Craigslist score that actually worked out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Our logging companies tranport wood that far exceed the capacity and distance this guy is doing with his 1/2 ton pickup.
Yes and that has been shown to greatly increase the spread of these invasive species which is why it was limited in PA.

You ARE paying .50 a mile, like it or not. Gas, tires, tune ups. You are gonna pay it sooner or later.

Sorry that y'all are stuck burning this poor grade wood, but if you drove into my driveway with a load of poplar and pine, I wouldn't buy it, but I would pay you $5 to leave, and dump that wood somewhere else.

You ARE paying .50 a mile, like it or not. Gas, tires, tune ups. You are gonna pay it sooner or later.

Sorry that y'all are stuck burning this poor grade wood, but if you drove into my driveway with a load of poplar and pine, I wouldn't buy it, but I would pay you $5 to leave, and dump that wood somewhere else.
Pine isn't that bad really. I will cut and process it if it's in my way. Poplar really has to be in my way for me to bother with it for firewood.

Yes and that has been shown to greatly increase the spread of these invasive species which is why it was limited in PA.

PA is five times larger than our state. If a disease is going to spread here it doesn’t need our help to be successful. OP driving 50 minuets is probably only about 30-35 miles. If we limited the transport of wood any less than that I’d think we’d have a hard time keeping logging companies in business here the the state of NH unless they start processing/sterilization on site. Which is capital no wants to invest in.

PA is five times larger than our state. If a disease is going to spread here it doesn’t need our help to be successful. OP driving 50 minuets is probably only about 30-35 miles. If we limited the transport of wood any less than that I’d think we’d have a hard time keeping logging companies in business here the the state of NH unless they start processing/sterilization on site. Which is capital no wants to invest in.
PA loggers dealt with it just fine when they were not allowed to transport over county lines. Yes it reduced their profit margins. But if we loose most of our timber to invasive species that will hurt the industry way worse

No you’re not paying 50 cents per mile. The irs uses that rate as a high average mileage reimbursement rate for employees that could be driving leased bmw luxury cars. It is not equivalent or applicable to a guy driving a little used Toyota pickup to get wood. He’s on the other side of the average. Stop spewing false numbers unless you can back them up.

Cost per mile for a pickup that you already own, already insure, just sitting there waiting for you.

Oh and lots of people live in places with no choice but to burn only pine or only cottonwood/poplar. They stay warm just fine. If you have better woods available then take them but if the cost per Btu for pine is lower then it’s not unreasonable to burn.

Two weeks ago I answered an ad for free wood only to come across a pile of five rotten logs. [/ATTACH]

Hope you learned your lesson, always have them send you a picture of the wood before actually heading out there.

Also, if you are going to be transporting your own wood you should look into grabbing a utility trailer, they are very cheap and will more than double the amount of wood you can move.

Reactions: coutufr
I've driven an hour each way lots of times for wood of similar quality, but, I can haul a whole lot more in my f350 with cab high sideboards. I've seen some heavily loaded toyotas, is there a way you can load more per trip?

50 cents a per mile is silly. That's almost the IRS rate.

I need to make some for my truck. 4,600 lbs is a lot of wood, or whatever really I guess.

If I didn’t have pine and other lower BTU wood, I’d hardly use my Kozy Heat fireplace for supplemental heat. Oak and the like will run us out of the house or have me opening windows after a few hours if it isn’t -15f. I value it for its quick, predictable heat output.

Oh, and here logging trucks are traveling 50-150 miles or more to the mill. I see trying to prevent the spread of invasives, but it’s just the way it is.

If I didn’t have pine and other lower BTU wood, I’d hardly use my Kozy Heat fireplace for supplemental heat. Oak and the like will run us out of the house or have me opening windows after a few hours if it isn’t -15f. I value it for its quick, predictable heat output.

Oh, and here logging trucks are traveling 50-150 miles or more to the mill. I see trying to prevent the spread of invasives, but it’s just the way it is.
If it is just the way it is we might as well give up we won't have any native forests left.

If it is just the way it is we might as well give up we won't have any native forests left.
No I just meant that there isn’t a mill any closer than that. I see value in doing what we can.

Reactions: bholler
Wow, I had no idea what a stir an innocent post about some firewood i picked up would make. For the record, the trip was 50 minutes, not miles. I wasn't driving 60 in a straight line, more like 40 miles per hour through winding roads (We have lots of hills and mountains in NH). So, in total, just under 30 miles, so I don't think any weirdo bugs or anything hitched a ride. Also, as it turns out, while there was plenty of pine and poplar, of which I took some, there was also lots of hardwood, and I brought that back, too.

All told, this thread makes me reconsider using this site. Unless you're an Eagle Scout or hold a degree in Forestry I guess you'd better think twice about placing your firewood stuff o here it seems.
20190801_151749.jpg

Wow, I had no idea what a stir an innocent post about some firewood i picked up would make. For the record, the trip was 50 minutes, not miles. I wasn't driving 60 in a straight line, more like 40 miles per hour through winding roads (We have lots of hills and mountains in NH). So, in total, just under 30 miles, so I don't think any weirdo bugs or anything hitched a ride. Also, as it turns out, while there was plenty of pine and poplar, of which I took some, there was also lots of hardwood, and I brought that back, too.

All told, this thread makes me reconsider using this site. Unless you're an Eagle Scout or hold a degree in Forestry I guess you'd better think twice about placing your firewood stuff o here it seems.View attachment 246083

Why would it make you reconsider using the site? I simply mentioned transporting untreated wood over long distances is irresponsible. You cleared up your case and as long as you aren't crossing quarentine lines at that distance it is probably fine. No one was rude I just feel it is the responsible thing to let people know about the potential problems which surprisingly few wood burners know about. If that offended you I am sorry that was not the intent.

Reactions: kvesi122

A very scenic 30-35 miles (as the bug flies), if that.

Why would it make you reconsider using the site? I simply mentioned transporting untreated wood over long distances is irresponsible. You cleared up your case and as long as you aren't crossing quarentine lines at that distance it is probably fine. No one was rude I just feel it is the responsible thing to let people know about the potential problems which surprisingly few wood burners know about. If that offended you I am sorry that was not the intent.

Bullshit. You trolled this thread 7 times. Once was enough.

A very scenic 30-35 miles (as the bug flies), if that.

Bullshit. You trolled this thread 7 times. Once was enough.
I am sorry i made one comment and then responded to others posts. That is not trolling it is having a conversation about a very serious issue that affects all of us.

I personally try to get firewood from around my house because it is more economical that way. I wouldn’t move ash from my neighborhood to other regions even if I am legally authorized to do so. For other wood species there is no transportation limitations here as far as I know. Maybe there is a bug not identified yet that I could introduce to another region but most people are not preoccupied by bugs that may or may not exist, they have to obey the laws and follow the expert’s advice. In my region, the only problematic wood to transport is ash. What is the law regulating firewood transportation in your region?

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
As a public school teacher I have summers free, but not a ton of extra cash. I have plenty of woods, but not a great chainsaw, or any help with felling trees, and it's on a significant slope. So if someone has free bucked wood and all it costs is 10 bucks in gas to get there and back, I load up because there's always room to stack wood of any variety so as to keep my family warm from October to May. I also sell bundles of pine to people going to a nearby campground, so never a bad idea to stock up for next year.

I'm not trying to be defensive, but I was caught off guard by the scoldings I received.

Thanks to those of you who show reason.

I always wondered who are the types who are selling bundles of firewood to campers.

Cool! Quite industrious of you.

I personally try to get firewood from around my house because it is more economical that way. I wouldn’t move ash from my neighborhood to other regions even if I am legally authorized to do so. For other wood species there is no transportation limitations here as far as I know. Maybe there is a bug not identified yet that I could introduce to another region but most people are not preoccupied by bugs that may or may not exist, they have to obey the laws and follow the expert’s advice. In my region, the only problematic wood to transport is ash. What is the law regulating firewood transportation in your region?

Because it is so small, NH just has an out of state quarantine. The state advises to get wood as locally as possible, but there are no regional restrictions. I believe they also make exceptions for border communities such as mine as our woods connect with Maine's.

I always wondered who are the types who are selling bundles of firewood to campers.

Cool! Quite industrious of you.

There's more than a few of us around here as it's camp-out-o-rama in this area. Mostly people from Mass coming up.

I filled up my trailer today 5 x 8 feet with a ceiling close to 6 feet) with poplar logs (bucked but unsplit) that were kept under a concrete deck for at least 3 to 5 years . Some logs are a bit rotten but I tested the humidity level of a couple of them and most are in the 16 to 20% range. The more humid ones I will split and burn them next year. I tried burning one log tonight (a big one) and the flame is a beautiful orange / yellow color. Very tall hypnotic flames! Less heat is produced than ash or maple but the temperature outside is not very cold. I should be good until Christmas before I need to use the wood I planned for this winter. I had to help a friend transport furniture and to make my trip worth it I found this guy on kijiji giving away this wood. No picture and he couldn’t tell what type of wood it was over the phone. I took a chance. It’s the first time I burn poplar but hopefully not the last. It may not make sense for some people but to me it does. To each his own. I have an arborist friend and can get tons of ash but this load of poplar made my day.

Last edited:
I burn a lot of poplar and pine also...no one wants it, it is easy to split, and it is great to burn in the shoulder season so all my hardwood is saved for the real cold weather. Doesn't last as long as hardwoods but still heats well & makes for pretty fires.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Hey EPS . . . you still here?

Don't let some of the posts get you down.

Yes, pine and poplar are not the best of wood when it comes to BTUs, but many of us burn them. Heck, I spent a few hours yesterday helping a buddy clean up two large pine trees with the pine being dropped off in my door yard. Do I need the pine? Nope. I am something like five or six years ahead and mostly have hardwood. However, free wood is free wood . . . if you have the space, time or need I say burn what you've got.

As for the time and mileage . . . yeah . . . I get it. I have a 45 minute commute which translates into 33 or so miles to work each day. It's rural New England. Growing up I never could wrap my mind around other kids who would only have a 5-10 minute drive to go to the movies, grocery store, shopping, etc. when for us it was pretty much a 45 minute drive at a minimum.

I live on 12 acres of woods. I only cut down what has died, for my fire wood.

Besides beetle infested pine, most of my standing dead wood is large red oak.

I had one die this year that is 40 inches through the butt around 90 feet tall, a lot of

work for a old man.

I have so much red oak I split it kindling size and mix with my pine for starting fires.

I try to stay 2 years ahead on my firewood because red oak takes a while to season.

Happy burning!

Reactions: StudlyHogly