CPR on Dead Person

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

qwee

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2013
Idaho
I was the 2nd on an accident scene this 5 am (on my way to work). I stopped to remove a front bumper in the road. There was already another person there. He said 2 car collision at high speeds. Anyone hurt (I was expecting the, "no one seriously hurt"). But he said there might be someone hurt in that car - he pointed. We went over to that car. We could hear crying.

The car was 30 feet into a corn field and upright (it had rolled). One migrant man was wimpering/crying half in shock. And the other was laying just outside the front door, face down, and bloody. What should we do? We turned him over and started chest compressions - but it appeared he was already dead. We traded places and I held the light. After what seemed like a long time (10 to 15 minutes) emergency personnel arrived and eventually took over. The EMT knew he was dead but went through the motions. I collected a screw in my tire from the debri and limped at 5 mph for 10 miles (my spare was bad too). What a morning. Still processing it.

• Sad
Reactions: begreen and Ashful
That’s horrible, I hope you’re doing alright. That’s a hell of a way to start the day off

That is a horrible way to start the day, and second the hope you are doing ok, as well.

Wow crazy, Good for you for stopping and then trying to save the person. You are a good person for sure!

One hell of a way to wake up. Whenever this happens to me, I grow more admiration for the EMT's and other folks who have to see this stuff everyday. Always shakes me up coming onto a bad accident scene, like that. Hope you're dealing with it okay.

I was the 2nd on an accident scene this 5 am (on my way to work). I stopped to remove a front bumper in the road. There was already another person there. He said 2 car collision at high speeds. Anyone hurt (I was expecting the, "no one seriously hurt"). But he said there might be someone hurt in that car - he pointed. We went over to that car. We could hear crying.

The car was 30 feet into a corn field and upright (it had rolled). One migrant man was wimpering/crying half in shock. And the other was laying just outside the front door, face down, and bloody. What should we do? We turned him over and started chest compressions - but it appeared he was already dead. We traded places and I held the light. After what seemed like a long time (10 to 15 minutes) emergency personnel arrived and eventually took over. The EMT knew he was dead but went through the motions. I collected a screw in my tire from the debri and limped at 5 mpg for 10 miles (my spare was bad too). What a morning. Still processing it.
That's some tough stuff all around.

The family got there before the police. There was one EMT and us 2 bystanders. The EMT had me hold the family back while he worked. They couldn't see their guy because he was 'dead' on the other side of the car. Corn stalks were blocking things, too. As soon as I raised my hands to stop them the ladies started crying/screaming loudly. A day later - I remember the guy's bare feet because he wasn't wearing shoes.

What a horrific experience. Take it easy on yourself and give it time to process. It's a tragic and humbling experience.
The family is lucky that a caring person stopped and offered assistance. I hope the fellow who lived recovers.

If someone is already dead you cannot hurt them dong high quality CPR. If you break all the ribs and they are still dead, no problem. If you break all the ribs and bring them back, their problem is broken ribs and they kinda owe you a steak dinner.

Do stop by your local red cross tomorrow and ask for a one way valve. Keep it in your vehicle. There is no good reason for you to accidently inhale someone else's blood by accident doing CPR with ventilations on a total stranger.

But look at what you did. You acknowledged, by your actions, that all men are created equal and have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. By your actions you demonstrated you are an American. There are 6 million and 4 videos on youtube already about what you have already done.

Good ride cowboy. Good ride.

Reactions: weee123