Covid-19 check in - How are you doing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Less contracting work, more home work, less travel. Son in North Carolina probably had corona symptoms. He thought he had MS. His symptoms have since subsided. A 27 yr old friend of his is still on a ventilator (about 10 days now). I have a friend with cancer that has lost 60lbs. I'm careful for him.

We're hanging in there. Both my wife and I are teachers (different districts) and both of our districts went virtual in part due to having large universities nearby. So, we're doing the best that we can with the virtual situation and wondering what things are going to look like the rest of the school year.

After our county having zero cases a few weeks back, the cases are on the rise again. Ten new cases reported in the news today for a total of 19. One town has 7, three towns have have three cases per town with another three towns have 1 case per town.

The colleges kids have been back with a bunch not following the school rules, the college towns are only reporting 1 per town, Canton and Potsdam NY .

We've been staying away from certain stores and doing some boating and working around the house more.

After our county having zero cases a few weeks back, the cases are on the rise again. Ten new cases reported in the news today for a total of 19. One town has 7, three towns have have three cases per town with another three towns have 1 case per town.

The colleges kids have been back with a bunch not following the school rules, the college towns are only reporting 1 per town, Canton and Potsdam NY .

We've been staying away from certain stores and doing some boating and working around the house more.
Let's all move to Antartica.

Reactions: thewoodlands

Seems like urban areas are starting to get things under control, but rural areas are seeing a rise in cases.

Yeah, the urban people are all moving out of the cities to rural areas and bringing their baggage.

The Maine CDC won't disclose what town infected folks live in for fear of reprisals against those infected individuals.

Reactions: JimBear
We have another four cases in our county today, from zero to 25 in a short amount of time.

We'll see what town they're in when they update the map, I'm wondering when our two college towns will explode with new cases.

I'm seeing enough gatherings where people aren't wearing face mask or social distancing that this small outbreak doesn't surprise me.

Let's all move to Antartica.
Seems to me, early on a couple picked a rural village to relocate (yukon type latitude, picked a spot on a map), chartered a plane, disembarked, and were immediately rounded up by the locals, quarantined and sent back.
Otherwise, on a local level here, no news is good news. Enough family working in health care and retirement facilitys, with no recent comments to raise alarm.

Less contracting work, more home work, less travel. Son in North Carolina probably had corona symptoms. He thought he had MS. His symptoms have since subsided. A 27 yr old friend of his is still on a ventilator (about 10 days now). I have a friend with cancer that has lost 60lbs. I'm careful for him.
Update: 27 yo male friend still on ventilator. Considering an ECMO machine. Have since identified cancerous tumors on a gland in the chest. This must be the reason covid was so serious. If he survives the covid he'll have the cancer to battle. Life can be a bit#%.

After 25 years I have walked away from EMS as a full time job. The stupidity and piss poor management with this Pandemic made the decision very easy. Still work Part Time now as a Flight Medic and pull a flat bed everyday. Love it, and it pays soooo much more.

Hoping this will be over with a vaccine in the next few months and life can go back to normal.

Reactions: JimBear
The tipping point for me was the State of Indiana sent out thousands of N95 masks that in the end were faulty. They offered very little protection and it was just luck most of us didn’t get sick. When it was brought to our managements attention they told us senior Medics to keep quiet and failed to tell anyone to protect themselves.

I walked away from my full time job at the end of a shift and didn’t look back.

Reactions: JimBear and fbelec
Cops raiding parties, kids being kids and testing positive because of it, Welcome to rush at fraternities and sororities across the USA

The tipping point for me was the State of Indiana sent out thousands of N95 masks that in the end were faulty. They offered very little protection and it was just luck most of us didn’t get sick. When it was brought to our managements attention they told us senior Medics to keep quiet and failed to tell anyone to protect themselves.

I walked away from my full time job at the end of a shift and didn’t look back.
Wow, that is crazy. I've heard hospitals are hard up right now, but that is unacceptable. My wife's company refused to provide adequate PPE so she asked to be furloughed. My doctor already wrote me a note explaining that my immune system is too weak for all this mess. My wife was a CNA and then a LPN going on 20 years now, so I can understand that while the choice was easy to decide on, it wasn't easy to walk away from your career. Seems that too much of the leadership in this country is prioritizing profit over lives.

Reactions: fbelec
Colleges in NYS have generally resumed on-campus teaching. And if we remember back to our own youthful experiences, we're probably not shocked that lack of social distancing is rampant. Yet I'm not that worried.

I've read the data from an Oregon State govt health organization that makes me think college aged youth may be the perfect group to begin the path to herd immunity. They are amazingly resilient as shown in the table attached, which records the 26700+ residents who have been identified with Covid.

Perhaps the practice of immediately sending Covid Students home is the worst idea. Lets let them quarantine at the campus and not bring it home to Mom & Dad.

1599317477849.png

Note: the attached pdf is page 6 of 36 of the "Oregon COVID-19 Weekly Report 9.2.2020", at

Wow, that is crazy. I've heard hospitals are hard up right now, but that is unacceptable. My wife's company refused to provide adequate PPE so she asked to be furloughed. My doctor already wrote me a note explaining that my immune system is too weak for all this mess. My wife was a CNA and then a LPN going on 20 years now, so I can understand that while the choice was easy to decide on, it wasn't easy to walk away from your career. Seems that too much of the leadership in this country is prioritizing profit over lives.

The one management position I’ve held in the past in EMS was short lived. I made decisions based on what was best for the employee. You know the old thought process of the employee is the hardest part of your company to obtain and retain. I was literally told that company and profits were more important.

“It’s your job to feed them the chit sandwich and tell them how much they like it”.

The SFC in me let loose and I was unemployed quickly.

This is soooo much more fun...

36E8D32B-375E-4256-90B9-B4D9FE2225CF.jpeg
2C28ABB1-C41E-4F79-8C06-1EA68EA29DAE.jpeg
8440CAE0-972A-4D2D-8A43-865A87E73E4B.jpeg
73AE7B7C-8138-48BC-8B6E-644B9D0A2B55.jpeg

Reactions: fbelec and SpaceBus
Not much currently happening with the pandemic around here.
Schools are starting in 10days, causing alot of anxiety for some teachers and families.
The city we live in has had 54deaths in total. Work is absolutely in abundance for home contracting, lumber especially p.t. is hard to find if at all available.
They smacked a 20-25% increase on it all.

They are keeping us prepared for a wave 2.....which I can understand......but we really never had much of a wave 1.
We all hope it stays away as well as the regular flu.

We all hope it stays away as well as the regular flu.
I have seen not so much as a sniffle in 4mo from any acquaintance here. 4yr olds who are normally sick from some kiddy thing going round , and their parents (nephew) who talk of catching pneumonia twice already from him (last year)- nope - and nope. I'm starting to like the idea of a whole lot less flu and other contiguous run of the mill crap going round. If anyone so much as sneezes - boink, outahere.

I have seen not so much as a sniffle in 4mo from any acquaintance here. 4yr olds who are normally sick from some kiddy thing going round , and their parents (nephew) who talk of catching pneumonia twice already from him (last year)- nope - and nope. I'm starting to like the idea of a whole lot less flu and other contiguous run of the mill crap going round. If anyone so much as sneezes - boink, outahere.
Yep, if flu gets going ,I'm sure that it will become a mess.
Australia is used as our flu season predictor and in general they have had a very minimal flu season. They are assuming there is a correlation with the fact many people are wearing masks and washing their hands more often than normal. And stating that the flu viruses are not overly powerful this season.....I hope that trend will continue here

Status
Not open for further replies.