Craigslist Lopi + Brand New "DuraVent Masonry Liner" - Safety and Efficiency PLEASE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ToastyMarshmellows

Oct 6, 2016
Kirkland, WA
Hey Folks, My first post here on "hearth.com". I've read quite a few posts here and really love the site.

To the point, I'm really trying to determine two things:
1) How to make sure I'm safe (being that I've installed everything myself).
2) How to retain heat efficiently (while burning and while not burning).​

Here is my complete setup from "a" to "z".
- Lopi X/96 (purchased on cragslist)
- DuraVent Flexible Chimney Liner 20ft from stove to cap.

When I installed the pipe, I simply pulled it straight through my chimney, through the flue (which my brother and I previously cut out using metal grinder) and slid it straight into stove top.

Please see the attached pictures and let me know if you have any suggestions:

Piping screwed too couplar piece, but coupler piece loosely inserted into stove top.
Also, roxull (for fireplace) inserted above to plug open cavity (chimney):

Used Metal Snips to better form cap but no adhesive bonding it to terracotta chimney liner.
Also, the 6in. flexible piping has the top cap tightly fastened w/ a ring tightner, but the pipe itself is loose to flex from heating and cooling from the metal flashing / chimney cap itself.

To be more safe and efficient, I assume I should:
1) use some form of caulk / adhesive to seal metal flashing to terrecotta chimney..
2) metal flashing above the stove itself to hold in the roxull? Should I even be using roxull?
Also, the roxull is directly against the pipe only 1' to 2' feet above the stove.. not sure if this is safe :)
3) Is pipe ok to sit loosely to the stove itself? No smoke is coming out (visual to eye or smell)
4) When I install the flexible 6in. diameter x 20ft long piping I just crammed it in (mostly compressed).
Should I have stretched it out first? Do I need to worry about creosote build up? The inside of the piping is ridged as it's flexible and not double lined.
5) Any other suggestions / tips are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks Everyone up front..

Welcome TM, the pics didn't make it, can you repost them? Yes, use a thick bead of a good quality silicone adhesive between the terra cotta chimney tile and the top plate. Did you insulate the liner?

Attempting to re-post pictures:

1) I have liquid nail, but says only good to 90 degrees.. I'll have to find some better adhesive I assume.
2) I did not insulate the liner itself. It's a thin flexible piping just floating inside the terrecotta chimney.

IMG_1465.JPG IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1468.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Use GE Silicone II for the top cap.

Yes sir. Ordering some now.

You mentioned insulating the pipe.. Being that I live in WA, think I even need to worry about this?

Also, major points I have fear(s) about:

1) pipe just slips into stove with an 1/8th to a 1/16th in gap around the diameter. This ok? The weight of the pipe coming down definitely isn't going anywhere.

2) Roxull touching pipe. Is this ok? Should I put up some form of heat shield metal flashing between the stove and roxull? Should I remove the roxull?

Thanks so much begreen !

From a safety standpoint and code the liner needs to be insulated if the chimney is not 2" away from touching any combustible if interior and 1" away if exterior. Functionally the flue will draft better and stay cleaner if insulated. Better draft is nice here because we have a lot more mild weather burning in Western WA. Milder temps = weaker draft. There is no problem with Roxul touching the liner. A thin gap is ok around the pipe entry to the flue collar. If it is too large some stove glass gasket can be pushed into the gap.

New question regarding Lopi x96 replacement front fan. Any suggestions on where I could pick one up for decent price?
I don't have the front mesh cover either, so will need to full assembly.

I've attached a picture of what I'm looking for:
upload_2017-2-6_10-40-9.png