Craigslist Score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 24, 2017
Adirondacks
After numerous attempts to buy a used Jøtul F500 I finally got lucky. So many people who list stuff for sale but never seem to follow through with the sale for different reasons. Well after trying for several months I got this Jotul F500 blue/black enamel for $500. A guy was renovating a home he purchased and was getting rid of it. The stove was dirty like the owner didn’t burn it hot enough. Looks lightly used. Cleaned up real nice! Anything I should look for in particular before putting into service? No warping or cracks found. Stove is square. I will be replacing all the gaskets with new ones. Is there also a way to determine the year of manufacture? Thanks!

Attachments

• E0D416E7-59DC-4999-AD1C-70E8378A8F60.jpeg
    E0D416E7-59DC-4999-AD1C-70E8378A8F60.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
After numerous attempts to buy a used Jøtul F500 I finally got lucky. So many people who list stuff for sale but never seem to follow through with the sale for different reasons. Well after trying for several months I got this Jotul F500 blue/black enamel for $500. A guy was renovating a home he purchased and was getting rid of it. The stove was dirty like the owner didn’t burn it hot enough. Looks lightly used. Cleaned up real nice! Anything I should look for in particular before putting into service? No warping or cracks found. Stove is square. I will be replacing all the gaskets with new ones. Is there also a way to determine the year of manufacture? Thanks!

Wow, looks really clean, enjoy!

Reactions: Threelittlefish
Very nice find! It looks great. While it's clean inspect around the grate carefully for any hairline cracks in the base. This can happen when people use the ashpan door as a startup air supply. Don't do that.

Very nice . I would hold off on replacing any gaskets unless you see they need to be replaced. Just sayin.

There should be a metal tag affixed to the back of the stove with the serial number and date of manufacture. If there is a rear heat shield installed, you may have to remove it to see the tag .