Creosote concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twofarthings

Oct 6, 2008
MidCoast Maine
Hello - Husband and I have joined with all the other newbies to the wood stove crowd.

We have just started up our LOPI 7500 a few times. Since it has been chilly but not really cold yet we have not had the air control open very far and kept the fire on the smaller slower side.

The temp. on the stack thermometer has been showing considerably less than the 300 degrees that I understand is desirable to avoid creosote buildup. Should we be concerned about that in the early fall warmer weather? The window did darken badly but did clean up okay.

My husband is asking what the difference is in a burning a slower fire at the lower temps now - and with banking the fire down when we start using the stove overnight?

THANKS in advance for any help - sure with heating costs producing lots of us beginners you are all inundated!

Shorter, smaller, hot fires are how we heat in the shoulder seasons. You are better off starting a small, hot fire as the first burn of the day. Get the stove up over 4-500, then let the stove go out if the place is warm enough.

The key to keeping that chimney and glass clean is to start the fire off hot. Kindling and small wood splits with the air all the way open. Since the mass of the stove takes a while, usually 30 minutes to an hour to get hot, you aren't going to overheat the place starting up the stove. This gets the chimney temperature up to a desirable range fast and then as the stove warms up you then start backing down the input air to maintain it at the temperature you desire.

This allows the worst part of the creosote causing moisture and volatiles to be burned off before you moderate the air input.

yaya, I tell my wife all the time "burn it hot" :)

each time I fire the Oslo I take it right up to 550 degrees, just for the fun of it, then back 'er off......especially during early fall, late winter.

That will make my husband LOL too.

Before we moved to Maine last year this time we lived very near FRederick MD - close to Gettysburg - so hi to down there and thanks again!

Hum, husband and wife on same screen name. sounds like a posible domestic. Wife most likely wears pants

Status
Not open for further replies.