woods and cut wood, transport it to the pile, split and stack it. He's had a knee replacement, rotator cuff surgery and is starting to have nerve issues in his feet. I saw my friends oak tree as an opportunity to get a bunch of wood for dad, that will burn hotter and longer than he is used too.

5 cords of oak should last a good long time for him. He and my mom go to Florida every February now anyways, so their heating season is a little shorter than mine!

Reactions: Tar12