Creosote prevention question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodstovelover

Dec 27, 2018
chimney
I recently started using the top-down method for starting my fires. So far I am loving the results.
It gets my stove hot very quick especially the stove pipe. My question is, will this method help keep
creosote buildup down in my stove pipe? My wood is very dry and produces no smoke out the chimney.
I also wonder though as the fire dies down and temperatures drop in the stove pipe will creosote then begin to form even though no smoke is present in my stove or chimney? Thank you!

I recently started using the top-down method for starting my fires. So far I am loving the results.
It gets my stove hot very quick especially the stove pipe. My question is, will this method help keep
creosote buildup down in my stove pipe? My wood is very dry and produces no smoke out the chimney.
I also wonder though as the fire dies down and temperatures drop in the stove pipe will creosote then begin to form even though no smoke is present in my stove or chimney? Thank you!
No at that point there is nothing left to form creosote.

Reactions: woodstovelover
Thank you, that was my suspicion but wanted confirmation. If any creosote was present would that hot fire, in the beginning, help clean
the stove pipe?

Thank you, that was my suspicion but wanted confirmation. If any creosote was present would that hot fire, in the beginning, help clean
the stove pipe?
No the only way to clean creosote already in the pipe is by mechanically cleaning.