Cranking up the storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Well its that time of year for me to crank up the storage. Cold nights expected this week and daytime temps are going to make a need for heat. I always forget how long it takes to bring it up from 60 degrees.

The boiler is pretty primitive compared to the current gasifiers, but hard to justify a 10k investment for a new one while the Burnham is still going. It does burn clean as I cleaned my chimney for the third time in 26 years with no trace of creosote, despite having less than ideal wood last winter.

Reactions: flyingcow
Did mine today too after I switched to Bladder expansion tanks. No more propane for heat.

gg

My rig takes the better part of a full day to get up to temp each fall. By the time the refractories dry out, return temps get stabilized, etc and so on it's several full loads of wood for me. It's usually a highly enjoyable day...

Status
Not open for further replies.