Craftsman saw questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be screaming to. This is ridiculous. They have that Carb. It should be on there. I agree ur a small customer but a new one. They have no idea if u would of bought a larger saw a blower, weed eater, etc.?? Personally without communication and a reasonable excuse I would not go back.

I will look closer at this when I get a chance. I understand what you are saying on the slots being behind the plate, I will look closer at the holes and make sure they are free of debris. I have it in my car,now and might be able to get it blown out with the compressor at work.

Does your saw have the black plastic port with two slots in it? What is that part? (just want to know for personal knowledge)

Ill be contacting them at noon today, for answers. I figure that way if it is done, it will have a chance to get to the dealer before I get ticked off or something. I don't want to get a bad rep, or be "that guy" but 12 days seems like a lot.

Thanks for the insight. I will take a picture of the plastic insert on the saw. I was just thinking this is where the oil comes out but i am most likely wrong. I will try and get the clutch off, and get a better look at it. Gotta cut the grass tonight and with the rider down, it may be a little while. At least my wife will be at her mothers so if I hurry and cut the grass I can get some tinkering time in before she gets home with the baby.

I am trying to be understanding with the dealer, and maybe I am expecting too much from them. I had just thought that since I bought the saw 4-5 days before bringing it back they would have looked at it ahead of the other repairs that they had in the shop. I gave it to them on Thursday the 15th at noon. I would have anticipated they look at it that day, and order the parts on Friday as to have them in during the week. I would have expected them to have the saw fixed by this past weekend, being that is when most guys cut their wood. At least that is how I would fix a mistake if a customer had an issue with one of my fly orders or something. I want to keep their business and know that unhappy customers don't come back. These "issues" get moved ahead of the other orders. I am not sure on how long STIHL takes to get parts to their dealers, but I hope that they get the saw done at least by Thursday, a whole 2 weeks after turning it over to them. I am thinking, I should have just asked for a new saw or something like that.

Would you guys have waited this long, I could have probably ordered a new carb from ebay, last Monday, and had it on the saw already, but didn't want to void any warranty or anything like that. Would I be in the wrong to email the salesman and tell him that if it is not done by Wednesday I want a new saw.

Does PA have a Consumer Sales Practices Act? If so, I would physically go to the dealer and educate him if so. It has been too long. They should just give you a brand new saw and do their carb diagnosing on Stihl's watch.

Does PA have a Consumer Sales Practices Act? If so, I would physically go to the dealer and educate him if so. It has been too long. They should just give you a brand new saw and do their carb diagnosing on Stihl's watch.

I really don't think it's time yet to escalate to that level... but to answer your question, yes:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/consumers.aspx

Would I be in the wrong to ask to just have the saw, and the new carb and put it in myself. I am seeing my saw sitting on their shelf, with the new carb right beside it. If they ordered the carb last Tuesday, it should have gotten there by Friday or Saturday at the latest.

Once you touch it, if something doesn't work right, it's on you.

You seem to be on friendly terms with someone there. Have you told them you really need this saw ASAP? Maybe just a daily call to check on it would be enough to prod them along.

Yes you really need to call every few days so they know its just not a sit in the garage to cut up a limb saw, that you bought it to work it.

After all its a 15 minute fix, i mean i bet there is enough standing around in a day to fix your saw easy. Heck they can fix it while they talk!

I have been on friendly terms with the salesman and even gave him some of my custom flies to try and stay cool. I just really need the saw. Labor day weekend is coming up and I am sure I will not have much time to cut. I wanted to needed to have it yesterday to get a few more loads in before the weekend. I have a few more standing dead that I wanted to get cut to have them dry out a bit more before I lose the warmer temps, and sunshine. My last contact with him was on Friday. And I expressed my conscerns about not having it.

I cant see how this should be put on me. It was a factory defective carb hands down, the work is being done as warranty work. I don't want to threaten them with going somewhere else, as it may ruin my luck with them if I need a repair done at a later date. I just cant afford to wait 2 weeks if something does go wrong, since I do not have a legitimate back up saw at the moment. I am going to email him in a few minutes to get a status update, and see if I can just get a different saw. It is imperative i get a few more loads cut this week before the holiday weekend.

With all the dealer service hooplah stihl spews, I'd be calling them out on it....... Home Depot could have a new carb put on by now.

Reactions: Ashful
I had a vision in mind of having this dealer within 2 miles of my work place and being able to count on them for quick service. I think this is why I am most disappointed. I understand the fact that I did buy a lower end saw and not a pro saw for now, but I had plans of buying a pro saw or farm/ranch saw off of them within the next year or 2. I now feel I can't trust them to get me my stuff back in a timely manner, and not sure I want to spend more money through their business. I agree with the service hooplah as well. When I bought the saw I had specifically asked if I can expect my saw back quickly if I have an issue, and could count on them to get it done quickly.

I had thought about contacting the Sales Rep for my area to find out the dealers with the best service record. I now see that convenience should not always drive the sale. I just expected with the "certified stihl dealer" banner out front they could diagnose issues and have them finished in a very timely fashion. I may visit one of the other dealers that a few members on this site as well as other have suggested in my area for any future issues/sales.

There are great dealers and there are terrible dealers. Hell, there about 8 within 20 miles of my house. They all fight for business and stihl protects none of them.

I drive 30 miles round trip to buy chains from the amish stihl dealer, even though there is a dealer 2 miles from my house.

Sorry to hear of your continuing troubles....... certainly not what you expected when you went to a "certified stihl dealer".

I am not sure if it was on here or on another forum but a member had told me the contacted the sales rep for their area and got a list of dealers with a ranking next to each. I may try and contact stihl for a list. I would rather drive a half hour to get my saw back in a more timely fashion than 2 weeks. I imagine this is just a single business issue and not to be expected with all stihl dealers. Then again it is crunch time of firewood season.

You live and learn in the firewood/chainsaw area. When I first started, I bought a 210 from the dealer close to my house, because I knew nothing about saw repair. I had some issues and quickly learned I needed to be able to do my own repairs. So I spent hours and hours learning and studying (no previous mechanical inclination at all). The fruits of those efforts were I no longer need a dealer. I switched to Husky pro saws because they are cheaper used and you can buy parts online. There is a Husky dealer in town, but I've never been there.

I was under the assumption that if you did the work yourself it would void the warranty. I may just take it to them to help diagnose the issue or just post issues on here from now on, and try to work on them myself.

you may void the warrenty, but you only have 1 year or 2 i think if you buy the special oil. After that period i think is what he is talking about when he says able to work on your saw.

You bought a new saw, part of that high price is that they SHOULD be there to work on and fix your saw in i think a timely manner. If it was my dealer you would of got pushed ahead of some customers based on some ranking i decided but because you just bought it i would try to have you done that day or next day, certainly in 2 days after a part arrived. Talk to the owner, he probably dosent even know of the issue and just politely express your concerns with the time to him. If he blows you off and is unapolojetic and trys to not remedy the issue, new dealer time!!!

Here's the scoop. I guess they had to have a minimum parts order that they had to place through STIHL. They just ordered the parts today. I am lost as to how they can not order just 1 part at a time if necessary. I tried to be civil, and asked the saleman to come out side to speak with me as to not inhibit any future sales, dumb but that is just how I am.

He had told me that he was under the impression that they ordered the parts last week, as was I, but still feel like I am getting the shaft on this one. I told him I needed the saw by Friday. I asked him to call the other dealership to verify when the parts would be in. I told him that I would settle for them swapping the carb from another 230 at this time, or a totally new saw. I had contemplated bumping up to a farm boss if given the chance for a swap, but do not really have the money to spend right now.

Never had to deal with the whole parts issue/minimum order garbage before. Glad I found this site to learn how to fix these myself. Not sure that the warranty is all that great of a thing anyway.

Here's the scoop. I guess they had to have a minimum parts order that they had to place through STIHL. They just ordered the parts today. I am lost as to how they can not order just 1 part at a time if necessary. I tried to be civil, and asked the saleman to come out side to speak with me as to not inhibit any future sales, dumb but that is just how I am.

He had told me that he was under the impression that they ordered the parts last week, as was I, but still feel like I am getting the shaft on this one. I told him I needed the saw by Friday. I asked him to call the other dealership to verify when the parts would be in. I told him that I would settle for them swapping the carb from another 230 at this time, or a totally new saw. I had contemplated bumping up to a farm boss if given the chance for a swap, but do not really have the money to spend right now.

Never had to deal with the whole parts issue/minimum order garbage before. Glad I found this site to learn how to fix these myself. Not sure that the warranty is all that great of a thing anyway.

THATS BS thats some put off answer. STIHL im sure does not require a minimum order?? Its a warrenty deal???

When you take your new truck in do they tell you they cant get the part till they have a minimum??

I am not positive but i really dont see this to be the case? It costs $14 to send a ups or fedex box that would take 2-3 days, why would they require a dealer to wait that long to get parts and that must be an awfull lot of parts for it to take a dealer over a week to hit that threshold!!!

sent the president a nice long email about how I am unhappy with the fact that it took until today to get my parts ordered and that my saw sat there for a week. I doubt I will be going back to this dealership, pending what their president does to fix this. I requested a new saw but was told that they have to fix my other one first. NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH THIS

Does your saw have the black plastic port with two slots in it? What is that part? (just want to know for personal knowledge)

Which part number (see below)?

P0206111-00001.png

not seeing it. Will try and get a picture of what I am talking about tonight.

kind of tough to see in the picture. because I cant get the clutch off. I circled it in red. There is a rubber hose/line that comes from the bottom of the saw and gos to this piece with the two slots.

Attachments

• craftsman.jpg
    craftsman.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 179
here is the picture of the line/hose

Attachments

• craftsman2.jpg
    craftsman2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 132
looking at the video posted of how to remove the oiler, I can see that plastic piece is just a part of the oiler. I will buy the tool to remove the clutch and then be able to clean out the holes better, as well as relplace the oiler or gear if necessary. Thanks for the tips. I don't think I am good enough to make the tool as described above ;sick

The tool above is a bracket bout at Lowes with 2 bolts threaded into drilled holes, that are drilled on a measured distance???

Status
Not open for further replies.