Crack in exhaust vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mskif

Nov 22, 2008
Hudson Valley NY
I had my gas boiler flue relined in a masonry chimney last month when my wood stove was installed. The liner is about 35 feet. There is now a crack in the exit. I can't remember what they used to seal the exit but what can I use to patch it up? Also, I use the gas steam heater to supplement the wood stove. Should I avoid using it until this is patched? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 156
If it were me I would use hi temp silicone to seal the crack then remove the elbow use a metal trim ring or wall flashing and fasten it to the red brick using masonry fasteners that will help support the pipe at the wall and maybe prevent future sagging, I would try to find one prefabricated use a brush and get all the loose flakes off the brick where the trim ring will touch run a bead of silicone behind the ring and around the outsides of the ring thats what I did here is a pic of mine through the basement wall and it works great..Dave

Attachments

• chimney-wall-flashing.jpg
    chimney-wall-flashing.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 154
Status
Not open for further replies.