Crack in soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tjl147

Sep 30, 2016
Vermont
I have an older woodstock palladian. I noticed today there is a long (10" range) crack opposite the loading door. Makes sense since a log would bang there every time it is tossed in hard.

The crack does not penetrate the soapstone. I would estimate it at about 1/8 inch deep at its worst. The stone, I think, is inch thick.

I had a tube of fireplace mortar on hand so I applied that liberally.

What are folks thoughts on the safety of this. I was planning on replacing the stove soon, but that was before some other stuff broke. So I am really hoping to get through the winter.

That's double-thickness stone on that side, it should be OK. Could draw air in there though. You would see some flame coming from the crack on occasion, if that was the case.
If you like the stove, you are close to the factory and you might find out how much they would charge to rebuild it. I think it's around $1000, then you would have a virtually new stove.

As in double wall stone right? The stone you see on the inside is a different rock slab than on the outside.

Reactions: Woody Stover
As in double wall stone right? The stone you see on the inside is a different rock slab than on the outside.
Right, that's how I shoulda worded it.. :confused: