Crazy Gas Fireplace Location & Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikH

Nov 17, 2014
Gainesville FL
Ok.

We currently have a VENTLESS gas fireplace in a crazy location in our house (an outside corner). We don't like ventless and we're looking to replace it with a direct vent fireplace + direct vent install. Of course, this means this corner will have to be remodeled. Picture attached.

* Zero Clearance * (ZDV)
I'm guessing no matter what we do, we HAVE to use zero clearance if we want the new one to have a similar look, right?

* Width Question *
The width of the current fireplace front (black border) is ~41 inches. Should I (plan a) get a ZDV fireplace with a similar assembly width (~41in) or should I play it safe and (plan b) get one that is only 36 inches wide and build out a little? I'd prefer the 41in with the wood trim coming close as it is now. The mantle can move up if necessary.

* Direct Vent * (zig zag ok?)
I'd like the vent to go 6.5 feet up from the new fireplace to the attic, then run horizontal 7-8 feet and then up to the roof line 4-5 feet. We don't want rear vent, and we don't want it to go straight up (cosmetic reasons). There's room for the horizontal vent piece to go diagonal if necessary (close to 45 degrees), but that may be tight. Thoughts?

* Fireplaces I'm looking at *
I've been looking at the Kingston HBZDV3624 online. The small local vendor in town only supplies Majestic and only have 2 models in the store. The catalog is tiny and hard to select from without prices.

---

Is this whole thing a whole thing a TERRIBLE idea?

Feel free to chime in on any part of this.

Attachments

• IMG_3929.jpg
    IMG_3929.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 171
Been moved over to the gas room.

Status
Not open for further replies.