Creosote in firebox of VC Resolute Acclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
A friend of mine has been following my expedition to purchase/install a wood stove so, being the friend she is, she is thinking of doing the same thing. She found a non-cat VC Resolute Acclaim (used) and had me come look at it with her & her husband. I didn't see any warping or other evidence of over heating, seals passed the dollar bill test but the firebox has creosote built up on the sides about 1/4" thick. It looks like veins and it is very glossy. I know nothing about VC's or used units. I told my friend I would post here and ask: Is this build up normal for a VC that has only been used for 2 seasons (the stove is 4 yrs. old).

Shari

It's normal if they burned wet wood or cold fires. It'll burn off.
Check out the ceramic refractory box in the back as well as you can. They are fragile and expensive to replace.
It is somewhat viewable through the stove collar and the floor of the firebox. Just try to see that it is intact. Some flaking/crumbling is to be expected.

Since I don't know much about this type of stove is there a photo of what a 'good' refractory is supposed to look like? I've looked at the parts list for this stove but all they are showing is a rectangular box. If this needs replacement what is a ballpark cost? I understand VC has gone through some changes lately from the posts I have read - so is this part readily available? (It is kind of fun spending someone else's money for a change......!) :)

Shari

Look down the flue collar (bring a flashlight).
The top of the box shouldn't have any holes. The sides of the box should have a square hole.
A replacement is @ $250 and a bit of a chore to install.
Check the gasket the the damper closes onto while you're looking down the flue collar.
Try the damper handle on the right side. You should feel it lock when you turn it clockwise.

Shari,

It sure sound like the previous owner could have burned much unseasoned wood or other materials with paint, coatings or even trash. Can you get a look at a piece of the original stove pipe?

Brian VT said:
Look down the flue collar (bring a flashlight).
The top of the box shouldn't have any holes. The sides of the box should have a square hole.
A replacement is @ $250 and a bit of a chore to install.
Check the gasket the the damper closes onto while you're looking down the flue collar.
Try the damper handle on the right side. You should feel it lock when you turn it clockwise.

Well, the stove is still completely connected so I know she can't see it now but will pass this info on to her. I did notice that when we first moved the damper it only opened about 1/2" and didn't want to open further until I physically pushed the damper plate back. Moving it later with the handle it did seem a bit stiff but maybe this is because it hadnt been used for a couple of years. I don't recall feeling the damper 'lock' when closing it.... hmmmm......

Shari

Valhalla said:
Shari,

It sure sound like the previous owner could have burned much unseasoned wood or other materials with paint, coatings or even trash. Can you get a look at a piece of the original stove pipe?

I will pass this info along to my friend. Good idea - wonder why I didn't think of that when I was there???? The grey matter must be sluggish with the onset of winter here in Wisconsin - snow flurries yesterday! Ugh!

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.