Crawlspace dehumidification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Well, after about 15 years of debate, and putting it off, I finally pulled the trigger on dehumidifiers in my crawl space. A few years ago I layed a new vapor barrier, which helped a lot. I was always of the opinion that a house needs to breathe. Well, in the summer, with the humid air mixing with the cool air under the house, that caused big problems in July aug and sept. Things stay pretty dry in the spring, fall, and winter months.

This year I cut some foam board and sealed the vents, and installed two dehumidifiers, one on each side (it’s separated by block with two small openings). They both drain to a sump pump. I went with the Alorair hdi65 model. They cost about $700 each. They each ran for about 7 days straight before getting it below 60 percent, and now it’s stabilized with them cycling on and off throughout the day. Man what a difference!!!! It is now dry as a bone under there. Now, I did not encapsulate completely, just sealed off the ground and the vents, which seems to have been quite sufficient. I plan to turn off the dehumidifiers in the fall and winter, and unblock the vents (they open and close automatic according to temp outside), to allow ventilation during the non humid months, when it naturally stays dry under there.

I’m amazed at how much of a difference this has made. I used to have wet insulation, wet joists, and puddles on my vapor barrier in the summer. Everything has completely dried up. I’m hoping the electric to run them is reasonable. They are both 120v. In total, with installing a gfci breaker in the box, and new outlet in the crawlspace, I have about $2k in the project. If the dehumidifiers hold up, it’s well worth the money in my opinion

Reactions: EbS-P
I need to do something similar.

I’m going to question why you would want open the vents up?

During the fall/winter you will be venting with Air that is colder than the crawl space. And probably at a high RH some of the time. Once you have a decent vapor barrier and the outside air is drier I don’t see the the dehumidifiers running that much.

At any rate two killawatt meters and one of these would make a great experiment to track the humidity and power usage.

Govee Hygrometer Thermometer, Wireless Thermometer, Mini Bluetooth Humidity Sensor with Notification Alert, Data Storage and Export, 262 Feet Connecting Range https://a.co/d/34PAAWO

I vote keep it sealed

I need to do something similar.

I’m going to question why you would want open the vents up?

During the fall/winter you will be venting with Air that is colder than the crawl space. And probably at a high RH some of the time. Once you have a decent vapor barrier and the outside air is drier I don’t see the the dehumidifiers running that much.

At any rate two killawatt meters and one of these would make a great experiment to track the humidity and power usage.

Govee Hygrometer Thermometer, Wireless Thermometer, Mini Bluetooth Humidity Sensor with Notification Alert, Data Storage and Export, 262 Feet Connecting Range https://a.co/d/34PAAWO

I vote keep it sealed
I guess that’s my old belief that a house needs to breathe. The air is also much drier and I’ve never had any moisture issues except for in the summer. So it will save on the electric, and the wear and tear in the equipment. I suppose we will see what happens this winter. That’s just my initial thought tho.

Reactions: EbS-P
Number one rule for preventing material degradation is moisture control. The reason we thought houses needed to breathe was we didn’t do a good enough job at controlling the moisture so…. We had to dry it out some how and hopefully soon enough that damage wasn’t done. I do think you will notice the extra electrical usage. But. The extra $20 a month during the humid times of year is just the cost of protecting your house. Think of it as cheap home insurance.

I just installed a whole house dehumidifier. It’s remarkable the difference in comfort in the house. At some point I will get a vapor barrier down and my vents sealed and ad a dedicated dehumidifier. Maybe this winter.

Number one rule for preventing material degradation is moisture control. The reason we thought houses needed to breathe was we didn’t do a good enough job at controlling the moisture so…. We had to dry it out some how and hopefully soon enough that damage wasn’t done. I do think you will notice the extra electrical usage. But. The extra $20 a month during the humid times of year is just the cost of protecting your house. Think of it as cheap home insurance.

I just installed a whole house dehumidifier. It’s remarkable the difference in comfort in the house. At some point I will get a vapor barrier down and my vents sealed and ad a dedicated dehumidifier. Maybe this winter.
I would be EXTREMELY happy with it only being $20 more. I was guessing somewhere around $50 more. That’s with two running, each drawing about 4 amps. But we’ll see what happens. Your right tho, that’s the cost of keeping it dry.

All you really needed under their is a fan to circulate the air, no air movement and that is when moisture starts forming. Almost sounds like your vents were installed so their is no cross circulation so no air movement. I used to do construction and with proper vent installation i have yet to see any of those places have a moisture issue.

I used to run a large dehumidifier in the winter 24/7 and it made a huge difference in the comfort of the house.. But now that i run my pellet stove for my primary heat i no longer need to. My electricity usage was barley noticeable using it.

I would be EXTREMELY happy with it only being $20 more. I was guessing somewhere around $50 more. That’s with two running, each drawing about 4 amps. But we’ll see what happens. Your right tho, that’s the cost of keeping it dry.
It might be closer to $50. I assumed with the 65 in the model hummer it was a 65 pint. It’s a 120 pint. It all depends on how sealed you are ie the run time.

All you really needed under their is a fan to circulate the air, no air movement and that is when moisture starts forming. Almost sounds like your vents were installed so their is no cross circulation so no air movement. I used to do construction and with proper vent installation i have yet to see any of those places have a moisture issue.

I used to run a large dehumidifier in the winter 24/7 and it made a huge difference in the comfort of the house.. But now that i run my pellet stove for my primary heat i no longer need to. My electricity usage was barley noticeable using it.
I have good cross vent. The problem is the super high humidity in the mid altlantic.

I have good cross vent. The problem is the super high humidity in the mid altlantic.
You should try the coastal south;) Dew points of 80 degrees or more are regular. That leads to condensation on the outside of our windows!! Rh of the crawl space I saw hit 94%!!