Craftsman 358.351580 Chainsaw Carburetor Leaks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lindylex

Jun 29, 2020
Earth
I have tried two new carburetors and one rebuilt carburetor with a carb kit on this chainsaw. Once I place fuel in it and press the primer bulb the machine leaks fuel from the carburetor.

I am not sure why this is happening.

It feels like the fuel has to much pressure when leaving the tank.

Last edited:
A primer is just that. It prims the carb. If fuel is leaking then you
have pushed too much fuel into the carb so it leaks out.
Using the primer too much is a great way to flood an engine!

No need to use the primer if you have a choke...

Reactions: johneh
A primer is just that. It prims the carb. If fuel is leaking then you
have pushed too much fuel into the carb so it leaks out.
Using the primer too much is a great way to flood an engine!
True I tried again and only pushed once and it did not flood the carburetor. I also tried without pushing it at all and the fuel starts to flow with only using the choke.

I can get it to run if I place a 1/2 teaspoon of fuel in the chamber where the spark plug sits with lots of pulling and playing with the choke. If I add fuel to the tank after I get it to run for a little it just floods the engine and fuel comes out of the exhaust.

Find the pickup for the primer in the tank and plug it.
I had a poulan like that.Started fine on choke after i plugged the primer.
Traded it off for a cord of wood to a wood cutter.