15+ old soapstone: overfired?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vap0rtranz

Feb 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Went by to check out a 15+ year old soapstone stove, so what should I double check?

• It's a Woodstock Fireview 205.
  • Age is estimate b/c the serial plate is hard to read now and it's 2nd homeowner but the original owner left behind a VHS tape from Woodstock Co.! :D Mid to late 1990s?
  • There is one soapstone cracked in the back facing. Woodstock lists this as part# W-15, worth $28, and says these stoves are double-line stone so maybe that's possible to repair/replace?
  • There is some rust on the cast iron frame even though the stove is sitting in a den, so maybe high indoor humidity caused slight rusting? Heavy duty wire brush this or re-paint it?
  • The combuster top / cover for catalyst looks to be damaged -- there is was a 1-inch area that has collasped. I didn't get to the cat itself but I'd assume both need replacing, so that'd be about $200.
  • Damper control works. Glass is relatively clear (slight haze but not cracked or black). Doors easily swing open / shut.
  • Its current owner has another fireplace and wants this stove gone because they're remodelling the den, and only fired it a few times since moving in.
  • The thing was remarkable clean, even in the firebox, and the flu ... but the current owner's use & care gives me no clue as to how the previous owner used it.
What worries me: there was no thermometer, neither on the stove top or the stove pipe.
So how would I tell if the stove was overfired? the broken soapstone a sign?

Last edited:
Are they giving it away? It might be fine if there is no sign of warped components.

Are they giving it away? It might be fine if there is no sign of warped components.
I think he's saying that the combustor scoop is warped 1". Same as my SIL's used Fireview was..it had the original cast iron scoop, not the newer stainless scoop. I replaced that, but you wouldn't have to. Not sure what the damage he's describing consists of..??
Look at the bypass door frame where the flame exits the box when the bypass door is open. If that's warped, severe over-firing has been administered to the stove.
What cat is in it? Ceramic would indicate it hasn't been replaced in quite a few years..may well be due for a new one. You're talking $150-180, ceramic or steel are available. You'll need a new one every few years.
Have you got any pics? How much do they want for it?
It's an awesome stove, and might be a great get depending on the price, what the layout and sq.ft. of the house is, insulation and air-sealing and all that jazz... We need details, man! ;)

Are they giving it away?

Hah! Don't we wish. Woodstock brand still carries some weight ... and literally, the weight of the thing. So no, it's for sale @ $1,200 OBO.

Look at the bypass door frame where the flame exits the box when the bypass door is open

I'll check. Elsewhere I didn't see any signs of warping.

Have you got any pics?

My phone's camera sucks but yes.

cat-cover.pngside-load.pngIMG_20200311_130813_2.jpg

That's a bit pricey for a 15yr old stove that needs work. Remember back then they sold for what $1600? Offer $800.

Reactions: webby3650 and Tar12
That's a bit pricey for a 15yr old stove that needs work. Remember back then they sold for what $1600? Offer $800.
Yeah, if it's in decent shape, maybe give 'em 1K$. That rust is nothing to worry about.

OK. After checking other posts on here too, it does indeed sound on the high side.

I have to factor in convenience at premium too ... this stove is just a few towns away versus others being a good 2+hrs just to look at.

Not a real common find in Wi. I imagine? I've found very few Woodstock stoves here in Ia. Woodstock does have a rebuild program in house. Not sure if it will still be able to service earlier models due to the new EPA reg's? Worth checking on.

Not a real common find in Wi. I imagine?

Yup. For Woodstock to deliver here is freight at around $500 last time I checked, unless I wait for one of their "free shipping" deals.

For all their cons, local dealers used here (Blaze King, Vermont Castings, etc.) take most* of the shipping factor out of the money equation. So we're a bit more limited in which stoves are sitting around to grab.

* "most" b/c I'm sure the cost is factored into sale price but at a lower bulk shipping rate instead of expensive individual delivery rate.

Appears the rust may be due to condensation of warm, humid air in the stove during the summer. I cap the top of the liner when I'm done burning for the season.

My better/smarter half approved getting the stove :) IF and only if :rolleyes: we bought for $1k or less.

So we are now owners of this heavy baby!

The guy threw in a Vogelzang Heat Reclaimer ... evidently worth $150 when new but this one looks 15+ years old too -- though Vogelzang hasn't changed the design at all, that I can tell. https://www.northlineexpress.com/vogelzang-6-stovepipe-heat-reclaimer-hr-6-9277.html

I called Woodstock for suggestions on hauling and they said appliance dolly, pallet, and racket tie downs, etc. but you all may a 2nd thread on how the heck folks move these beats. ... I'm surprised Woodstock didn't recommend removing the top skillet (40lbs), side door (probably 15lbs), firebricks, etc. to make the beast lighter?

>>
The guy threw in a Vogelzang Heat Reclaimer
Turn around and throw it again. ;lol I have a new theory about the rust; Guy burned marginally dry wood, heat wasn't great so he got the stack robber. Stack robber sucked the heat out of the flue gasses, creo condensed and ran back down to the elbow. The upside is, the stove probably wasn't overfired..not much heat was created. ;lol
I called Woodstock for suggestions on hauling and they said appliance dolly, pallet, and racket tie downs, etc. but you all may a 2nd thread on how the heck folks move these beats. ... I'm surprised Woodstock didn't recommend removing the top skillet (40lbs), side door (probably 15lbs), firebricks, etc. to make the beast lighter?
Somehow, my nephew and I lifted it off the pallet and set it on the floor. Still not sure how we were able to do that. _g
If you squat, then lean into the stove with your chest and rest your forearms on your thighs, you can lever it off the floor a few inches by using your calves to raise up onto the balls of your feet. Just a technique to keep in mind..
For sure, remove the lid, door and bricks. It probably has the old cast iron cat housing and cat scoop. You can lift out the cat/housing assembly as one piece, or they may still have the shipping bolts in the housing. Then there's one bolt holding in the cat scoop inside the box, I think.
I have a low 5x8' trailer so when we got it home, it was easy to ramp it down with the two-wheel dolly, with a couple other guys to steady it and then lift it up the couple of stairs into the house. Or if you have a truck, back it up to a slope to reduce the angle.
Another good way to move it into position once it's in the house, is with a furniture floor dolly. Jack each side up, alternating, and put 2x4s under the feet until it's high enough to slip the dolly under. Then let it back down onto the dolly and you can roll it close to where it needs to go. Be careful where you are jacking, though..don't wanna break anything. And try not to slam the stove around or jar it when you are moving it. The gentler, the better.
Or you can lift the sides with a 2x4 lever, using a chunk of 6x6 or something as a fulcrum. Careful...
Put plywood, cardboard or whatever you have, to make sure the hard plastic wheels on this particular dolly don't mar or dent the flooring.
Use the forum search (magnifying glass above) to get more ideas for moving the stove.
1584160222389.png

Jack each side up, alternating, and put 2x4s under the feet until it's high enough to slip the dolly under. Then let it back down onto the dolly and you can roll it close to where it needs to go.

Ah, OK. I found a video of a guy doing just that to get his stove on one of the furniture rollers that's in the pic you attached. Ty for these bits of info!

P.S. sorry for typos.

With a bit of wire brushing + paint on the metal and steel wool on the stones, the exterior can be made to look like new. Several years ago a fellow here fixed up a Fireview. He brush painted it and I was surprised at how nicely it turned out.