Crazy warm temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Our idyllic temps went poof yesterday ... and in came some snow. Nothing substantial where I live but an 45 minute drive away to the east they had some accidents. I had to take a drive west and ... nothing:) I can live with waiting a bit to drive in the snow;)

The upper mid-west got some winter weather too.

Meanwhile up north, a bit more info. The dark red line is the 2016 arctic sea ice concentration. It's not looking good.
arctic ice.jpg
https://www.buzzfeed.com/dinograndoni/arctic-sea-ice-is-freakishly-low-right-now

Last edited:
Per National Snow & Ice Center: Sea ice provides a resting and birthing place for seals and walrus, a hunting and breeding ground for polar bears, and a foraging ground for arctic fox, whales, caribou, and other mammals. A lack of ice and poor ice conditions cause stress for marine mammals and ultimately affect their livelihoods and abilities to reproduce. https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/seaice/environment/mammals.html

More polar bears will be in towns like Churchill, MB since reduced ice limits hunting grounds...

No doubts the earth is going thru a cycle.
Overall my info shows not really global warming as the equatorial and temperate areas
have dropped temps a bit, but the polar warming is going to change global airflow patterns.
Gonna be an interesting decade or two ahead...... Nothing on this scale has ever happened
that there is any historic records of. Uncharted territory. Droughts across America and Siberia?
Monsoons in Death Valley if the jet shifts and stays south? Stock up on the wood n' pemmican.

Agreed. There's Antarctic earth being exposed for the first time in known history, and we get
to be ringside for the fallout. Hopefully slowly enough to adapt as we go along as a species.
This is bigger than most folks know about. Only recently have I begun reading the NOAA articles
and whatnot to increase my understanding. This doesn't get much news coverage yet it's changing
the planet, or about to big time.

Of course, 2016 is not even over yet. The trend however is well below average now for several years with 2016 taking the lead, though 2012 was not a good year either.
sea ice arctic.png

2 days ago, Friday had a low of 14 degrees. Today it is expected to reach 60 degrees and then back down to 19 tomorrow night. Crazy swings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
That's nuts!

Back to the 60s for the next couple of days, and the forecast for next week is well into the 50s. I expect to see a lot of plants begin to awaken, probably to get blasted by snow in March.

Our winter has ended up unseasonably chilly. Coldest since 1985. Guess that cold had to go somewheres.

Big wobbles and dips in the jet stream now that cut across the country.

Yesterday was a great day in the low 60s, high humidity, felt like spring. Took the opportunity to change the oil in the Jeep. This morning it is back to the 30s.

The upper mid-west got some winter weather too.

Meanwhile up north, a bit more info. The dark red line is the 2016 arctic sea ice concentration. It's not looking good.
View attachment 188377
https://www.buzzfeed.com/dinograndoni/arctic-sea-ice-is-freakishly-low-right-now
Yep, once enough of the ice and permafrost melts and the feedback loop takes over, the change will really accelerate.

Other than fossil fuel company shareholders, I am still trying to understand why anyone would want to ignore the established science and deny that this is happening.

Reactions: vinny11950
Agreed. There's Antarctic earth being exposed for the first time in known history, and we get
to be ringside for the fallout. Hopefully slowly enough to adapt as we go along as a species.
This is bigger than most folks know about. Only recently have I begun reading the NOAA articles
and whatnot to increase my understanding. This doesn't get much news coverage yet it's changing
the planet, or about to big time.
Well done, Cheap. It's great that you are taking the initiative to educate yourself on this and sharing. We can only hope that enough of us follow your example to turn the tide, but it's not looking good right now!

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
Winter is back in the Northeast this weekend with a snow storm and low temps forecast for the weekend. And the long range outlook looks below average. Gonna need more pellets.

Yep, once enough of the ice and permafrost melts and the feedback loop takes over, the change will really accelerate.

Other than fossil fuel company shareholders, I am still trying to understand why anyone would want to ignore the established science and deny that this is happening.
Because its less about established science (wrought with corruption and meddling of data) and more like an irrefutable religion.

Burn them at the stakes if they don't agree!! That is why those of us that question data forced on us by a completely biased media cartel, scientists that get all of their money from government grants, and institutions who would lose funding if they questioned man made global warming (or cooling, or change,,,or whatever the flavor of the day is) have our doubts.

If you are really asking why, that's the reason. I'm not interested in a debate..I'm just answering your question from my point of view. Seriously, I'm not interested in debate. It is one of those issues like gun control. You either fall on one side or the other and almost no one changes teams.

Reactions: Highbeam
Because its less about established science (wrought with corruption and meddling of data) and more like an irrefutable religion.

Burn them at the stakes if they don't agree!! That is why those of us that question data forced on us by a completely biased media cartel, scientists that get all of their money from government grants, and institutions who would lose funding if they questioned man made global warming (or cooling, or change,,,or whatever the flavor of the day is) have our doubts.

If you are really asking why, that's the reason. I'm not interested in a debate..I'm just answering your question from my point of view. Seriously, I'm not interested in debate. It is one of those issues like gun control. You either fall on one side or the other and almost no one changes teams.

I'm not interested in debate on this topic either, and I'm sorry that I didn't make my point better, so I'll try to make it another way with a couple of questions, only because I like you, Sport:

If you are right, what is the upside to you personally, and to mankind, and to all of creatures that accompany us on this fishbowl floating around in space? And, if you are wrong, what's the downside?

I'm actually most interested in your personal benefit that elicits such passion in defense of the fossil fuel industry. I'm relatively certain that they don't reciprocate. I, on the other hand, actually am on your side.

I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just trying to understand.

I do disagree that folks don't change sides, and that it is anything like religion or gun control.

Last edited:
I'll answer by PM so the EV's and Prius don't circle my woodstack and ironically set me on fire. ;lol

I kid..because I like you guys and know you can take it. :)

I'll answer by PM so the EV's and Prius don't circle my woodstack and ironically set me on fire.

Watch out, those electric batteries go boom!

The poor crocuses got 3 inches of snow last week and are about to get slammed again. They never even got a chance to open up. Next year little guys. But when nature takes it away in one part it gives it back in another.

California is reported to be having a beautiful wildflower outbreak in the deserts because of all the rain they got earlier.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-bloom-illuminates-california-desert/70001090

Reactions: sportbikerider78
I'll answer by PM so the EV's and Prius don't circle my woodstack and ironically set me on fire. ;lol

I kid..because I like you guys and know you can take it. :)
You are right about that! We are among friends here. It'd be pretty boring if we all agreed about everything. And, I think generally if you are willing to do the work necessary to heat with wood, there's someone with a strong will around.

Reactions: sportbikerider78