Creosote forming on face of stove, under glass, above gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
When I did my 2 am reload, I noticed a black spot of creosote on the face of the stove, behind the door, at the bottom. It stops where the gasket contacts the face.

The spot was about 2" wide. At the 10 am reload, the spot had grown to about 4".

What's going on?

First instinct is that there's a gasket issue, either the door gasket or window gasket.

What is your wood MC?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
See if subequent fires burn it off, I've have rogue pieces leave a black Mark on the glass only to burn off later.

I'm sure I have a few rogue pieces of too wet wood, don't have a moisture meter, and probably never will. Honestly dont want to think about it that much. Pretty good judge of moisture after 25 years of burning and paying close attention.

That said, I probably have almost 5 years css, with a good system for keeping track of the age, and another 5 either already cut into rounds, on the ground, or standing dead. 3-4 years of tulip poplar in the stacks, and most of what I'm burning these days. Generally it's very low in creasote.

It's not on the glass, it's on the steel face behind the door. Glass is clean as can be in front of the spot. First time I've seen it, my guess is it was a wet piece or two and a gasket that's getting long in the tooth.

Run it hot and long it will clean up

I'm sure I have a few rogue pieces of too wet wood, don't have a moisture meter, and probably never will. Honestly dont want to think about it that much. Pretty good judge of moisture after 25 years of burning and paying close attention.

That said, I probably have almost 5 years css, with a good system for keeping track of the age, and another 5 either already cut into rounds, on the ground, or standing dead. 3-4 years of tulip poplar in the stacks, and most of what I'm burning these days. Generally it's very low in creasote.

It's not on the glass, it's on the steel face behind the door. Glass is clean as can be in front of the spot. First time I've seen it, my guess is it was a wet piece or two and a gasket that's getting long in the tooth.
Can you post a picture? Could be a failing gasket.

I get that usually for two reasons. First is a piece of wood is contacting the glass and blocking the air flow. Second is I load it up at night and shut the air down resulting in lower temps (3-350 instead of 4-600) and not as strong of a secondary.
Not sure where it was on your stove if it was the door or the glass.

I get that usually for two reasons. First is a piece of wood is contacting the glass and blocking the air flow. Second is I load it up at night and shut the air down resulting in lower temps (3-350 instead of 4-600) and not as strong of a secondary.
Not sure where it was on your stove if it was the door or the glass.
I believe both of your observations reflect what happened here. The little woman loaded the stove before retiring for the evening after I had fallen asleep on the couch. She often closes it down before it's really ready because she's trying to hit the sack. I'm frankly delighted that she loads it at all, so my mid-night reload can be at 4 or 5 instead of 1 or 2.

Reactions: Allagash350