redyute Posted By redyute, Mar 15, 2019 at 6:42 PM

1. redyute

redyute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2015
    Loc:
    southern maryland
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dataman

Dataman
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Newport, Wa
    Looks like Cottonwood. Nasty stuff if it is

3. Dataman

Dataman
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Newport, Wa
    Cottonwood is one of the poorest wood fuels; it does not dry well, and rots quickly. It splits poorly, because it is very fibrous. It produces a low level of energy per unit of volume of wood.[7]

4. Dataman

Dataman
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Sep 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Newport, Wa
    More I look at the pics and research I seriously doubt it's BL. Really looks like CW and you should get paid to come get that.

The species has a fairly limited range, growing in just a handful of states through the Appalachian Mountains and into Missouri and Arkansas

https://www.hobbyfarms.com/the-best-and-worst-trees-for-firewood/

5. woodhounder

woodhounder
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2019
    Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Looks like Honey Locust. You can tell by the orange color in the broken limb, and the bark looks like it too. Good firewood.

6. Dima1973

Dima1973
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 12, 2017
    Loc:
    Philadelphia, pa
    Looks like locust. Here is my 2 year old split 20190315_201058.jpg

JimBear likes this.
  7. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    That's black locust go get it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    webby3650 and JimBear like this.
  8. TreePointer

TreePointer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 22, 2010
    Loc:
    PA
  9. redyute

redyute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2015
    Loc:
    southern maryland
    Thank you fellas i'll be on my way up there shortly

10. Eureka

Eureka
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 4, 2018
    Loc:
    NW Wisconsin
    Even the limb wood is good on locust if it isn’t punky. High BTUs throughout

11. redyute

redyute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2015
    Loc:
    southern maryland
    Just coming back from my other craiglist score, its oak not sure what type but good old oak. Only 25 minutes from the house so yeah i'm happy with that cl 1.jpg cl 2.jpg

Jan Pijpelink, kvesi122 and ErikR like this.
  12. redyute

redyute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2015
    Loc:
    southern maryland
    Operation locust bound 20190316_122350.jpg

13. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    Yep Locust. Cottonwood not native to this area. Only here if someone planted it. I lived in that area for a few years. Go for it.

14. redyute

redyute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2015
    Loc:
    southern maryland
    Just got back yall didn't tell me cutting locust was like cutting steel with the saw, sparks flying and all. Had to get my brand new chain i was saving for wet days lmao. 20190316_171619.jpg 20190316_171645.jpg 20190316_151924.jpg
    There are about 4 more dead standing ones in dude's back yard that he said i can come cut them if i wasted to.

Jan Pijpelink, TreePointer and Eureka like this.
  15. Sawset

Sawset
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2015
    Loc:
    Palmyra, WI
    70 years old, 1928. Old wood. I've never seen a dead black locust before - they seem almost impossible to kill. When they're cut off they'll send sprouts everywhere.

16. Locust99

Locust99
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 11, 2017
    Loc:
    Upstate, New York
    That is definitely Black Locust, good score. I have a huge dead Black Locust in my back yard that needs to come down. Unfortunately this one needs a climber or boom truck to take her down safely. If you can fell those trees safely you might as well get them, that’s some of the best wood you can get. Extremely rot resistant, high btus and it dries faster than oak! Sparks can fly though cutting it, it’s funny to watch cutting it at dusk.

17. redyute

redyute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2015
    Loc:
    southern maryland
    Yeah i plan on going back next Sunday to get those two, should be able to drop them with no problem

18. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    Yea, it'll wear the chain a little. Especially if it's been standing dead. With the house nearby I might pass on those ones.

19. redyute

redyute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2015
    Loc:
    southern maryland
    Thats just 2 of the four dead ones

20. Tar12

Tar12
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 9, 2016
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Cant tell for sure but it looks like both are leaning away from the house...they would come home with me!

21. redyute

redyute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2015
    Loc:
    southern maryland
    They are leaning away and that's a shed in the picture. I plan on emptying the trailer by before the end of the week so i can head back over there next weekend to get those. Started splitting some to, that's some tough wood.

Tar12 likes this.
  22. Tar12

Tar12
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 9, 2016
    Loc:
    Indiana
    If I had a steady supply of it thats all I would burn....I really like it! Even seasoned it is hard to start from a cold stove but once it does its a beautiful thing! I just always loaded on a good coal bed...no worries.

23. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    Its toughness is what makes it such good firewood, ask these guys who cut and split hedge.

24. redyute

redyute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2015
    Loc:
    southern maryland
    So i just got a call from a co worker of mine who just had a locust cut down asking if i wanted the wood, the firewood gods are being nice to me lmao

25. redyute

redyute
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2015
    Loc:
    southern maryland
    Just getting back from another craigslist run. Ash and elm css year and a half but wasnt covered. He said make an off so i said $40 he said yes. Hour drive lol 20190324_184429.jpg 20190324_184416.jpg
    So this elm look like poplar until i picked up a piece and felt how heavy and dense it is compared to poplar.