Crack in glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
I've had my Pleasant Hearth 1800 up and running for about a month now, this was a new stove and never burned in until then. While cleaning the glass I noticed a crack about 1/8” long, it's pretty small but I'm sure it wasn't there before burning in it. My wife and I both ran our finger nails on both sides of it and cannot feel the crack, it must be inside the glass.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it dangerous or immediate cause for concern? I'm hoping it's a warranty issue and I'm getting ready to contact the manufacturer, but thought I'd check here for opinions or concerns first.

One picture is with a penny behind it for scale of the crack, the shadow from the crack shows up better than the crack itself. The other pick shows the location on the glass.

As always, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• CrackInDoor.JPG
    CrackInDoor.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 226
  • DoorWithCrack.JPG
    DoorWithCrack.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 221
That looks like an air bubble to me.

It may not ever turn into a problem, but I would get it replaced while it's under warranty.

jetsam, I was thinking crack because it's shape is crack like, pointed on both ends. But an air bubble makes sense, since it's internal, which means I probably really didn't look at it that close until I cleaned it.

Thanks!

Looks like an air bubble to me too.

Reactions: MoDoug
Just thought I'd follow up on this. I finally got ahold of my stove manufacturer about the air bubble in my door glass, GHP Group, and based on all previous interaction with them, I was ready to be on hold and not receive much help from them. However very much to my surprise, the customer service rep didn't even question my claim and said he would send me a new one with the gasket immediately. I mentioned the door gasket was also broken on the corner, and he sent one of those too. With no charge to me, and I got it all about 3 days later. I was very impressed this time.

Thank you for the help!

We just found a very similar bubble in one of our pyrex food storage dishes. My wife initially thought it was a crack. We will never put this item into the oven, so not an issue for us. I guess you have a spare door glass now!

Reactions: MoDoug